+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default incompetent cervix

Hi Everyone,

Stilll stressing myself into oblivion with my first pregnancy!

I’m nearly 21 weeks now and had my scan done about a week ago to which all came back fine and normal. I have a Doppler at home and can regularly hear bubs hb nice and strong on that.

My question is, I’m worried about the possibility of Cervical Incompetence…

For some daft reason I googled ‘Miscarriage chances after 20 weeks’ to which a few articles came up about people losing their little bundles at around this mark due to incompetent cervix. Now of course this has given me yet another thing to stress about.

One of the ‘articles’ I read said that a couple of the symptoms of CI are: Increased Vaginal Discharge and also a Heavy feeling in lower abdomen. Both of these I’ve experienced (althought never any spotting or bleeding or pain – of course I get the odd stitch/cramp due to stretching but never anything more serious!)

I was wondering, are these also common pregnancy syptoms for most people? Also, if I had a weird cervix would they have picked it up at my 20 week scan?

Thanks ladies

xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    My cousin suffers from Incompetent cervix- she has lost 2 babies, 1 at the 13 and 1 at 17 week mark.

For her as soon as the baby hit the 12 week mark it became heavy and basically fell through the cervix as it wasn't closed properly.

The solution for her was to have a stitch put in to her cervix at 12 weeks and she was on bed rest for the whole time after this. She now has a beautiful little boy who has just turned 1.

I would think that by now if you had that condition it would have become more of an issue. If you are really worried speak to your dr ASAP to make sure something is done if there is an issue.

Good luck

Waiting on a miracle- due 1st August 2012! Mum of 2 year old little girl & 1 Angel Baby August 11 x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I had my morph scan Last week and they found my cervix was short and opening so I had an emergency cervical stitch to closed... I had none of the Symptoms you have described. If your really worried talk to your ob

Hang in there xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If your cervix is going haywire, it would have been picked up.

If you did have IC, youd know about it by now.

Even with 3 little people bouncing on me, my cervix barely moved till the very last minute.

ETA - STOP GOGGLING! it just stresses you for no reason.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TripleTime For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (13-12-2011)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How fricking insulting, obviously a male thought up 'incompetent cervix' I wonder how impressed men would be if 'impotence' were renamed 'incompetent penis'??

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (08-02-2012),MissMuppet  (08-02-2012),Myshadowfax  (13-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have incompetant cervix.

I found out at 12w in my first preg that my cervix was short (2.4cm, 3cm and over is normal) was on bed rest from then, at 20w still short but seemed stable, stayed on bed rest. At 21w I went into labour without warning, my OB stopped things until 22w1d when our DS was born.

With DD I had a stitch done at 15w and dd was born at 37w..

If there was a issue would have been picked up at ur 20 week scan

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for these posts. It's very reassuring as I had a cervial cautery done around 9 years ago and read that this can lead to incompetant cervix. I've been trying to research it, but there's really not much information about it. Anyway, my doctor is notifying the ob and hospital, so I guess all I can do is ask them how my cervix looks each time I go in.
    Did anyone have any other symptoms that I should look out for? It's my first baby and I'm 11 weeks. I will definately be asking how long my cervix measures at my 12 week scan next week! I had a dating scan at 10 weeks and they did scan the cervix, but didn't comment on it, so I assumed all was normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Cervical length is generally measured via internal ultrasound so it may not be picked up on a routine scan without specifically asking to measure it. In your referral for your next scan, ask your doc to mention possible IC.

When I had my mc due to IC at 17 weeks, the main symptom was period type pain. If you feel a pain like this, I'd advise acting on it, just for your own piece of mind.
    My IC was a result of a termination, apparently my cervix was forced open which made it weak.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Okay, from my knowledge (as being high-risk of CI myself):

* Most CI issues stem from previous cervical abnormalities or stress. In my case, I had a Cone Biospy to treat CIN III cervical dysplasia (abnormal pap results) early in 2011, which means my cervix has the lower section removed. Women who have had this do not ALWAYS need a stitch (I am not getting one so far, and am currently at 16 weeks) but many do.

* Stitches are most successful if placed at the 12 week mark, however can be placed at any stage, provided cervix opening to the outside world is still very small. However, stitches placed at any stage have a reasonably high risk of infection, and a possible risk of miscarriage from cervical/uterus iritation. It is this reason, combined with my current length (which is 4mm above 'normal') that my OB has decided to manage it gently. I am getting scans at 19, 22, 26 and 32 to measure length, and we will decide on a more agressive management if needed then.

* The 'normal' length of cervix is anything above 2.5cm, not 3cm. Some women have a <3cm cervix naturally, with no problems.

* The only way to measure the length of cervix is via transvaginal ultrasound, so it is often not done at ordinary 12 and 19 week ultrasounds. But, you can request this, even if the OB/GP has not requested it on the referral form. If you are very stressed about it, ask for another referral, or see an Ultrasound clinic privately (both options may not be covered by medicare). Alternatively, wait until your next scan and ask then.

* If your cervical length was measured, it would be noted and commented upon within the us report. Mine says 'cervix length measures 2.9cm and is closed. No evidence of funnelling.' on my 12 week scan.

* My OB (being male and all lol) described the feeling of imminent mc through CI as feeling like a heavy tennis ball trying to push out my perenium, rather than heavy feelings above the pubic bone.

* Increased mucus is normal in pregnancy - it even has it's own name 'leucorreah' or something. It can be different consistencies, but when rubbed between two fingers will feel smooth and creamy. Leaking amniotic fluid is less so - imagine wet knickers without a residue, and fluid that feels like rubbing urine between your fingers. The exclusion to this is losing part of your cervical plug, which will be thicker than normal vaginal mucus.

Disclosure: I am in my first pregnancy (although I had an non-related early term mc mid last year) and only have the information above through googling far and wide, plus what I have discussed with my midwife and OB. I just couldn't read and not offer you the information I have found!

At this stage, unless you have a risk factor background, or have noticed a definite issue with secretions, I think the risk of mc in the second trimester is like 2%. Hope you can relax a little now!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    please stop googling things I made this mistake myself in the 1st trimester as we had been trying for so long i was convinced something was going to go wrong.

I was concerned about this as well since I had my cervix opened surgically several times when I was a teenager due to issues that turned out to be nothing

Stressing about things also isnt good for u and bubs "pot calling kettle black", but google is your worst enemy. If you are really concerned mention it to your doc thats what I did and he was wonderfull and always reassured me if i had a question. Member we are paying them dont ever feel silly for asking as many questions as u like .

Congrats on your pregnancy