+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default DS got upset he didn't get an award. :(

Just came back from DS school presentation. He came back into his classroom all red face and teary eyed. He'd been crying because he didn't get an award. Poor little mite. We had the 'try your best, proud of you' talk but I'm thinking I might take him out for 'proud of you for trying your best' dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can completely sympathise. My DD managed to go the whole of this year without a merit certificate at the fortnightly assemblies. I put it down to her being an average student. Her report was great but she obviously didn't do anything that stood out. Found it odd though after last year where she got 8 for the year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe get him a little badge or medal and do a special meal? That way he is rewarded for doing his best and knows that's always enough and you're proud of him

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mummykitty For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (13-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    aby- yes, DS got a couple of awards but not an outstanding amount. I also put it down to not being a stand out.

I also noticed that of the 5 kids that got awards today- all 5 of them have parents that drop them off/pick them up from school with regular talks with the teachers and regular assistance in the classroom. About half the kids in the class have parents who regulary pick them up. Coincidence?

Mummykitty- I was thinking of doing just that. Maybe printing out a certificate.

mystical mumma is offline * ʇı ǝןoʇs sǝıɹıɐɟ ǝɥʇ ˙˙˙puıɯ ʎɯ ʇsoן ʇuǝʌɐɥ ı *
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Will always remember my mum taking me to the shops after a school sports carnival and buying me a ribbon, I have written next to it in my best 7 year old writing "just for me because I came fourth" lol.

I hope ur ds doesn't think he wasn't worthy of an award. A special dinner and present him with a home made award for being the worlds greatest son should cheer him up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We can't some win something every time. Isn't that how life is?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

emzluvbub  (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    As we get older we learn this, but for a young child who's worked so hard it can be discouraging to think that still isn't enough and even if we don't win the bigger race I think it's important to let them know their effort be it something like a personal best or whatever is recognized and appreciated..

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not everyone can get an award, and if they did it'd be meaningless.

Its hard to watch our kids get upset, but it can also be a good lesson to learn that you don't always get a prize/award. And sometimes you won't get one even when you think you deserved it.

I'd just give him a big hug, reinforce how proud of him you are, and emphasise that's what most important is that he is happy with his work and effort this year. And then go out for an end of school year celebration.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparklydreamer For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    This is true but it is hard to explain to a 7 year old who religiously does her homework every night, tries her hardest, is polite and not a troublemaker. One of my friends told me to tell her to be naughty and then do something good to be noticed!! Of course, this was said in jest and i would never do that but it kind of makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparklydreamer View Post
    Not everyone can get an award, and if they did it'd be meaningless.

Its hard to watch our kids get upset, but it can also be a good lesson to learn that you don't always get a prize/award. And sometimes you won't get one even when you think you deserved it.

I'd just give him a big hug, reinforce how proud of him you are, and emphasise that's what most important is that he is happy with his work and effort this year. And then go out for an end of school year celebration.
    This is very well put!.... He might have missed out this year, but he has learnt a great lesson even though it might seem to be sucky right now.

OP, it must be hard watching your little fella be upset over this..... I would just keep telling him how proud you are of him and hopefully he will forget how upset he feels.