+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default DoCs workers

I was wondering how do you keep it all separate? How do you see what you see and still sleep at night?

And if allowed without personal details, what are some of the cases that have stuck with you more and why?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I worked very closely with docs, in an area dealing with the abusers- I had to read detailed accounts of some of the worst cases of child abuse in Australia. It's not something I could do after having children

The ones which stuck with me the most are well known cases so I would rather not share. Very awful area of work

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's not an easy job. I worked for DOCS for about 6 years in the office and as a support worker.

Seeing kids we had taken into care blossom in foster families was one of the best parts of the job.

Hearing about a 6 month old baby girl being sexually abused by her father was not.

I had to get out after 6ish years as I would see a kid at the shops with a nasty bruise or broken arm, and instead of thinking "wonder what happened there" I would think "wonder if it was Mum or Dad that did that".

It's not an easy job by any means. They are overworked and under resourced and have to deal with horrific things.

We were in a country town and used to de-brief after each case, would talk as a group and most of us had a dark sense of humor. Not saying all DOCS workers do, but that was how we coped. You also get a little de-sensitised dealing with it every day. You have to. Otherwise you would be a mess.
    Last edited by Californication; 14-12-2011 at 09:28.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ty both for sharing, I can't imagine the things you carry with you as a result of that work I'd hate to think someone thought it was me when ds or dd comes up with a bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    My gf has to stop after she had her daughter. It was too much .

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^ Yeah I agree with pp about becoming desensitized. I became incredibly desensitized from it all and also very cynical. It changed me a lot, it's probably not a job I would venture back into. The particular job I did had very high turnover rate, which doesn't surprise me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister in law works for them..YIKES the stuff she has to deal with ....she talks with the media surrounding some of the horrific cases..like that Kiesha Abrahams one...awful bloody awful!!!!...
    humans can be such scum!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

rainbowchild  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DH best mates girlfriend works for them, she deals mainly with placing kids/babies in foster care after the courts find the parents unfit ( she has to testify in court a lot) some of the saddest stories are when she has to place heroin/drug addicted newborns into immediate care as their mums are just too out of it to care, she gets called to the hospital many times when drug addicted mums just walk in about to give birth , no pre natal care, high on something , she literally has permission to take the baby as soon as it is born ( one woman last year had her 6th baby taken at birth) , she said its heartbreaking, but I'm glad there are people like her that can do it as I don't think I could, too sad , she also worked at the girls juvenile home when she was studying , shocking stories about the poor girls in there, 13-17 year olds , mostly abused, drug addicted kids in for robbery, prostitution, murder etc too sad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummykitty View Post
    Ty both for sharing, I can't imagine the things you carry with you as a result of that work I'd hate to think someone thought it was me when ds or dd comes up with a bump
    Same! My daughter a few years ago full on ran around a corner straight head first into a womans trolley in a Target and had a nasty bump on her head and my first i had after omg is she ok?! Was oh crap the doctors gonna think i did this. The woman pushing the trolley was so apologetic but it wasn't her fault. I got her details in case i was questioned about it later. I wasn't as it turned out but i am very aware of the way doctors look at injuries with children. Not every child is being abused but i can easily see why someone who has seen a lot of it would suspect everyone It's a sad world we live in sometimes...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    My sister in law works for them..YIKES the stuff she has to deal with ....she talks with the media surrounding some of the horrific cases..like that Kiesha Abrahams one...awful bloody awful!!!!...
    humans can be such scum!!!
    Omg i know that poor little girls story haunted me I knew her mother did it. She was acting strangely with the covering her mouth and not really talking much. She allways looked very guilty to me.
    So hard to imagine someone hurting their child like that. Gives me shivers