+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tooth Brushing and Hair Mousse

Hi,

My DD is 2 and she will not let me or my hubby clean her teeth! How can I get her to do it? Don't want to hold her down and do it because that is just mean. Tried bribery, everything really.

Also is hair mousse ok to put in DD's hair? She has very obvious cow licks and her hair is impossibly fine, like ours. It is the only way I can sort of control it! I only use a tiny amount

Thanks

Di

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Maybe just try giving her the toothbrush to chew on at bath time? I know it's not as good as brushing her teeth but it's better then nothing, and she will get used to the feeling of it in her mouth.

As for the hair, I wouldn't see a problem as long as you don't use too much. I used to use hair spray/ styling products for DD1 when she was about that age (mainly because she did dancing though).

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hand her the brush and she throws it away and says, I don't want to brush my teeth! She is a determined stubborn little petal!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Take her to the shops and buy a special toothbrush. I remember when we got an electric toothbrush woth spider man, my 3yr old at the time loved it and thought it was hilarious to brush his teeth as it felt funny but he did it.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (15-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We gave DD a toothbrush to chew on at first. It was a great teether!! Then one day, i bought a colourful Dora toothbrush, Dora toothpaste and stool and basically sat her in the bathroom with me in the morning and in the evening and brushed my teeth. Id put a bit of toothpaste on hers to see what she would do and eventually, she got interested. I never forced it and always made it a positive activity.
    In order to get her to brush her teeth properly, the best we could do initially was stand behind her facing the mirror and pull her top lip up and show her how to brush her front teeth from side to side (she wont let me do it up and down).
    Every time she brushes her teeth now, i say 'show mummy how you can brush your teeth properly' and she does a big wide grin and brushes side to side. We're slowly in the process of showing her how to do the side teeth. ...She's so not interested. Patience is a virtue they say!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with previous posters, a little shopping trip where she can pick out her own special toothbrush and choose the toothpaste (my 2 love to do this) and let her hold it till it hopefully becomes less of a battle.

I have also told my 2.5 year old that I love sparkly teeth, so now as soon as her teeth are done she can't wait to come and show me her 'sparkly' teeth.

As for the hair mousse, a little won't hurt. My DD has a cow's lick too and I went and bought some of that children de-tangler spray and I use that on it, it doesn't hold as well as a mousse would, but it still keeps it in check.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hair mousse totally fine. a little does a lot and then all rinses out easily.

i alternate between just a water spray and mousse with my two girls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    I hand her the brush and she throws it away and says, I don't want to brush my teeth! She is a determined stubborn little petal!
    Something else I did when my 2 year old was refusing to brush, was to show her a picture of rotten teeth and say 'ewwww, that little girl didn't brush her teeth and now her teeth are yucky and very sore'. (Even though it was an adult mouth and no face to be seen ).

Might seem a bit drastic, but it worked a treat, as everytime she acted up at brushing time, I would remind her of the 'yucky teeth' picture and as young as she was, she understood.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 15-12-2011 at 21:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe have the whole family brush their teeth at the same time.
    I use leave in conditioner on DD1's hair, especially if she has lost patience after the shampoo, it also helps keep knot numbers down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I tried every trick in the book with DS including fancy toothbrushes, toothpaste, him having a second toothbrush to use (with toothpaste on to!), in the bath, singing, stamps, watching and me praising his older sister when I brushed her teeth..... Nothing really worked.
    I asked my (trusted) dentist and she said to just brush them even if he resists, they need to learn that brushing has to happen twice a day and it's not negotiable. DS is now 2 and 2/3 of the time is good brushing and im sure to praise it well but sometimes I still have to force it. It certainly hasn't put him off brushing them though, he rushes to the bathroom when I call out its teeth cleaning time, he's just stubborn sometimes!!
    Maybe you should visit your dentist and talk to them.