+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default TTC again after high risk pregnancy

Moderator Note :

This post and a number of the following posts were made in another thread, and have been moved to their own thread by the Moderators.

OT....Just a question for all you ladies. If you know you are high risk before falling pregnant, why would you risk your life (and/or bubs life)?

I was high risk, but didn't know until the itch started at 30 weeks and also my BP went up around that time too.
    Hypothetically speaking, if I were to get pregnant again (chances are very very small because Im single and have had chemo) I have a 75% chance of having cholestasis again and another premmy bub as well. Cholestasis has a high risk of stillbirth, hence the premmy bub.
    I would be risking my bub's life mainly, and the itch literately drove me insane. I was ready to throw myself in front of a train.
    I would have to think very very hard about it and am not sure if it would be worth all the trouble again.

So what are the factors you weighed in that made you make the decision of having another high risk pregnancy?
    Last edited by BH-KatiesMum; 13-12-2011 at 19:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Misschief - would you mind starting this in a general discuss it? I'd love to see the general response from all high risk mummies as this interests me too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    OT....Just a question for all you ladies. If you know you are high risk before falling pregnant, why would you risk your life (and/or bubs life)?

I was high risk, but didn't know until the itch started at 30 weeks and also my BP went up around that time too.
    Hypothetically speaking, if I were to get pregnant again (chances are very very small because Im single and have had chemo) I have a 75% chance of having cholestasis again and another premmy bub as well. Cholestasis has a high risk of stillbirth, hence the premmy bub.
    I would be risking my bub's life mainly, and the itch literately drove me insane. I was ready to throw myself in front of a train.
    I would have to think very very hard about it and am not sure if it would be worth all the trouble again.

So what are the factors you weighed in that made you make the decision of having another high risk pregnancy?
    i'm not sure how to take your post...

All i'll say is not everyone has the same risk factors. To me that's like asking why i would get in a car, on a plane or even leave my house when something might happen. I chose to fall pregnant again because i wanted another baby... that's it!

there are so many risks in life! i'm not going to be scared to walkout my front door just as i'm not going to let past experiences scare me into not falling pregnant. stuff happens in life. after all like it says under your name "God will not give us any challenges that we can not handle " " "

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kribby View Post
    i'm not sure how to take your post...

All i'll say is not everyone has the same risk factors. To me that's like asking why i would get in a car, on a plane or even leave my house when something might happen. I chose to fall pregnant again because i wanted another baby... that's it!

there are so many risks in life! i'm not going to be scared to walkout my front door just as i'm not going to let past experiences scare me into not falling pregnant. stuff happens in life. after all like it says under your name "God will not give us any challenges that we can not handle " " "
    I don't think she meant to offend but rather is trying to understand. It's hard without being there to imagine having to make that choice (as I'm sure many of you are already more than aware )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post

This is a very sensitive subject and it's hard not to take offense. All my life I just wanted to be a mum that was the one thing I wanted above anything else to be a mum and have lots of kids. I nearly died and so did dd and that was the scariest moment of my life I always wanted to witness a miracle well I got 2, my dd life was saved and so was mine. I did IVF with dd and obviously to have another child I had to go through IVF again. It took me 2 years to heal myself mentally and be ok to go through the whole process again knowing that if I had another prem just how heart wrenching and difficult it was and having the strength to go through that again. I fell pregnant naturally this time I was so shocked so God blessed me so that I could fall pregnant and I am so happy about it. I'm 32.5 weeks now dd was 28+6 weeks when I had her. I have no sign of pre-eclampsia and my OB thinks I will go full term this time. So in answer to your question we just don't know what the future will hold I was almost certain that I was destined to have pre-eclampsia again and I was really sick for about 8 months after birth, but it just goes to show you can't predict what's going to happen, you might not have another Premmie you have to have some faith and pray that's what I did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hunnybun1 View Post
    This is a very sensitive subject and it's hard not to take offense. All my life I just wanted to be a mum that was the one thing I wanted above anything else to be a mum and have lots of kids. I nearly died and so did dd and that was the scariest moment of my life I always wanted to witness a miracle well I got 2, my dd life was saved and so was mine. I did IVF with dd and obviously to have another child I had to go through IVF again. It took me 2 years to heal myself mentally and be ok to go through the whole process again knowing that if I had another prem just how heart wrenching and difficult it was and having the strength to go through that again. I fell pregnant naturally this time I was so shocked so God blessed me so that I could fall pregnant and I am so happy about it. I'm 32.5 weeks now dd was 28+6 weeks when I had her. I have no sign of pre-eclampsia and my OB thinks I will go full term this time. So in answer to your question we just don't know what the future will hold I was almost certain that I was destined to have pre-eclampsia again and I was really sick for about 8 months after birth, but it just goes to show you can't predict what's going to happen, you might not have another Premmie you have to have some faith and pray that's what I did.
    Hunnybun I wrote a response many times but just couldn't formulate a decent response.

I too did ivf both times and I'm sorry misschief if I came across rudely but I've had to justify too many times about doing ivf then when someone questions on top of that about why again when I'm high risk it just hits a nerve. When all I want is a family why am I feeling like I'm continuously having to justify myself and why the hell should I? KWIM? This is why I stay out of the general boards mostly so yes, maybe it would be better to ask there and then you may get more responses. This thread is more for support where as a thread in the general section wouldn't be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get what you mean and I'm certainly not after justification just trying to understand, I'll report our comments and see if they can be moved?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummykitty View Post
    I get what you mean and I'm certainly not after justification just trying to understand, I'll report our comments and see if they can be moved?
    Sweet I understand the curiosity and where it's coming from and knowing it's from a good place doesn't bother me as much but just wrong place wrong time maybe... I'm ultra sensitive today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, had a quick read through. I'm already part of the placenta accreta group on here, just thought I'd add my name to this list too.

I've had a few high risk pregnancies now. Number 1 was great, number 2 I got a DVT with, so that meant numbers 3, 4 and this one I've done the whole clexane thing through out each pregnancy and 6wks post natal.

With number 3 I went into early labour due to an infection in my uterus, it's called chorioamnionitis. That saw me end up with an emergency c-section. I also got blood poisoning after bub was born, and was very ill for quite some time afterwards.

Number 4 saw me with GD, which I was insulin dependant, apart from that I was quite healthy for that pregnancy.

Now I'm pregnant with number 5. I have a grade 4 placenta previa with accreta/increta, which basically means that my placenta covers my entire cervix, it then attached to my uterus, grew through my uterus wall to the other side and is now attached to my bladder as well.

I'm currently 35wks and 4 days pregnant, due mid January, but will be having bub next week on the 21st December.

I was doing clexane with this pregnancy too, but as it's a hard to drug to reverse if I was to have a bleed, they have changed me to heparin. So I get to do heparin twice a day, rather then once a day on the clexane. Mind you, the heparin is a lot better than the clexane, still stings slightly, but the needles aren't blunt compared to the clexane. It is a pain in that I have to draw it up out of a vial though, they're not pre-filled like the clexane.

I already know that with my c-section for this one they also have to take my uterus, so will be having a hysterectomy and because it's attached to my bladder, will also be having a bladder reconstruction. I get to spend my first few days after delivery in ICU, and bub will go to either NICU or SPN, either because she will need to being a little early, or even if she is well, she will still go there as I won't be able to care for her being in ICU.

Hmm, I think that's it with me. I look forward to chatting to you all more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jatsmum View Post
    Hi ladies, had a quick read through. I'm already part of the placenta accreta group on here, just thought I'd add my name to this list too.

I've had a few high risk pregnancies now. Number 1 was great, number 2 I got a DVT with, so that meant numbers 3, 4 and this one I've done the whole clexane thing through out each pregnancy and 6wks post natal.

With number 3 I went into early labour due to an infection in my uterus, it's called chorioamnionitis. That saw me end up with an emergency c-section. I also got blood poisoning after bub was born, and was very ill for quite some time afterwards.

Number 4 saw me with GD, which I was insulin dependant, apart from that I was quite healthy for that pregnancy.

Now I'm pregnant with number 5. I have a grade 4 placenta previa with accreta/increta, which basically means that my placenta covers my entire cervix, it then attached to my uterus, grew through my uterus wall to the other side and is now attached to my bladder as well.

I'm currently 35wks and 4 days pregnant, due mid January, but will be having bub next week on the 21st December.

I was doing clexane with this pregnancy too, but as it's a hard to drug to reverse if I was to have a bleed, they have changed me to heparin. So I get to do heparin twice a day, rather then once a day on the clexane. Mind you, the heparin is a lot better than the clexane, still stings slightly, but the needles aren't blunt compared to the clexane. It is a pain in that I have to draw it up out of a vial though, they're not pre-filled like the clexane.

I already know that with my c-section for this one they also have to take my uterus, so will be having a hysterectomy and because it's attached to my bladder, will also be having a bladder reconstruction. I get to spend my first few days after delivery in ICU, and bub will go to either NICU or SPN, either because she will need to being a little early, or even if she is well, she will still go there as I won't be able to care for her being in ICU.

Hmm, I think that's it with me. I look forward to chatting to you all more.
    Wow! That's full on! You poor thing xoxoxoxoxoxoxo honestly I didnt know much about the placenta stuff and I can't believe it can actually do that good luck honey! Will be thinking of you next week xoxo keep us updated