+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoarsomeMum View Post
    I hope she has a MOST ENJOYABLE Kinder experience!
    I hope she makes friends, is invited to birthday parties, enjoys the full range of social and emotional development we all hope kinder offers our kids..

I REALLY hope she is never made to feel different, bad or ashamed that she has 2 loving parents.
    I'm pretty sure... [not certain - but you know, just going from the grape vine] - that the parents refused the offer once made.

RoarsomeMum is offline Right to speak, responsibility to listen..
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I still hope she does!!!! I am pretty sure intolerance breeds beyond the bounds of religious unions and schools.. (sadly..)

So no matter WHERE any of our kids go to school or Kinder and no matter what our home situations are I hope our kids get a full range of fun joy and acceptance.. Peace out all!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RoarsomeMum For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (15-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    the school has since done a backflip and accepted the student,
    No, the school didn't backflip. The Bishop of the Wilcannia/Forbes diocese who was appalled by the decision, intervened and ordered the school to accept the student at which point the school then offered to enrol the girl.

The mothers have now chosen to decline the enrolment.

Just in relation to another comment, religious schools are allowed to discriminate and some choose to. For example, the local Islamic school does not accept non Islamic students. You must adopt Islam as your religion if you are to attend there. And they are well within their rights to do so under the exemptions in the current legislation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=FiveInTheBed;6256812]Sorry OP - I missed your thread before I opened mine (reeling from shock)
    /QUOTE]

its all good

Thanks
    Reviews
    They have a right to discriminate on grounds of religion. That's terrible and all that but that's life.

I woudln't send my kid to a religious school if you paid me because I don't want religion shoved down my kid's throat....the contentious issue of homosexuality is merely ONE aspect that is in contention at most religious schools. But they have a right to be there, they have the right to allow who they wish to allow into their school adn that's that.

People don't want religious education at state schools and scream for peeps to send their kids to a religious school if that's what they want.....then they wish to dictate what the religious school teaches, you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you don't like what a certain religion teaches then don't be a part of that religion. We do have freedom of religion in this country.

It's good that some religious schools have chosen to fall back on Jesus' teachings rather than religion, but not all are like that, some are still stuck in the old testament and we, as a society have to accept it. Can't please everyone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you been to a religion based school, Deserama? I have.

And while there was certainly a religious ethos that was prevalent in the school, I don't recall religion being shoved down my throat. I do, however, recall that one girl who was of a different religion, did cause absolute havoc because "her rights weren't being addressed" in relation to HER beliefs. That the school chose to accept her enrolment despite these fundamental differences went beyond her tiny mind and, as a result, a lot of people suffered because of it.

Likewise, I have a friend who teaches at a state school in Brisbane and she often comments about the unbelieveable troubles she has with parents of a religion I won't name demanding that their children don't do music or PE "their religion doesn't allow it" and insist that an item of banned clothing be worn because "their religon demands it". The school refuses to accomodate these requests as they are entitled to discriminate on the basis that it serves the school body as a whole. So it can happen both ways and in both ways I support discrimination in this context.

I often wonder why bother attending a school that clearly defines itself as being a given thing (be that a performing arts school, a Montessori school, a sports school or a religion based school etc) when you are of another kind and are not prepared to fit in.

To me, discrimination is not always a terrible thing. Many schools actively discriminate as to who is permitted to attend classes there and who doesn't. Near where I am there's a school that clearly has a specialty where students who share that specialty (eg. sports/performing arts) are invited to attend. If you do not have that specialty then you attend another school. Freedom does not translate to entitlement.

the contentious issue of homosexuality is merely ONE aspect that is in contention at most religious schools.
    In my experience, I have not found this to be so. Yes, for some faiths it can be a contentious issue but at school I found it to be discussion point rather than a burning issue (truth be known, abortion was a bigger issue than being gay - the school showed "Silent Scream" and completely did all our heads in) and other schools I am aware of chose to tolerate it. Gays actively participate in a lot of churches, including the Catholic Church.

It's good that some religious schools have chosen to fall back on Jesus' teachings rather than religion, but not all are like that, some are still stuck in the old testament and we, as a society have to accept it.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. I have not experienced this. With reference to high school, the theological component of our studies did not focus on Jesus at all but stretched across a number of issues such as ethics and morality, world religions, ritual and the sacred, spirituality, divine reading, life choices, heroic concepts....I found it fascinating actually and not "church driven" at all. In fact, the reason I chose to attend a religion based school in high school is that for the first three years of my schooling, we lived in an area where the only school on offer was a religion based school. When we moved to another area, I was so traumatised by the stark and cold difference in the primary state school I attended, I vowed to continue my schooling in a religion based school when I transitioned to year 8. To be allowed to enrol, I had to be christened which I consented to. While I am not a church goer or participant of any church in my adulthood, I did what I did to enhance my schooling.

And I believe I did the right thing.

Those mothers aren't serving their daughter well by refusing the enrolment because "they are hurt" (newspaper reported this). I think both sides need to come together in understanding and move beyond the initial insult. After all, it's all about a young girl's education, not her parents' sexuality, right?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to InBetween For This Useful Post:

mandlsmum  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really don't see why people are so appalled by this at all.

This is the Catholic church and this is THEIR school.It is well known that they do NOT condone homosexuality.Wether you think this is good or bad,this is what these people believe.So why on earth would you want to send your child to a place that does NOT accept your lifestyle choice? Thats just bizzare.

Private schools have every right to accept/decline any application they want.They are under no obligation to accept you and quite frankly if i was a practicing catholic and i wanted to get my child into a school and i found out a non believers child was accepted in front of mine i wouldn't be impressed.

I really think people are just very arrogant these days and expect too much.Where is these parents respect?

Oh and i'm not catholic.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (20-12-2011),InBetween  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to a catholic school. Graduated in 2009 and I am not a catholic by any means. Plus there was more bullying and drug use then any other private school where we lived it was horrible. I had to get a restraining order against a student because of bullying and all they said was they wont enforce it. So they basicly ignored the law and still let the bully near me! :-( But gay people have a right to send their kids to a "good" school and let their child get the best education he/she can. Just because their gay doesnt mean they are monsters! They want the same as every other parent wants. The best for their kids and any school who denies them that should be frowned upon. Its discrimination! Plain and simple!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Catholic and independent schools receive government funding so that ALL australians have a right to access education. If this funding wouldn't be available the pressure on the public school system would be extreme.
    I work in the catholic education system and like previous posters have said selection preferences are given to practicing Catholics in the area and then down from there. This is so that family's are witnesses to the faith and teachings of the church. Religion is not shoved down anyone's throat but our values as a school are based on the teachings of Jesus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to clarify I don't believe what the school did was right. We are there for the child at the end of the day and the child should not be cast aside because of thd parents because quite frankly if that were the case our catholic schools would be empty. 😉😉😉