+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In between - what I mean about going back to Jesus' teaching instead of the old testabment is more about their attitudes rather than what they actually teach. Sorry I didn't make that clear. Jesus taught love and acceptance and some schools have this as their motto, which is why some accept all types (gay/single mum etc) while others are still stuck in the old testament and can't seem to accept those other variables. As much as it's awful and unfair, it is their right.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

InBetween  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    'Preference' or 'specialty' does not equal 'discrimination' !

Yes there are "girls schools" and "boys schools" - and I don't think it is discrimination that the girls school doesn't accept and enrolment of a boy.

So in that sense I understand teh preference system in place at a Religious school as someone has outlined.

But... The the refusal of education of a child based on the sexuality of their parents is ABSURD!

I have a friend who enrolled her daughter at this very school because it has small classes and a strict lunch routine that suit her because her daughter is aniphalactic(SP?) to eggs! ..and it's a bonus that her cousins go there because my friend doesn't drive so - logistically her sister can drop her daughter home if her husband is busy.
    -- yes - her daughter was christened [mostly out of 'tradition' as the family is not 'practising' anything but they believe in heaven and hell and that's just about all when it comes down to 'religion'. I know for a FACT that my friend has had multiple sexual partners before marriage, uses a varity of birth control including having a couple of abortions.
    I didn't hear of HER being questioned about THESE things - which also are a huge part of the Catholic way of life are they not!?

It was not mentioned in the article whether or not this family are people of faith or not or whether or not teh child in question had been christened or baptised (I obviously don't know the difference :P) or not.
    I'm pretty sure there are people out there living in a same sex relationship that still 'believe' in "god" and hold the same basic values as anyone else that attends a school or church.

Des you made a point that many of us don't like the idea of religion at state school yet are appalled at this -- well...yes..I will admit to being one of these people. To be blunty honest "I" personally believe religion is a load of rot and don't wish for my children tpo be indoctrined at their public state school.
    And yep I do - kind of agree with the statement - 'why on earth would you WANT to send your child their if it is not YOUR belief'
    ..but like I mentioned before - I have a friend who sends her child to this school for a handful of OTHER reasons that are not based on religion - if she has the freedom to make that choice --WHY ..in this MODERN age - did a mother who lives with another woman receive a slap in the face?
    -- the daughter is not homosexual as far as we know right..she is only a child!

The school got GREAT advice to change their decision.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 20-12-2011 at 11:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As far as I am aware, you dont have to be a Catholic to go to a Catholic school around here. You just need to accept and respect their teachings and ideals.
    Im pentacost, but if I had the $$$ I would be sending DS to a Catholic school. Even if that meant respecting their ideals and teachings, when I dont completely agree with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's just the way it is. Would a muslim school accept children who didn't wear the burqa? Or children who's parents didn't wear the burqa or practiced homosexuality? NO! Because they, as a religion, have certain beliefs so when one sends their child to a school of that religion then they expect that that religion is going to live by the laws of that religion. This IS acceptable and this ISN'T discrimination...as per the law of the land.

Thankfully not all religious schools are like that....and that's great. But some are! and I believe that those schools that are like that be avoided by those who don't hold onto certain dogma of that particular religion.

This is logic to me. I don't understand what the argument is. Yes it would be great if no school or even churches were like that....but they are and there is. That's that! And they have the right to be like that. No use complaining about it...it's life. Maybe if enough people took their kids elsewhere and those schools were threatened closure because of it, it might make some rethink their 'rules'. Or maybe more priests need to look into it. But I don't trust priests either so.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    'Preference' or 'specialty' does not equal 'discrimination' !
    Well yes it does. And there are exemptions under the law that provide for this to prevent people from crying foul and taking legal action etc.

Yes there are "girls schools" and "boys schools" - and I don't think it is discrimination that the girls school doesn't accept and enrolment of a boy.
    Well you might not think so but under the law this is another form of discrimination and one that is exempted under legislation.

Do you see a load of men banging down the door to join Fernwood Gym? Um..nooo....

Its discrimination! Plain and simple!
    Well of course it is, Lollie. That’s the point. There is no suggestion the people involved are monsters. The issue was that the parents of the said girl were engaged in a lifestyle that was not in accordance with the teachings of the Catholic Church. To that end, they were initially denied an enrolment for their child on the basis that they were not prepared to witness the church's teachings to their child. I can understand why this happened and I think that too many people these days are too quick to cry about their rights being denied when they haven’t bothered to investigate what their obligations are prior to them seeking entitlement to what they feel are their rights.

I think Sunnyflower puts it perfectly when she says:

I really think people are just very arrogant these days and expect too much. Where is these parents respect?
    I note that in the fallout of this story, a lot of people are asking the very same question too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to InBetween For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my argument is - the school's double standards!!

And I think telling people..'that's life get over it' is COMPLETELY rude.

If the school was questioning EVERYONE at that school re their sexual history and use of contraception etc etc ..then fine - but they are not!

Again - reading comments on the articles and speaking to various people ..not ALL Catholics are against same sex relationships - nor do they try to assert authority over those that are in one.

I just want to know WHY this is as you put it Des "accepted and the law of the land"?? WHY are churches and religious schools ABOVE the laws that everyone else abides by?

If this school was ONLY accepting people who were strict Catholics I could see that as being their 'preference' or 'market' - much like the gym example.
    But they don't - they have VARIOUS people attending that school... not ALL are living according to their RULES or 'qualifications'.
    So they aren't discriminating against non-catholics as a whole ..they were discriminating against ONE single family based on living arrangements.

This is mainly what has miffed me with the situation - that and the fact it is almost 2012 and a large group of people still seem to be in the dark ages re same sex relationship.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand why it is difficult for some people to deal with what is termed affirmative discrimination, particularly when we live in a society that is used to getting everything they want. I accept this.

However, we are not talking about Catholic people. We are referring to the doctrine espoused by the Catholic Church. They are not above the law as you suggest. If we were speaking about an Aboriginal school would there be as much indignation? Probably not. But because it's religion based this tends to translate as a free for all bashing.

.they were discriminating against ONE single family based on living arrangements.
    Well, according to a statement actually made by one of the parents, the school did not base their refusal on the above.

Five, are you actually aware of what the precept was for enrolment refusal? Because you don't appear to have outlined it in your post.

that and the fact it is almost 2012 and a large group of people still seem to be in the dark ages re same sex relationship.
    Again, the point has been missed. While you may accept homosexuality as being normal or an acceptable way to live or be, others do not. Not espousing a lifestyle choice does not mean you are in the dark ages. It simply means you are exercising a personal freedom, the very freedom that you and others promote. And that is something you simply cannot legislate against. Part of living in a community is understanding, accepting and respecting that everyone has different views and different ways of living.

If you wish to join a group whose values you do not espouse one has to wonder what your true motives are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of the mothers told the ABC the principal had phoned her and said the women's relationship and living situation was the reason the application had been turned down.

Trevor Rynne, principal of the Sacred Heart school, yesterday confirmed the girl had been rejected because of her parents' relationship but declined to comment further.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/as-o...#ixzz1h4XLaBim

My bold. From the article.

it kind of looks that way to me...

also from the article -- A bit of 'community' input.
    (remembering this is a town I grew up in ..I agree with Wincen.)

“To be truthful, this whole story came to most people in Broken Hill as a bit of a shock,” Mr Cuy said. “This is not how we do things around here. Apparently, the decision has now been overturned, so one could say that common sense has prevailed. Broken Hill has a very strong gay and lesbian community, who are completely accepted as part of the social fabric of Broken Hill.”

Also from the article...

Stepan Kerkyasharian, President of the NSW Anti-Discrimination board said: "It's a breach of the Anti-Discrimination Act, there's no question about it. But a religious school is probably exempt from that breach."

I 'get' that the school is exempt..I do get that.
    Doesn't mean I have to accept that

Am glad to know people like this >>
    Acting Bishop for the Wilcannia/Forbes diocese Kevin Manning said he was appalled by a decision taken by the Sacred Heart Primary School at Broken Hill to refuse a girl a kindergarten place on the basis of her parents' relationship
    <<< exist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by InBetween View Post

Well, according to a statement actually made by one of the parents, the school did not base their refusal on the above.

Five, are you actually aware of what the precept was for enrolment refusal? Because you don't appear to have outlined it in your post.

my above post was answering this

Sorry - forgot to quote

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mr Kerkyasharian is not correct. If an exemption is granted then a breach cannot occur.

I find that people are conditioned to understand discrimination in one context, usually a negative one. They tend not to understand elements such as selective enrolments, auditions etc. and assume that, in one way or another, if someone is "left out" then it's wrong, unlawful and it's unfair.

Further, you stated in your previous post that the refusal made as a result of living arrangements.

You then posted a quote stating the refusal was made as a result of the parents' relationship.

The two are not the same thing.

As I have stated in a previous post, the parents were reportedly not willing to witness the teachings of the church to their daughter (for example, that homosexuality is not an accepted lifestyle or practice by the Catholic Church) and it was on that basis, among others, the enrolment was refused. To Catholics, this is an important tenet. If you don't wish to follow their tenets, then why seek inclusion?

I would also like to point out again that the enrolment was then refused by the parents who are now vocally complaining that their daughter is still not allowed to attend.

Quite frankly, I find their behaviour rather dubious to say the least.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to InBetween For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (21-12-2011)