+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    dreadlockfairy is offline The best things in life.....aren't things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    deleted my post, gotta stop posting personal stuff on threads when it just gets ignored anyway
    Last edited by dreadlockfairy; 14-12-2011 at 08:39.

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abybaby View Post
    This is true but it is hard to explain to a 7 year old who religiously does her homework every night, tries her hardest, is polite and not a troublemaker. One of my friends told me to tell her to be naughty and then do something good to be noticed!! Of course, this was said in jest and i would never do that but it kind of makes sense.
    I think perhaps we get too hung up on awards. Getting noticed and attention isn't the end goal, is it? Isn't it better to be satisfied with being a good student and polite because it sets you up for a better start in life and you learn more, rather than because it will lead to what's really quite an arbitrary award?

I get that is really a tough concept for kids, but that's where we as parents come in and help give them some perspective. Give them a kiss and a cuddle and remind them life isn't about collecting awards.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparklydreamer For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparklydreamer View Post
    I think perhaps we get too hung up on awards. Getting noticed and attention isn't the end goal, is it? Isn't it better to be satisfied with being a good student and polite because it sets you up for a better start in life and you learn more, rather than because it will lead to what's really quite an arbitrary award?

I get that is really a tough concept for kids, but that's where we as parents come in and help give them some perspective. Give them a kiss and a cuddle and remind them life isn't about collecting awards.
    I think recognition is really important. I know that when i work hard at work... i like someone to notice. Even if it is just a pat on the back or an email that says good job. I'm sure there isn't one person that doesn't like to see appreciation of a job well done. My DD didn't get an award at the end of year presentation night (she has the previous two years) and she was perfectly fine with that. She was the one that told me that its nice for other people to get them but she can't understand how she hasn't had one all year long and as a parent, i don't know how to explain that either.

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh yeah, for sure recognition feels good. And if you're a good student that should get recognised in your report card.

My DD did really well this year, is in the accelerated class next year but didn't get an award. i've just told her that she did really well, worked hard, should be proud of herself, and that I don't know why she didn't get one. Sometimes there are reasons we don't know about. Life's like that. And she doesn't need an award to be proud and for us to be proud. She was happy enough with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, and her work and also mannerisms were recognised in her report however if you do a quick caluclation, at the school my DD goes to there would be approx 80 awards given out for her class of 25 students over the entire year. I think out of those 80 awards the teacher should surely be able to recognise each child for something well done. And it really does mean the world to a young child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I actually don't have a problem with him not getting an award. I have my suspicions about 'who' got awards but ultimately it was the teachers decision and she made that decision how she saw fit. That didn't include DS. I don't disagree with that. But I'm not here, as a Mum to reward "achievement", I'm here to reward "effort" and to support him. And his "effort" has been one of the most outstanding of the class. So, according to this- yes, I do think he derserves a BIG FAT MEDAL!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My friends kid has a severe physical disability, 2 years in a row he has been given the 'excellence for Phys. Ed.' award. She has said 'obviously they are rewarding him for making an effort despite huge personal obstacles, but for the kids in the class who do excel and try their hardest it seems unfair'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking him out to celebrate his hard work all year. I'd be on the 'not every kid can get an award' bandwagon if you were up at the school demanding he got one for his efforts. You're not though, you're accepting the school's decision and wanting to let your son know how proud you are of his achievements.
    Even as adults we like to know that others have acknowledged our efforts, if you can't even get that from your parents as a child that's pretty sad really.

I never, ever, ever got an award at school no matter how hard I tried. I was an average student and was overlooked my whole schooling life but it didn't really matter because my parents would acknowledge my hard work and we would celebrate together as a family, along with my sister who got an award every single time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

A dinner out with you sounds really lovely

I've been trying to work out whether I should say anything to DDs teacher because she was the only one not to receive a Kindy award throughout the year
    The teacher quite clearly dislikes my daughter (often ignores her or snaps at her) and for this reason I kept track of the rewards, and mine was the only one to miss out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post

A dinner out with you sounds really lovely

I've been trying to work out whether I should say anything to DDs teacher because she was the only one not to receive a Kindy award throughout the year
    The teacher quite clearly dislikes my daughter (often ignores her or snaps at her) and for this reason I kept track of the rewards, and mine was the only one to miss out
    I would be talking to the principal if that's the case then.