+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stopping bottles cold turkey?

Has anyone stopped giving their toddler a bottle cold turkey? My DD is over 2 now and used to just have milk at night in her bottle as comfort and I thought she would give it up in her own time. Unfortunately she has'nt been well and she constantly wants the bottle all day. She is not eating much food (has always been very fussy eater) and getting constipated. The problem is she is such a determined, intense little girl and it will not be easy at all, plus i'm tired and emotional from lack of sleep. Has anyone had success doing this and how long roughly did it take for your baby/toddler to stop asking for it?! Also, I know it is bad for teeth etc to be on bottle, but we've had a really tough time with her so please dont judge, Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We stopped DS's bottles at 13 months cold turkey & just gave him milk in a sippy cup instead, he refused it twice, then had no problems with it at all after that.He's never asked for a bottle since (well he wasn't really talking at the time we stopped them!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When we stopped DD's bottles we swapped for a "special bedtime drink". It was just a sippy cup of milk, before brushing teeth etc so she wasn't going to bed WITH the bottle.
    Worked a treat.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to danielle13 For This Useful Post:

Pinkabelle  (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    My DD was about 2 when we suggested she give hers to the easter bunny at easter time and the easter bunny might give her something extra special for it. Seeing as Christmas is just around the corner maybe you could sit down with her and write a letter to santa about how big she is getting and how she might think of giving her bottle to santa for something special. It worked a treat with her. I got the idea from my mum who did it with my brothers successfully. If she complains afterwards then tell her that santa really needed it to give to the baby elves or baby reindeer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Pinkabelle  (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Iw1981, that's a great idea! She is getting into Christmas and santa this year so will give that a go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    your very welcome. I know lots of people who have had excellent success getting their kids to give up bottles, dummies etc The longer she has to get used to the idea the better. She will probably get excited over the idea. Just stay strong on the night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD turned 2 in September. I kept giving her the morning and evening bottle simply because i didnt know what else to give her. But 2 weeks ago, i bit the bullet. Instead of giving her milk in a bottle, i sat her down and told her that she is getting to be a big girl now. And now that she has turned the big 2, she will need to use a cup (one of those plastic throw away sippy cups that you can buy in a pk of 4 at Coles). I also explained that there are other little babies that need to use bottles and a 'bottle fairy' will be coming to collect these bottles tonight when we are all asleep.
    In all honesty, i made up this huge story for her and got her really engrossed and before i knew it, she was getting all her bottles out of the draw for the fairy to come and collect.
    So the last week or so after using these cups, missy hasnt even been interested in drinking milk out of them. So, the other night, i gave her cheese and bikkies instead of the cup and she didnt even batter an eye lid.
    The last couple of mornings, while i make my tea, i ask her if she wants some milk and she has been saying no.
    ...heck, im fine with this! Its worked for us and missy has totally forgotten about the bottles!