+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Not if there's already a tenant
    Already a tenant? I think the metaphor has gone awry somewhere along the line.

If a congregation wants to be above the standards and values that the community holds to be universal, then more power to them.

But they can damn well pay for it themselves. When the overwhelming majority of their funding comes from the public purse, it is outrageous for them to cower behind "religious freedom" as a justification for their outdated prejudices. The community has decided that it is wrong for someone to be refused access to a service based on those prejudices, and thus the community shouldn't be funding any groups that don't want to abide by that standard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought that all catholic schools that receive gov funding had to enrol a certain percentage of non-catholics to maintain that funding?

That's what my mother was told anyway when she went to enrol my brother at a catholic high school. She was quite offended at the implication that he would be accepted just to 'make up the numbers' so he ended up going elsewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have been contemplating sending my eldest to a catholic highschool for yrs 11 & 12 as his school ends at yr 10 and I'm not keen on the public choices but this whole debate has made me think long and hard about whether I want him around people who think like that and treat others in that way. It certainly isn't something to aspire to.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (22-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mettie, yes non Catholics, but they can still pick and choose who gets in and who doesn't. So if one of the non catholic kids has homosexual kids which goes fully against their believes, they can decide not to accept that child, but accept another instead.

The Catholic schools here are quite tough. I would love for my son to go to normal primary school, but it would be awesome if he could attend a Catholic highschool. Unfortunately it's not possible anymore because of his GDD and other issues.
    Though before all his issues came up, I did some research and it seems you can not enroll your child for our local Catholic highschool only. If the child has not attended a Catholic primary school, the child can not go to a Catholic highschool. Bummer. Some people belive the public primary schools are great, it's just the highschools that lack behind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    Already a tenant? I think the metaphor has gone awry somewhere along the line.

If a congregation wants to be above the standards and values that the community holds to be universal, then more power to them.

But they can damn well pay for it themselves. When the overwhelming majority of their funding comes from the public purse, it is outrageous for them to cower behind "religious freedom" as a justification for their outdated prejudices. The community has decided that it is wrong for someone to be refused access to a service based on those prejudices, and thus the community shouldn't be funding any groups that don't want to abide by that standard.
    So you think that because taxpayers fund them that they should then be dictated to by the public. Ok so does this include every institution and everyone who is being funded or supported by the taxpayer...or just anything religious related?

Very slippery slope here

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

InBetween  (26-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
    I have been contemplating sending my eldest to a catholic highschool for yrs 11 & 12 as his school ends at yr 10 and I'm not keen on the public choices but this whole debate has made me think long and hard about whether I want him around people who think like that and treat others in that way. It certainly isn't something to aspire to.
    I went to a Catholic school for both primary & secondary and there was never clear evidence of homophobia. In high school we had 3 lesbians (all girl school) and they were never treated rudely or made to feel uncomfortable in anyway.

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    So you think that because taxpayers fund them that they should then be dictated to by the public. Ok so does this include every institution and everyone who is being funded or supported by the taxpayer...or just anything religious related?

Very slippery slope here
    That is a very silly way to reframe the issue.

This isn't about victimising religion - The slippery slope in play here is to decide at what point a church should be able to enjoy the benefits of being a member of society, while refusing to accept the corresponding responsibilities.

No institution - religious OR secular - should be allowed to suckle from the public teat while demanding an exemption from human rights laws that would apply to everyone else. I understand the argument that eliminating the exemption completely could infringe on freedom of religion, but it is hypocritical and unquestionably immoral for a church to expect the right to live outside of the universal community standards, while at the same time demanding cash from a funding base that includes those against which they choose to discriminate.

The idea that religion being a separate entity is a justification for being exempt from being decent human beings is probably reasonable. But the community sure as hell shouldn't be paying them to do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think Deserama's question is a pertinent one.

There is the assumption that all private/independent schools receive government funding and a lavish amount of the public purse at that.

This isn't so.

Schools receive what funding they do based on what the government decides. There is no equality here in that 'everyone gets the same'.

In addition, funding is not solely provided on what is assumed to be 'money for this and that'. Schools apply based on a particular criteria and are provided with those funds (or not) accordingly.

I think before we start talking about human rights and bludging off the public, we should actually investigate what constitutes public funding and whether or not what we feel is a human right actually is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    All schools receive government funding. Just look at a few of the most prestigious Sydney private schools. All get a substantial amount in government funding. I'm talking millions per school and thousands per student.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 26-12-2011 at 17:34.