+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cakeish View Post
    Okay, from my knowledge (as being high-risk of CI myself):

* Most CI issues stem from previous cervical abnormalities or stress. In my case, I had a Cone Biospy to treat CIN III cervical dysplasia (abnormal pap results) early in 2011, which means my cervix has the lower section removed. Women who have had this do not ALWAYS need a stitch (I am not getting one so far, and am currently at 16 weeks) but many do.

* Stitches are most successful if placed at the 12 week mark, however can be placed at any stage, provided cervix opening to the outside world is still very small. However, stitches placed at any stage have a reasonably high risk of infection, and a possible risk of miscarriage from cervical/uterus iritation. It is this reason, combined with my current length (which is 4mm above 'normal') that my OB has decided to manage it gently. I am getting scans at 19, 22, 26 and 32 to measure length, and we will decide on a more agressive management if needed then.

* The 'normal' length of cervix is anything above 2.5cm, not 3cm. Some women have a <3cm cervix naturally, with no problems.

* The only way to measure the length of cervix is via transvaginal ultrasound, so it is often not done at ordinary 12 and 19 week ultrasounds. But, you can request this, even if the OB/GP has not requested it on the referral form. If you are very stressed about it, ask for another referral, or see an Ultrasound clinic privately (both options may not be covered by medicare). Alternatively, wait until your next scan and ask then.

* If your cervical length was measured, it would be noted and commented upon within the us report. Mine says 'cervix length measures 2.9cm and is closed. No evidence of funnelling.' on my 12 week scan.

* My OB (being male and all lol) described the feeling of imminent mc through CI as feeling like a heavy tennis ball trying to push out my perenium, rather than heavy feelings above the pubic bone.

* Increased mucus is normal in pregnancy - it even has it's own name 'leucorreah' or something. It can be different consistencies, but when rubbed between two fingers will feel smooth and creamy. Leaking amniotic fluid is less so - imagine wet knickers without a residue, and fluid that feels like rubbing urine between your fingers. The exclusion to this is losing part of your cervical plug, which will be thicker than normal vaginal mucus.

Disclosure: I am in my first pregnancy (although I had an non-related early term mc mid last year) and only have the information above through googling far and wide, plus what I have discussed with my midwife and OB. I just couldn't read and not offer you the information I have found!

At this stage, unless you have a risk factor background, or have noticed a definite issue with secretions, I think the risk of mc in the second trimester is like 2%. Hope you can relax a little now!!
    Cakeish-
    I am terrible when it comes to hypochondria (sp?) with this pregnancy! I'm embarrassed to say that since I first read this post I've thought of nothing but 'incompetent cervix'. I know that I'm being irrational, but I even dreamed about it the night after I read this thread. I've googled it, read every chapter on it in all of my pregnancy books, convinced myself that the niggley little cramps I've been having must be it. But your post has put this bed! I haven't had the" tennis ball bursting through my perineum" feeling, or anything else to indicate that anything is wrong; I have nothing in my background or medical history that could cause it, either.Your info proved that I'm just a big sooky lala who's super paranoid and who should STOP googling bad things about pregnancy!
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 09-02-2012 at 11:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you soo much cakeish, that info helps a lot, I know what to look for now whereas before I really had no idea! Will be requesting the internal US too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm glad I could help you both, and I really hope that it turns out well for everyone!!

BMJ - If you're stuck in the google-trap (trust me, I totally get this) try searching for articles in medical journals / scholarly texts rather than information posted on message boards, blogs or media based articles. The information you find in medical journals can be slightly more dense to read, but is much more trustworthy and somewhat less flamboyant! It is pretty easy to pick up on which bits of studies to read, and which bits to ignore so that you're not bored out of your brain with technical jargon.

I don't know if I can link in a post yet, but this is a good one to start out...it's easy to read, and shows rates of cervical issues in 85 women with cone biopsies and 85 without, with all other aspects (age, race, gestational length) the same. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/uog.7682/pdf

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I just like to be a pain, Im not saying any one has IC but not all cases are clear cut..... I have diagnosed IC and on both occasions (pregnancies) it has been painless and spontaneous. I went from 3.2cm of cervix to a full funnel with 3mm left with my membranes bulging last time and was only picked up at that point due to my frequent u/s. Both pregnancies I got no symptoms that any other pregnant women would have got but I have true IC not from a surgical reason. Im sorry to throw a spanner in you all your research. I too have done lots of research both medical and on the net and I have questioned many high risk Obs & gyne's about the subject, symptoms vary and not until the very last gasp when you about to deliver will will get that tennis ball feeling that you guys have described.

I'm sorry but this is just my personal experience

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh, completely agree with you that each case is unique, and that it can happen to anyone. I'm really sorry to hear of your experience, that must have been heart breaking and terrifying.

I guess my main point is that true spontaneous CI is rare (although I'm sure it doesn't feel like that to those who have it) and the above posters are worrying themselves sick about something they have absolutely no control over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an incompetent cervix and this was only diagnosed when i was 19 weeks pregnant and went to emergency with spotting. I had no warning signs whatsoever and was feeling fine. Unfortunately for my precious bub we were too late and my membranes were bulging and there was nothing they could do Each subsequent pregnancy I have had a cerclage put in at 12-14 weeks and have managed to bring home 3 healthy babies

I have to say that 12 months prior to losing bub I had a lletz procedure done due to CIN3 and follow up laser surgery on my cervix due to hemoraging (sp?) after the lletz. I am sure this is what caused my weak cervix.