+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Baby led weaning support needed please

Hi all,

I started my boy on purées when he was just shy of 4 months and he was loving them!

But when he hit about 5months he seemed to lose interest and just kept trying to get stuff off my plate! That led me to pureeing casseroles etc but he wasn't interested either.

So I read a book from the library about BLW by Gill Rapley. Anyways it was really good so I decided to try the BLW avenue for a little while.

Now my problem is - I know that he won't be eating as much solids now as its a lot trickier to get into his mouth and process etc so booby will be his main source of food that's cool with me! But how little is too little? I feel a little bit like I'm setting him back by doing this? It's just hard to imagine that this will actually lead to him properly eating?

Just to paint the picture - he's having toast crusts and banana fingers with me in the morning. He eats in his high chair at the table with us each night and I just give him what I can from our meals - I.e homemade guacamole to mush and eat with his hands , strips of steamed chicken, little interesting piles of rice, capsicum etc. he is now 5.5 months old.

I know heaps of mums on here do BLW so I'm really just looking for words of wisdom/reassurance and also any hints that you guys found that made things easier for bubs?

Thank you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The things you are giving him sound fine to me. The biggest thing to remember is that "Food before 1 is just for fun".

His main source of nutrition will be milk until then. He is still just learning about food, but by the time they are 1 they are actually eating a fair bit and then it switches.

So right now, I wouldn't be worrying about how much he is getting at all. If he is trying things, that's all that matters!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (14-12-2011),lilypily  (17-12-2011),LotusMum  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started with puree at 5 months and switched to blw at 6.5 months because he just wouldn't let me feed him anymore.
    Just offer bits of what you're eating. I aim for 2 fruit/ 5 veg a day and he can eat what he feels like. some days he eats a lot and others not much at all.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    yup, what she said lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Trust me you will be fine! My DS started BLW a week shy of 6 months, for the first month he just picked up the food and sucked on it a bit, hardly swallowed anything, then at 7 months he just one day started gumming and chewing , by 8 months he was eating everything in site and by 9 months ate exactly what we did , now at 14 months he is an eating machine! My advice is don't be afraid to give him a variety of food, herbs, garlic, spices, foods you wouldn't normally eat ( I don't like olives or beetroot but DS loves both)
    People are so amazed how well my son eats and what he eats, he will happily eat any kind of salad, lettuce, olives, rocket, cucumber, cabbage, onion etc as we have salad every night with our meal so he thinks it's quite normal!
    We went out for lunch last week with 2 other mums and bubs, my DS the youngest, another boy 16 months and little girl 18 months both purée weaned, the 16 month old ate a Vegemite sandwich his mum brought from home, the little girl refused all food and apparently only now will eat bread and hot chips and my little BLW champ sat there and ate Thai crab cakes ( I ordered him his own ) and Greek salad! The Gil Rapley book is brilliant, just follow that and you will be fine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone so much for your replies - its good to have that reassurance and yes i always remind myself of the food before 1 is fun my friend was saying the other day that she has cut out all bottles bar night time one... Her baby is only 5 months old!!! So he has been going okay with his food. I spread smooshed banana onto toast and cut it into soldiers this morning and he had a good suck on a few. But feeling a bit downhearted about it again because for dinner he had some of my mashed pumpkin, steamed potatoes (mine were roasted yum), peas and I gave him a slice of meat to chew on. But he just wasnt into it - cracked the sads until I got him out of his high chair and put him into his walker until I finished my tea. He was happy as larry then just scooting around. But he is a bit crook as well, so it might just be a case of "mum, I'm not feeling well and I sure as hell ain't feeling explorative! Give me boobies!" which is understandable because when Adults are crook they generally stick to familiar, bland foods, right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did baby led weaning with my ds and he seriously wasn't into it at ALL until he was at least 14 months. He was fat as butter, happy, healthy & just heavily into the boobs it has paid off though as these days he will eat anything we eat. Hs favourite meal is thai red duck curry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd is almost 8 months and I have been doing blw since she was 6m. Some days it seems like I can give her a never ending supply of 'real' food, other days she is just not interested and has more bm instead.

My rationale is that as long as she is happy to feed herself, I'll let her. I can't force it down her throat. If I'm unsure about how much she is going to eat I just give her what I've prepared but have bananas/apples to grate/rice crackers on hand in case she cracks it and wants more!

I am learning to trust that she knows what she needs, I just need to have food available iykwim?

Some days all she wants to do is play with the food, throw it around, smear it in her hair, but that's ok too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its totally normal for them to not be interested in solids at that age, dont be down-heartened. Even after 6 months some babes arent into their food until much later. Just follow his lead as you have been doing. My DS started solids at 5 months, and wasnt into them until 6.5-7months. Some days he went with zero solids as he didnt want them. We done BLW too as he hated being spoon fed. From 6.5months he really picked up on it and would put everything in his mouth to try rather than playing with it lol. While it didnt look like he got a lot in (as at the start he spat a lot of it back out), his nappies said otherwise lol.
    now at 10.5 months he eats great, but still goes through not wanting much. This last week he hasnt wanted to eat much at all, to the point his poos went almost back to bf-ing poo's!!! Was a nasty shock to find up his backside

So just sit back and RELAX, and go with the flow. Which is SO HARD I know lol, I struggled with it for quite a while with the whole "am I doing the right thing, is he getting enough? etc". But I just reminded myself food is for fun at this age, and he's eating the amount HE wants and deems is enough.
    And especially at this age I am glad I done BLW and stuck with it, as a lot of babies in my mothers group wont eat finger foods or lumpy mashes and their mums are really stressing over it. So I'm glad I skipped that whole step and dont have to worry about it lol

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You don't have to follow it to the letter. I BLW my first child, completely baby led, and honestly I won't be doing the same with the new baby. I think there is something to be said for a balanced approach with some spoon feeding. My first child was just not an enthusiastic eater, and still struggles with spoons. As we are the kind of family who are out all day every day and eat out a lot the mess was really annoying. I persisted because I believed in it, but have ended up with a 3 year old who would still rather breastfeed than eat a meal, if given the choice.