+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I taught at a private Christian school, and we only accepted students that were from a Christian family, we usually required a letter from a pastor/ church leader for acceptance. They had to agree to support and uphold the Christian ethics of the school.

I don't think it is 'wrong' to do this as pp said, because we expect to provide a high quality, christian education, and we expect to work together as a team with parents in raising and training their children. How can we work in a team with parents who have opposing beliefs to the school? When we say there is only one God, and they say there is no God? It goes completely against the philosophy of the school.

Also, if someone is not a christian, why would they pay a lot of money to send their child to a school where they are immersed in christianity, and it is a part of their every day? So usually if parents were not christian, I felt like they wouldn't 'want' to come to our school any way, because Christianity was such a big part of what we do each day.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (19-12-2011),jenrose  (14-12-2011),share a book  (19-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe the parents are Catholic/Christian is why they want to send their child there. Just because they are in a same-sex relationship doesn't mean that they can't be Catholic or religious.

And I doubt every Catholic parent at that school falls into line with all of the Church's position e.g, I think the Church still believes its wrong to use contraception.

I'm glad this has now been corrected and it saddens me that they would discriminate against the girl in the first place. Yes, I understand that its private education and they can chose who can enrol, but I would hope that morally they wouldn't discriminate against the girl in the first place
    Last edited by smallpotatoes; 14-12-2011 at 14:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I havent read the replies but why would a same sex couple put their child into a school that will teach the bible which includes that being gay is a sin so this poor child will be told her parents are bad and they are sinners doesnt seem like a wise choice on the parents part

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (19-12-2011),really old  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our local Catholic School accepts anyone - but has an order...

Practising Catholics who attend THEIR church;
    Practising Catholics who attend another church;
    Non-Catholics who have siblings there;
    Non-Catholics who don't have siblings.

We hope to send our kids to it, as our local state schools are sh1t...
    I went there and then went to the local catholic high school... I'm not catholic but pentecostal...

Thanks
    Reviews
    It doesn't say in the Bible that contraceptoin is 'wrong', someone made that up, the pope or something. God does say that same sex couples are though. If same sex couples call themselves christian etc, their basicaslly making their own religion up. In the end they can say they are whatever they want, but God is real, not just a 'religion' and he has final say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As someone who went to both primary and secondary catholic school until 2001 I can assure that there are plenty of non-Catholics who attend! Many of my friends weren't catholic, weren't baptised or whatever.

After inquiring about our local catholic secondary school for my children I was told the acceptance order went like this:

Catholic children enrolled in catholic primary first

Non-catholic children enrolled in catholic primary second

Catholic children enrolled on public primary third

Based on that, what the school did was pure discrimination and is just stupid.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jenrose View Post
    It doesn't say in the Bible that contraceptoin is 'wrong', someone made that up, the pope or something. God does say that same sex couples are though. If same sex couples call themselves christian etc, their basicaslly making their own religion up. In the end they can say they are whatever they want, but God is real, not just a 'religion' and he has final say.
    Seriously? Wow.

Look, it's the school's prerogative to not admit any child, that's fine. Odd that they back flipped, but at the end of the day- it was a private school that is not required to admit all children.

But suggesting sexual orientation and an individual's religion are mutually exclusive? Codswallop.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (15-12-2011),share a book  (19-12-2011),trishalishous  (15-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yet there are other Christian denominations (or individual churches) that accept same-sex couples.

I guess my point is that they are refusing the child based on her PARENTS. I bet there are a lot of other parents that don't follow the Catholic position or the Bible word for word (and we are assuming that the word of God has been transcribed and translated correctly throughout the years).
    Last edited by smallpotatoes; 14-12-2011 at 14:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkie View Post
    Seriously? Wow.

I don't mean to be offensive or mean but Christianity can't be changed because were meant to be all modern now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But isn't it changing all the time through interpretation. Things that weren't acceptable to the church now are and vice versa?

I guess I'll just agree to disagree on this one.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (19-12-2011),trishalishous  (15-12-2011)