+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please distract and advise me

Hi Hubbers. I'm in hospital at the mo waiting for three diff types of painkiller to kick in (27 weeks pregnant with degenerating fibroids is no fun). So I would love it if you would help take my mind off things with some must-have buys for the baby. E.g. Is there a brand of nappies or wipes you swear by, or a book or an item you have found invaluable. Baby is due late Feb, when it can be really hot here in Adelaide. Many thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Muslin wraps for the hot nights , wondersuits they work well to layer and also breathe quite well. If using disposables I'd swear by huggies but if cloth it depends on bub and shape a bit more I'd swear by a hug a bub/ ERGO as key items

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mummykitty For This Useful Post:

Mopeg  (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Couldn't read and not send some

I'm a first time mum due in January so can't really give you any pointers on what's good for bubs! I have had a lot of people tell me that Huggies are the best disposable nappies.

Have you started setting up bubs room yet?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

Mopeg  (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. Here is some distraction as requested!!

1. We bought a mobile and put it above the area where we change DD. When we change her nappy, she is completely distracted and doesn't cry or wriggle too much. We got the Fisher Price jungle mobile because it has bright, contrasting colours, which babies love.
    2. I loved the book "Bright from the start" by Jill Stamm. It summarises a lot of the research on infant psychological development in an interesting, easy to read way. I also liked Dunstan Baby Language DVD to help me understand the different cries that my baby uses.
    3. Download some free parenting podcasts and have a listen. There are heaps of them - also good distractions!
    4. Not a product or book, but an interesting baby fact: did you know that if you poke your tongue out at your newborn, it will respond by poking its tongue out back at you. You have to put your face quite close to theirs, to compensate for their poor eyesight, but it's a great first interaction and lots of babies can do it within the first couple of days of being born. I tried with DD and it worked at 2 weeks old.

Hope that your pregnancy goes ok and you don't have to stay in hospital too long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Even though we don't have any babies yet, but one of the first things on our list of things to get is a Woombie. It's a peanut swaddling suit. It's great for hot weather cos baby only needs a nappy underneath and since it is a swaddling suit you don't have additional layers of fabric to overheat the Bub. Just google Woombie and get on their website to check out the entire range.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to catemer For This Useful Post:

Mopeg  (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much, all. I like the sound of the swaddling suits/ bags to take the guesswork out of the wrapping. The tongue poking thing is hilarious - I look forward to trying it!
    Summa, we have a cot and a changeable but that's it so far, apart from a few toys and bits rellos and friends have given us. Was planning on a spree at the weekend to get some basic stuff like nappies and a few outfits but ended up on the couch with a heat pack glued to my back instead. DP was disappointed as yesterday was going to be our pram-buying day and he is almost excited about that as our last car purchase lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What pram are you keen on?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Somewhere to sleep Cot/bassinet or your bed

If your breastfeeding Lucas paw paw cream (the best nipple and bum cream) we have one jar for each.

A couple of terry cloth squares for spew rags/put on the change table so any sills can clean easy.

Nappies huggies and home brand wipes

A few short all in one's. So much better than singlets. Singlets ride up.

I love my sheepskin as it get so dam hot here and they keep bub cool in summer and warm in winter.

a few light wraps

a good sized nappy bag

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Mopeg  (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I swear by using face washers just wet with water instead of wipes. Our little boy's bottom gets very irritated whenever we use commercial wipes. So face washers at home and we use "boogie wipes" when out and about cause they are just saline. But they are expensive, hence only using them when out.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

Mopeg  (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and the terry towel nappies "big softies" that you can get from big w for spew rags they come in colours or white. The white ones are cheaper but put fluff on everything?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

Mopeg  (12-12-2011)