+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Sewage treatment systems.

Okay ladies and gents we are building on 2 acres out at Samford (Qld) the block is my MILs and we are doing a knock-down rebuild plus a granny flat for her.
    We have found a lovely little transportable home for her and are doing a Metricon (Milano) for us but we need to find a sewage treatment system as we don't have town water.

There is a Bore that my MIL currently uses for all her water needs (and this is what she wants to continue to use in the new place too) and a 50 odd thousand litre water tank (underground) that we will be getting cleaned and refurbished if needed. We will be using this for our water needs using rain water and the bore as a back up - filtered. The main issue is with the current sewage is septic which a/ is old and needing upgrading anyway and b/ is not allowed by council anymore.
    So we are looking at our options from DH's research it seems to come down to the chemical ones - that have issues with big loads (ie if you have a party or te likes) and need regular chemicals added and need to be serviced a few times a year. Or the worm farm waste treatment systems - which are more expensive to set up but need less maintenance each year.

So my question is does anyone out there in BH land have experience with these types of systems, pros, cons, advice, traps for young players etc.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Google enviro cycle it's what local council were I grew up required

3. The Following User Says Thank You to A mothers love For This Useful Post:

Seacretsquirrel  (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A mothers love View Post
    Google enviro cycle it's what local council were I grew up required
    I knew the gurus of BH would prevail thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Seacretsquirrel View Post
    I knew the gurus of BH would prevail thanks!
    No probs!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a standard septic in a house we rented & it was cr@p. The ensuite always stunk of sh1t.

When we build we plan on using a Bio Cycle septic system. You can used the water to water your yard etc & it doesn't have to go into a sh1t garden (sorry, I don't know the technical name :-) )

Sent from my Atari 2600

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    we currently have septic cos it came with house, our nieghbours have the new system which is called an 'effuluent field' - not sure what it is but it this like a big drain thing???

we would like the self composting toilets that don't use water and have worms in them (you can get self contained unit that don't smell etc.

my uncle has a special sand filtration system underground that connects back up to a dam? i have no idea what the name of it is but the waste is filitered through 5 sand levels etc.

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We've just put in an Advanced Secondary treatment system as we're on a 1000sqm block and wanted the smallest disposal area we could possibly have (which we've put as sub-surface irrigation under the lawn). After heaps of research (to the point of wishing we could sell the block and buy one on town sewage), we ended up putting in a Krystal Kleer ADV5000.

Been here about 8 weeks now and no problems, disposal area is not boggy (unlike our neighbours who have had enless problems with boggy ground). Has been a bit methane smelling, but plumber was back today and advised it needs a couple of months to settle and also told us what to do to help the bacteria in the system do its job.

So happy with everything, it is just taking me a bit of getting used to using cleaning products that are friendly to the system.

---------------------
    Sent from my mobile device so please excuse my typing missed cakes.
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 12-12-2011 at 20:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live on 2 acres and don't have town sewerage, and we have an earth safe septic tank.. I think it's great!! No smell, the fella comes 4 times a year to service it.. We dont have to use special products in it, (although I do check out most of them to see if they are septic friendly).. Infact the only problem we have had is I had stubborn stains in the shower and used a little too much bleach.. The guy came and put something in it to grow back the bacteria and we haven't had a problem since.. We have sprays in the yard and the grass grows like crazy!!
    IMO I wouldn't have town sewerage if you paid me!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    We had a aqua nova at our last place and a aussie clean now. I prefer the aqua nova.

Thanks
    Reviews
    we have a septic tank (dunno what its called, just a normal plastic septic tank) put in when we lived in the shearers huts and it just sort of ran out the end. when we built this house we kept the tank and put a gravel pit in. i cant remember the exact measurements but it had to be 600mm deep, 600mm wide and 34m long. we did 2 18m trenches and 1/2 filled with gravel then backfilled. we thought it would leach a fair bit of (cleanish) water and grow lots of grass but it just looks the same as the rest of the paddock.

we havnt had any problems with smells and i havnt used any septic specific products (loo paper, cheicals etc). we looked at a grey/blackwater recirculating system thingo but it was fairly dear.