+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like there are a lot of us with MIL issues!!

My MIL lives around 2 hours away from us, and it took her a year until she met our daughter. We were down in her town about 5 times in that year and she was always too busy to see us.

Meanwhile on FB she is always commenting on how "her" granddaughter is so beautiful and how she takes after her side of the family. She is also quick to save/steal photos from our FBs and post them on her own and say how gorgeous our DD is... and loves all the comments she gets from her friends about her.

I just don't understand how someone can want so little to do with our DD yet love the attention she gets from being her grandmother? So annoying!

I don't even refer to her as my DDs grandmother in front of her..... as far as I'm concerned she has one grandmother and that's my mum. My husband is fine with this as it upsets him too with how little effort his mum puts in. We haven't even told her we're pregnant this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    she sounds awful DreadlockFairy!!

I am extremely lucky to have a great MIL, but there have been times where she has said and done things that hurt. For instance, after DD1 was born every attribute (her cowlick, her smile, everything!) was from my husband and his siblings!!! And I don't mean 'her hair is just like my daughters' no no, it was said like 'well, she Definately got that smile from my daughter'. Ummm, no!! It's identical to mine! I think she got it from me!
    It only stopped when I quipped one day, 'oh your're right. All I was was the incubator and the mother! She hasn't got anything of mine at all!' Lol, it stopped after that

Surely your friends and family will cotton on to her fakeness

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yup, sounds like mine.

She has seen DD twice in 7 months.

She is not invited to family events on the basis that she's a total disrespectful mole.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My MIL lives 5 mins max away. But she completely favours my niece (her daughters only child), more than my DD. My niece is only 6 mths older, so not much of an age difference, but she sees her alot more than my DD (probably because she has a closer relationship with her daughter than my DH/her son, a mother-daughter thing I guess). But when I take DD over there, she gushes on about niece all the time. And whenever I ask her to baby sit, she has niece already or niece is coming etc etc.
    Plus she didnt come to DDs 1st birthday.
    MIL!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post

I am extremely lucky to have a great MIL, but there have been times where she has said and done things that hurt. For instance, after DD1 was born every attribute (her cowlick, her smile, everything!) was from my husband and his siblings!!! And I don't mean 'her hair is just like my daughters' no no, it was said like 'well, she Definately got that smile from my daughter'. Ummm, no!! It's identical to mine! I think she got it from me!
    It only stopped when I quipped one day, 'oh your're right. All I was was the incubator and the mother! She hasn't got anything of mine at all!' Lol, it stopped after that

Surely your friends and family will cotton on to her fakeness
    Now this one sounds just like mine. When it was was a birthday on DHs side of fam, we all went over to MILs house and all they were talking about is how all their family have boys and how their all huge babies and how it should be a Scottish name AND how I should raise my baby!! I'm still pregnant and I made sure they knew I was ****ed! So I deliberately looked up Irish names and picked an Irish name as that's my fams background HA! this baby has two sides of a family NOT 1!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ditto ditto ditto
    Lol

My mil is all of the above!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    SMIL isn't like that, but my Mum is. She puts on this show of having this close family when the reality is we are not close at all! She didn't even come to DS's 2nd birthday. Dad had a reason he couldn't be there, she didn't. She obviously just didn't want to.

She's not at all interested in our lives, so I am no longer interested in hers. Haven't seen her since Feb and haven't spoken to her since I rang her to tell her I was 6 weeks pregnant. She's made her choice to be un-involved so stuff her I say!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadlockfairy View Post
    Ok so MIL makes no effort with my child. Nothing. Ever. She only lives 20 mins away but isnt interested. Whatever, its her loss. But at my child's bday on the weekend in front of all the family & friends she puts on this act of being the most amazing, involved grandmother. Just for show. She does this whenever there is a family function. Wtf? My child doesn't even have a name for her because she never sees her.

Anyone else have a complete dissapointment of a MIL? I feel like saying or doing something. What would you do? It just p!sses me off!!!! Grrrrr!
    Word.for.word!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub-that's why it's full of bad grammar and spelling mistakes!

dreadlockfairy is offline The best things in life.....aren't things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg THANK YOU for all the replies because I was seriously thinking I was the only one who had lucked out with such a dud MIL. I don't care about *our* relationship but I think it's really sh!tty she can ignore her own grandchild. She doesn't have one photo of my child (in the entirety of her whole life), has never asked or shown interest in getting one and didn't care to take any on the weekend either. Loser.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post

Haha yep this happens also! According to MIL and SIL my girl is a mix of my husband and his sister (my SIL) - but not me in any shape or form. How messed up is that? And creepy......

dreadlockfairy is offline The best things in life.....aren't things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MunchiesMummy View Post
    If you want to be a non involved Nanna thats your choice but dont you dare act like you are any other way for all your friends etc.

Sorry as you can see it drives me UP . THE. WALL!!!
    Exactly!