+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default The magical dummy....

My 15 month-old has one dummy that he still regularly sucks on when he goes off to sleep of a night - much to his utter contentment...

When I got him out of his cot yesterday morning he brought his dummy along and it ended up in the car when we went off to daycare... I said 'excuse me Mr, do you neeeeeed that dummy? No, I don't think so' and he took it out and handed it to me.... needless to say it got left in the car, and last night he went off to bed without it at his normal time, no problem.

But tonight, he was a bit overtired due to only one day nap, and he was just miserable and crying for a while and not able to go off to sleep - I suddenly realised that he didn't have the dummy, so after quick dash to the car I got the dummy, and lo and behold, when I popped the dummy in his mouth his eyes rolled back and he was asleep within a minute!

It reminded me of how he used to be when breastfeeding - you never see a baby more content than when they're breastfeeding...

It's the sucking that is so soothing - he ised to fall aslepp on the boob and did so for the first 10 months of life..... Is a dummy really so bad? I love it, for his sake....

Perhaps I would agree with everyone else who hates the things, if he was still sucking it at age 30.... But right now, I can't see the harm?!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Hannahly  (13-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's a bit of plastic (or whatever) ... Im with you, if they I off to sleep happily with it who cares! I was anti-dummy for my first baby's first six weeks (due to all the stuff on nipple confusion and not settling if not constantly in the mouth etc). But after a screaming six weeks my dad begged me to give her a dummy -
    I did and she had liked it. Then due to pressure from other family I tried to take it away from her at 2.5, it broke her heart and I wasn't in the right space to follow thru so she kept it, she was harassed for a year to give it up (to the point of almost bullying by adults). She's a stubborn little thing and kept it (just for sleeps) until 3.5 when she decided one night on her own accord that she might just sleep with her mouth - and she never used it again.

My ds can choose the same - he's only allowed it for snuggling and bed, but I will not allow him to be put down in the manner that my dd was for having it!

Bravo dummies I say

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (13-12-2011),heeeeerekittykitty  (13-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our lives are full of stress, duties, errands and hard work!

So i say what ever helps your child settle & give you peace and them the sleep they need, then do it

(obviously so long as its not harming them - booze in the bottle or something)

My dd requires her dummy and that helps her settle, which helps me be able to do whatever it is i need to get done!

Who cares what other people say!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbygirl For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (13-12-2011),heeeeerekittykitty  (13-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the fact I gave my DS a dummy. No nipple confusion or anything and he's had it since he was 5 days. I was out the other day though with a friend and her little 2 year old girl and a couple of people were to her "why do you need that yucky thing, you should get rid of it". Why is it their place to say something!? You go for it with the dummy OP, 15 months is still little too, it's not like he's taking one to kindy or something!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Penny88 For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds 20 months still has one for sleeps or if he is really upset, now that I have two to settle but only one set of arms. I figure it can't hurt, seeing as I used to pull my hair out when i was little when i was upset or nervous (maybe mum should of sent one with me to kindy, save me being bald on one side when I was 5! Luckily it grew back...)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (14-12-2011)

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP !

I don't have enough words to describe to you how wonderful I think the dummy is .

My DS us 2 in a month and I have zero zilch zip intention of taking it away . I hope by kinder he's given it up on he's own . If not well hmmm I'll probaly be starting a thread on here lol . I don't care if he's 4 and still has a dummy . I never go anywhere without a dummy and my son will have it for naps or when upset . To people that think it's yuk , well I actually think their nasty attitude to a piece of plastic that gives amazing comfort to children is yuk . He still has he's " yucky " bottle too which I never leave home without . Again , when tired , he's bottle of milk gives him comfort .

My DD is 8 months - all of the above applies !

I've never understood why a blankie or toy doll or teddy that an older child takes everywhere seems to be so much more acceptable than a dummy .

Your doing the right thing OP, you know your child best . Do what gives children comfort and peace I say , the darlings deserve it , they are only kids once and in my eyes still just babies at 2 and even 3 .

Xoxo

Sent from my iPhone

Me  Dh
    DS -21 months 
    DD - 7 months 

12. The Following User Says Thank You to heeeeerekittykitty For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (14-12-2011)

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't like the look of a toddler walking around sucking on them I don't know why I just dont.

That said, it is exactly what my 18 month old is doing right now. Lol.

She uses it for bed & settling (like If she's hurt herself or if she's sick and sooky like today) my friends 3 yo still had one. I asked friend if other peoples comments bothered her and she said no. Her bub only gets it at home so no one knows

The only bad thing I've heard is it's bad for their teeth development. But dd only likes those ridiculously expensive orthodontic ones so I'm sure her teeth will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewTheEmu For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A dummy is better than thumb-sucking for the tooth thing. I was very anti-dummy until DD was 3 months. I did a lot of reading when it became apparent she needed it, and it's actually fine - SIDS even say it may reduce risk.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (14-12-2011)