+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 5 month old suddenly waking every 2.5-3 hours overnight - tired exhausted mum help!

My 5 month old DS is really testing me atm. Around 3 months he was sleeping from 6.30/7pm through until 4/5am without a feed, and did this for about a month or so. 4 months he started waking around midnight for a feed, then around 4am for another, and although I was frustrated, I still coped ok with the waking 2x per night.
    For the past week he has been waking at 9.30pm, 12, 3 then 6am and I am absolutely exhausted! He had a head cold and at first I thought that was why but he is still repeating this general pattern a week later and I just can't go on like this, I really need some solid sleep!

We have a bedtime bath/feed/self-settle to sleep routine (usually he is asleep within 5 mins of putting him down) and he is down between 6.30-7pm every night. This was working well.

He is fully breastfed and having DH get up to do a bottle feed is out of the question, DH simply doesn't wake up!! And he travels a lot so its often just me and bub at home.

DS will not take a dummy, although I do try every night as he sometimes will take it AFTER a feed if he still hasn't settled (he often falls asleep feeding overnight, but then wakes when I take him off the boob).

Co-sleeping is also not an option, I have tried and tried but DS will not settle whilst I am in the room.

Ssh patting does not in any way shape or form work for DS. Just my mere presence in the room seems to fire him up more. My DH has tried also but has the patience of a 2yr old

He does seem to be hungry and feeding him definitely works to get him back to sleep, although lately he is doing a but of comfort sucking after and I'm trying to pull him off once he starts doing this (thus using the dummy if he cracks it).

Have also considered being too hot/cold but the weather (Melb) has been both hot and cold and we dress him in grobags accordingly so I am quite sure he is not too hot or cold.

I have had people suggest teething for the past 2 months for every problem... but still no teeth, I'm not convinced that is the cause.

I'm not really prepared to let him cry for hours at night at this age (or any age, my tolerance for crying at night is limited to about 5mins), and I'm not convinced it will help if he is hungry. Anything I do to try and settle him without feeding has been unsuccessful and then I'm up twice as long as I would be if I just fed him.

I know babies change their sleep patterns all the time etc but I want to ensure I'm not encouraging a waking-at-night habit, and I'm wandering when will this end??!! We are starting solids in a couple of weeks, although I know this doesn't make them sleep better at night part of me is hoping it might?? Is he waking more often because BM is no longer keeping him full for long?

Anyone had any experience and success?

Help, I am so tired! I can't catch up on sleep during day because he's a cat napper

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hey I really feel for you, sleep deprivation is awful. Have you tried solids yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post
    Hey I really feel for you, sleep deprivation is awful. Have you tried solids yet?
    No, but we plan to in a couple of weeks. Please tell me this makes a difference... even just an extra hour or two...??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    No, but we plan to in a couple of weeks. Please tell me this makes a difference... even just an extra hour or two...??
    I would say reading your post it might make a difference. I had a similar situation but mine was caused by always feeding to sleep. But your DS self-settles so it sounds like hunger. About this time we had started BLW and when we switched to purees (as well as doing other things like starting to settle him in the cot and get a routine happening) it made a big difference.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think just go with it and feed him if he needs it. My DS night fed until he was 9/10 months old (less and less as he got older). I remember a stage when he was around 4-6 months old that he was feeding at 7pm, midnight and then every 2 hours after midnight! I think when they are ready, they will sleep through more and go longer without feeds.

During the day how often does he feed? If 4 hourly, then maybe reduce that to 3 hourly (no less if formula).

Solids may help if your baby is ready, but I am not so sure as solids didn't help my DS sleep through anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    During the day how often does he feed? If 4 hourly, then maybe reduce that to 3 hourly (no less if formula).

Solids may help if your baby is ready, but I am not so sure as solids didn't help my DS sleep through anymore.
    He feeds 3 hourly during day (breastfed), sometimes 2.5 hourly, he is a hungry little boy.

I guess what has me frustrated is that he seems to need more frequent feeding as he gets older, when i thought it should be the other way around. And i have to go back to work soon, not sure how i will cope if he's still up 3+ times a night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS was exactly the same around that age, starting waking multiple times through the night and couldn't be settled without a (very long) feed. On top of that he was already fed every 2-2.5 hours during the day!

In the end, introducing solids is really what helped us. Started with farex and progressed fairly quickly to pureed fruit & vegies which he loved.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bitterpure For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trina2706 View Post
    My DS was exactly the same around that age, starting waking multiple times through the night and couldn't be settled without a (very long) feed. On top of that he was already fed every 2-2.5 hours during the day!

In the end, introducing solids is really what helped us. Started with farex and progressed fairly quickly to pureed fruit & vegies which he loved.
    Thank you, glad to see it can work (not to say that it will work for me, but here's hoping). I'll give him another week and see if anything changes and then we might start solids. I would think it would have to help eventually, especially if he is waking out of hunger. But also understand it might take a while for his digestive system to get used to solids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That is really, really common at that age. I always thought that babies slept longer as they get older but under 1 year that hasn't been true for anyone I know. Would you consider trying chiro or osteo? Hope things settle down soon and that you can get rest where you can

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had a very similar with sunnygirl179. We started our DS on solids at 3.5 months and he has loved it. At the beginning it helped him sleep (gave me 7 - 8 hours gap first thing of evening). He got constipated and so was 3 - 3.5 hourly 24/7. He is now on puree veggies - next week we start making our own. I'm also going a little insane as he was always giving me a 5 - 7 hour gap (feed before bed around 7 - 8pm) then would wake up 4 hours later for next feed and that was usually morning which he would go 3.5 hours. He is BF and doesn't sleep the best during the day but enough. We also use the gro sleeping bags and have the temperature gauge to make sure he is comfortable overnight.
    We have a great routine going for us of solids/altertime/bath/feed/sleep. He does self settle after night feeds just have to help settle after evening feed when first going to sleep. He has gone from waking up for first feed of night at 1 - 2am to mid-night (11.30 last night) then 3 - 3.5 hours after that. I miss having my long evening gap and don't feel as refreshed as I use to which makes it hard for me to do things or want to do things during the day.
    He and I see a chiro which has help both of us.
    I know babies are individuals and makes it hard to know exactly what to expect when just miss my baby sleeping properly at night. He is nearly 5 months and I wonder how long this will continue. I don't always cope well as he has solids then anywhere from 2 - 3 hours later as evening feed before bed so I think that that should last him but doesn't seem to. Is he likely to be going through yet another grow spurt? He has always been a very hungry boy and is in the 95+% for EVERYTHING. At 3 months people thought he was 6 months. I just always thought that with bigger baby not necessarily eats as much but that hasn't been the case for me.
    We are doing a mixture of BLW and what the BHN suggests with our solids, just expected a bit more sleep of an night time.
    In my local mother's group most babies sleep better at night than my DS and they are only BF so that frustrates me at times.
    Will he sleep better with the introduction of more food? Do we need to give him more of an evening before bed to get more sleep?