+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I go with lassie agressive jokes and a 'look' that stops most of it. Or a very blunt yes.. Dd fed till just under 3 years (week before 3 lol) and by then there were more than a few comments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is what I'm so not looking forward to this Christmas! The amount of stupid comments I got about it being time to stop BFinh last Xmas was ridiculous, and DD was only 6 months then! So this year with her being almost 18 months I can imagine what it's going to be like. I love the idea about printing off some WHO info, I think I'm going to go with the 'WHO recommends BFing till AT LEAST 2 years and I actually want to do what's best for my daughter, if you care about her you should want that too!' don't let anyone make you feel you should wean, strangely when I get told its time to stop it makes me want to feed for longer just to **** them off lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

MyLittleLilacTree  (13-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My mum has made several suggestions to me to stop BF'ing (DS is 10 months old). I am very dismissive when she mentions it & I never let it get me fired up. I got so much support from medical professions recently when I took DS for a routine premmie check up at the hospital. I have been expressing to feed for several months & they thought it was a great effort.

To be honest I think my parents miss being able to have drinks with me, but I'm a mum now & my priorities have changed drastically!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know how much specific help I have since my mum breastfed me until I was 13 months and only weaned because she was pregnant and really ill so needed the help. DP's mum was still feeding him at 18 months+ because he remembers it.

Your little one is 16 months, not 16 years - you'll feed until you and bubs are ready to stop. I really like the idea of printing out the WHO articles supporting your situation - not only will it prove your point, but the pure fact that you have gone to the trouble of printing it out will perhaps show them that you are well aware of their opinions and anticipated their comments. Maybe they'll realise you're going to do what YOU want anyway! Good luck!!! x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe you could just tell her firmly that this is the decision that you have made with your family and that she is your child & will do what's best for both you and her. Tell her that it's nobodies business and that you won't discuss it any further. Let her know that you don't want to hear any negative comments & that she needs to respect it because you won't take any crap.
    I tried everything under the sun with my mum & in laws. In the end being firm & being sarcastic worked well. Remember: everybody else knows what's best for your child. *rolls eyes*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    WHO recommending 2 years minimum breast feeding, or longer.

Or just tell her to bugger off. Your breasts. Your baby. Your choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Though I also tried everything with MIL. Including raising my voice a few times on the issue.

She wanted me to wean at 6 weeks, to 'normal' milk (cos formula in her mind is 'normal' & breast feeding is not???) Jasper had his last breast feed a couple of days ago (I haven't told him yet that he's been weaned ) he turned 3 in November. So understandably my MIL has been mildly freaked out by my breast feeding SO long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks so much everyone! I think I will print some info out for her and the first time she comments I'll whip it out of my bag and hand it over, perhaps saying something about how I knew she would be interested in our breastfeeding plans/relationship

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Though I also tried everything with MIL. Including raising my voice a few times on the issue.

She wanted me to wean at 6 weeks, to 'normal' milk (cos formula in her mind is 'normal' & breast feeding is not???) Jasper had his last breast feed a couple of days ago (I haven't told him yet that he's been weaned ) he turned 3 in November. So understandably my MIL has been mildly freaked out by my breast feeding SO long.
    Aww so did DD but she weaned just shy of 3 congrats on reaching a peaceful end to your breastfeeding journey with Jasper wishing you many happy years sharing that journey with DD (should she and you wish it)

Good luck over the holidays OP they can be a drain but you have a year before the next big family time maybe they'll have caught on by then

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laksa View Post
    I would ask 'did you know the WHO recommend a minimum of two years?'
    Lots of people don't actually know that! And many of our parents come from a time when artificial milk was thought to be superior.
    ^^ This. I find it always stops people in their tracks because a) they're usually surprised by this and didn't realise the recommendation is 2 y.o. and b) no-one so far has felt like challenging recommendations made by the world health organisation

I started getting these comments when DS was just 4 months old, it can get very frustrating.

Best of luck