+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Necessity

I have been pondering on the various threads on giving and receiving gifts from charitable organizations.

I am a lucky person who has enough money and resources to live comfortably, so it's not for me to comment on the rights and wrongs and needs and desires of less well off people in Australia.

We give to the giving trees at Christmas - it has always been part of my family tradition of giving presents to those less fortunate at the same time as going to see Father Christmas (I know this is going to seem perverse, it's just something my parents did and it was the building blocks of my awareness that not everyone has the same luxuries I am afforded).

Anyway, after reading some of the comments in the various threads, it made me think of this picture

I know there is a difference between absolute poverty (living on less than a dollar a day - which some indigenous families in Australia also do), and relative poverty (which I believe is currently having less than $13,000 per year to spend in Australia) and without a doubt being below either 'poverty line' scenario is hardship and I wish no one was.

However, it is pictures like this that make me consider oxfam and other overseas donation gifts as an adult donator. So it's Kmart wishing tree from my kids, but world vision/oxfam/habitat for humanity for myself.

Anyway - wondering if anyone wants to discuss?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally agree, as someone who barely had enough money to put food on the table when ds was born I was at a loss when I looked at our local wishing tree last Christmas and someone asked for a Nintendo dsi
    Another issue I have is people crying poor and buying their children lonsdale clothes and Nike shoes if you can afford these things you are not poor. I get so frustrated at these things

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We're broke but not poor. This is due to bad choices we made/make with money. It's a big difference . If we said goodbye to the phones, foxtel , Internet , alcohol for dp, take out etc we'd be rolling in it. We have a **** load of wants ... There are plenty of people desperately trying to meet needs .

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree there are ppl worse off than us, but how much money can we keep giving to these organizations and it doesnt seem to be enough. Africa is at crisis point but they still manage to keep having children I know it's their culture etc but to bring a child into utter poverty knowing they may not survive is an issue too. I have given to oxfam etc but I would rather give to something closer to home there are ppl here living on less that $2 a day. I know this will offend some but that is how I feel.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cakester69 For This Useful Post:

hopefulmama2b  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cakester69 View Post
    I have given to oxfam etc but I would rather give to something closer to home there are ppl here living on less that $2 a day. I know this will offend some but that is how I feel.
    I don't find it offensive at all, I give to a charity called save the children, they help overseas but there is also a program it's about 35 a month purely for children in Australia. You receive a newsletter telling you what they have been doing to help here and overseas . I don't understand how if i send my money overseas I can give 2 dollars or so I can give a child water for a week but thousands are given and a year and there seems to be no progress.

I also researched different charities and was shocked that for many so little money actually makes it to these countries

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cakester69 View Post
    I agree there are ppl worse off than us, but how much money can we keep giving to these organizations and it doesnt seem to be enough. Africa is at crisis point but they still manage to keep having children I know it's their culture etc but to bring a child into utter poverty knowing they may not survive is an issue too. I have given to oxfam etc but I would rather give to something closer to home there are ppl here living on less that $2 a day. I know this will offend some but that is how I feel.
    You know that women in these countries are often raped to conceive these children? You know they have no contraception? I will always give, these families and children ARE HERE NOW, they exist and need support. How much WOSRE off would they be if no one supported them

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Benji  (24-04-2012),wrena  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This may sound a bit cheesy, but I believe being a charitable person and giving what you can, when you can, is what matters.

There will always be people in need, and making the decision of "who" and "how much" will always be hard - and like everything there will always be those who don't agree with your choice!! But at the end of the day giving something to someone is helping the world in someway.

Just my way of looking at things

Thanks
    Reviews
    @refresh I know that this does go on and it's terrible atrocity but knowing that the money we donate may not actually go to them really frustrates me it seems that these countries get money from donations and thinking we are helping when we may not be is the issue i have .There are so so many out there and it impossible to help them all. I do what I can and where I can. At the moment I'd rather give my money closer to home when I can.