+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MyLittleLilacTree View Post
    Ireally like the idea of printing out the WHO articles supporting your situation - not only will it prove your point, but the pure fact that you have gone to the trouble of printing it out will perhaps show them that you are well aware of their opinions and anticipated their comments. Maybe they'll realise you're going to do what YOU want anyway! Good luck!!! x
    Yes I think you're right. I'm definitely going to print off some info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Natty21 View Post
    Tell her that it's nobodies business and that you won't discuss it any further.
    Yes. I might have to resort to this. And I know it works. I've used this one before. My mother is obsessed with me getting a haircut. Every time she used to see or speak with me she would ask if I'd had a haircut or ask if I would get one soon. I finally snapped when she asked about my 2yo son getting a haircut. I thought "I've put up with you hassling me about cutting my hair my whole life. I'm not going to allow you to do that to my son!" So I told her I would never discuss it with her again. If she asked (and she did for a while) I wouldn't answer. If I DID get a haircut I wouldn't tell her (I used to tell her when I'd had my annual haircut because I thought it would make her happy). Eventually she did stop asking. Well, she asks a lot less anyway!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lulululu For This Useful Post:

duncan_bayne  (17-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post

She wanted me to wean at 6 weeks, to 'normal' milk (cos formula in her mind is 'normal' & breast feeding is not???) Jasper had his last breast feed a couple of days ago (I haven't told him yet that he's been weaned .
    Breastfeeding is clearly soooo abnormal! Aren't people silly?
    By the way, how did it go telling Jasper he's been weaned? Or haven't you told him yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummykitty View Post
    Good luck over the holidays OP they can be a drain but you have a year before the next big family time maybe they'll have caught on by then
    My wife has already advised me we are staying home next Christmas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    no-one so far has felt like challenging recommendations made by the world health organisation

I started getting these comments when DS was just 4 months old, it can get very frustrating.

Best of luck
    thanks Witwicky. It is frustrating, isn't it? I should consider myself lucky they didn't start commenting til ds was about a year. Incidentally I'd almost like her (or anyone) to challenge the WHO recommendations. I love a debate. But mum doesn't debate, or even discuss. It's just sly comments and not-so-subtle suggestions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummykitty View Post
    If I make it onto lappy (and it stops crashing) I'll try and find it tonight
    Thanks Mummykitty

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A mothers love View Post
    My step mum was telling me to week from 6 months as well. I always say who recommendation is 2 years and that's what I'm trying for.

I'm at almost 21 months now and I'm over it lol.
    Great effort on making it this far, a mothers love! 12 more weeks and you've reached your goal! You can do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    After being 'encouraged' to wean with DD1 when DD2 came along I just told everyone I was planning on breastfeeding her until she was 18 years old. When my mum said that DD2 wouldn't want to breastfeed until she was 18 I responded with 'tough luck to her, my house, my rules. It will be a good incentive for her to move out of home.' I never responded in any other way and it didn't take long for people to stop asking because they knew they were never going to get a serious answer out of me (I tried the serious answer first time round).
    When DS came long no one even commented...think I was already labelled 'crazy breastfeeding woman' by then.
    LOL you crazy Breastfeeding woman! That's a great response. I might borrow that, if you don't mind?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been getting comments since DS was 6 weeks old. He is now 14 months. I just reply " I know - how amazing I've been lucky enough to be able to breastfeed when so many people have problems attaching and so forth" I make out like I haven't heard them and they are congratulating me. They soon realise I'm excited to give my boy a great start, and that I'm proud I was able to feed, even though I didn't "birth" in their eyes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by october View Post
    I make out like I haven't heard them and they are congratulating me. They soon realise I'm excited to give my boy a great start, and that I'm proud I was able to feed, even though I didn't "birth" in their eyes.
    that's a terrific tactic. I'm sorry I don't understand the birth reference.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast