+ Reply to Thread
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Cover note?

I'm driving my mum's friend's car on thursday and her insurance doesn't cover under 25's so she's asked me to get a cover note. What is a cover note, how do I get one, and how much will it cost me?

TIA xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It used to be that you rang the insurance company and basically over the phone they would say you were insured before you actually paid for your insurance- so if you bought a new car, you could call before you drove the car off the lot and your insurance would cover you.

These days, with payments being made with credit cards over the phone, I'm not sure how it would work, or even if they offer them. I'm pretty sure they were only used when you intended to buy insurance from the company.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Maybe check the websites of some insurance companies or give them a call.

It might be that your mum has to add you to her policy, but as a "young driver" you'd have a huge excess to pay if anything happened.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

rainbow road  (13-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkie View Post
    I'm driving my mum's friend's car on thursday and her insurance doesn't cover under 25's so she's asked me to get a cover note. What is a cover note, how do I get one, and how much will it cost me?

TIA xx
    A cover note is like an interim cover. You can call any insurance company & ask for a quote, when they ask you to go ahead, you can just ask that they organize a cover note for you. This generally allows you 14 days cover without paying for the insurance. If you were to claim in this time then you will need to pay the premium however if there is no claims you should be able to let it lapse & not have to pay anything. Hope this helps!

Also, just say you dont have a credit card & will need to pay by cheque or money order... They should accept this & cover notes are still issued but don't tell the insurer that your intent is to let it lapse- they probably won't issue u with one
    Last edited by galdagirl; 13-12-2011 at 07:47. Reason: Adding info:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to galdagirl For This Useful Post:

rainbow road  (13-12-2011)

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Covernotes don't really exist anymore as,you have 14 days to pay for a policy and there is the legal 21 day cooling off period. You may find a company who does them, however as you aren't the financial owner you can't insure it. Your mother's friend will need to contact her insurer and find out how to get you on there. Not much else can be done.

If,you think autocorrect is hard try a galaxy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly why does her cover not cover under 25's? Is it because of the type of vehicle or does she have restricted cover to make the premium cheaper?

Technically the insurance should only be in the name of the registered owner because let's say you have an accident and write the car off - if you have a 'cover note' on the car, the claim pay out is then going to be made to you and not your Mum's friend. Very messy!!

My advice would be for your Mum's friend to call her insurance company and tell them you will be driving the vehicle for 1 day. They may be able to note you on there as a driver.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thank you all!!! I've suggested she just call instance and tell them I'll be driving it, and said if there is any accident I will pay for the excess.