+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We've called the police when our neighbours were beating each other up. Not DV, friends, two girls, having a screaming physical fight.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Californication  (13-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe also mention that there are young children there you're concerned about

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mummykitty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I told the Cops that it had been happening for a couple of months but had been escalating each time and that they had little kids who were screaming.

It's disheartening that there is not much the Police can do unless she wants them to, but as its a recent thing, I am hoping it might shock him into pulling his head in! That's if it's him that starts it. Could be her for all I know. Either way, hopefully it will be a wake up call for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Multiple DV complaints can lead to child safety removing children from a home.

It really isn't in vain.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Californication  (13-12-2011),InBetween  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. I figure if I have to call them half a dozen times, I can then call DOCS and at least get them to visit and see the kids are safe and looked after. Every little bit helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the victim does not want to make a complaint to the police it doesn't necessarily mean that nothing can be done.

Such is the nature of dv and abuse that the police are free to press charges if they are satisfied that there is sufficient reason, such as a visible injury, a witness (in this case the children would be too young) etc.

I know of a case that was pursued by the police because of what an older child (8 ish) told them when they attended. The victim did not make a statement and refused to press charges but it went through the courts and the offender was found guilty.

At the very least the call out would be logged for future reference

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mettie For This Useful Post:

Californication  (13-12-2011),InBetween  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember seeing an ad years ago that was pulled off the air pretty quickly due to complaints.

A couple were sitting down to dinner in an apartment and heard the next door neighbours start fighting. The woman was screaming, obviously being beaten, so the man got up from the table and grabbed a baseball bat. He walked next door and knocked, and a very wound up man answered. In the background you could see the woman crying on the ground holding a black eye.

The man hands the bat to his neighbour and says something like "hey mate, thought you could use this"

The tag line of the ad was something like "if you don't report abusers, you might as well be helping them"

It shocked me, which is why I still remember it today, and have made it my philosophy toward abuse.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mettie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow, I can see why it was pulled but the shock value alone would've gotten through to a few I think a similar may be a good idea so people feel more ok about stepping in to help.

I had friends who knew what was happening and not once was someone called in, it is my job to help myself yes but that first step is the hardest and often help with that can make the difference

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I haven't.

BUT....as a kid who grew up in a DV household where my father used to beat mum on a nightly basis and me at least twice a week I always wished our neighbours would ring the police so they could make it stop.

So god for you - don't for a second doubt your decision.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Listening to or witnessing DV is extremely distressing, on ANYONE; neighbours, other friends and family members, and especially young kids.

As a psychologist, I have had to make reports to DOCs numerous times (I'm a mandatory reporter), but I've also called the police at the same time. Usually, the police first if its in the "heat of the moment", and then DOCs once the police have done their thing. The police can take out an AVO on the children's behalf if they believe the children are in danger of the purpetrator. All calls to DOCs and the police remain annonymous, unless you are calling as a visual witness, e.g. you see a bloke (sorry guys, usually it's men who are the purpertators, and women the victims. Don't mean to offend, and have seen it go the other way, but I'm keeping things simple here) throw his partner down the stairs or a women punch her child in the face. In that case, you may wish to be a witness and have a statement taken.

I hope this information helps. The information number to report children who are in "immediate threat of harm or danger" is 132 111. ALWAYS tell the police you have done this and if they ask, give them the reference number from your call to DOCs. It's vital you tell the police that young children are involved, and give both the police and DOCs the ages of the children (or your best guess - and go lower if in doubt - the threshold for a response is faster/better the younger the child).

I hope this information helps.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wickedly Happy For This Useful Post: