+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Please help- 14 month old refusing sleep

Hi
    I am at my wits end
    Last night he went down at the normal 6 but was up again at 7.
    Panadol. Nurofen, he will not settle. I'm soo at my wits end

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could have written this word for word. Dd has been like this for the last week as well and she too is 14 months old.

The only thing I find that works with her is getting her up and letting her play. If we don't she just screams and gets so upset. Even patting and rocking does not work. She normally plays for about an hour to an hour and a half then I give her another bottle and most times she goes back to sleep.

I think her problem is that she's teething but all the usual remedies don't work either

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you Rhoda, although I'm sorry you're going through the same thing I feel quite relieved I'm not the only one.
    I don't let him cry either, he just gets too worked up
    Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could they be ready to drop a day sleep / delay their bedtime?

Thanks
    Reviews
    i went through this with my ds and im about to go through the same thing with dd, the best advice i can give is to really wear them out during the day so that all they want to do is sleep sometimes they may not wear off enough energy , but giving into there cries will only make things worse and they will develop a habit , you have to ignore there cries (i know it sounds cruel) and it is hard but they need to wear themselves out for your own good and theirs, any nurse or doctor will tell you the same thing its for the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nurse here
    Don't agree that this ^^^^ is for their own good at all. Letting babies cry can be very detrimental for their mental health, so much so that the Australian Association for Infant Mental Health has put out a position paper advising against it.
    http://www.aaimhi.org/inewsfiles/controlled_crying.pdf
    Leaving them to cry feels cruel as it goes against the natural instinct you have as a mother to soothe your crying baby. Babies cry as their only means of communication, not because they are being manipulative, they are telling you that from where they lay, something is wrong.
    October and Rhoda, head over to the no cry sleep solutions area under the sleeping discussion headline for some helpful advice.
    Last edited by AllYouNeedIsLove; 13-12-2011 at 22:24. Reason: forgot the link

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dd6 wanted to drop her day sleeps super early. The only way I used to get her to sleep was putting her in our bed, laying down with her and reading a couple of books. I would then lay with her until she fell asleep. Sometimes when she was being really stubborn I would need to sing her to sleep.
    This to me was better then no sleep or her screaming in her own room.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma inky View Post
    Nurse here
    Don't agree that this ^^^^ is for their own good at all. Letting babies cry can be very detrimental for their mental health, so much so that the Australian Association for Infant Mental Health has put out a position paper advising against it.
    http://www.aaimhi.org/inewsfiles/controlled_crying.pdf
    Leaving them to cry feels cruel as it goes against the natural instinct you have as a mother to soothe your crying baby. Babies cry as their only means of communication, not because they are being manipulative, they are telling you that from where they lay, something is wrong.
    October and Rhoda, head over to the no cry sleep solutions area under the sleeping discussion headline for some helpful advice.
    that may be so with new born babies , but this post is about a 14 month old, and at that age its okay to let them cry themselves to sleep because if you don't you are giving into there cries for attention for instance if i child is having a tantrum and crying you don't give into the cries or the tantrum because your showing the child they have power over you its the same thing , and have you noticed how this generation is more rude and disrespectful to their parents its because of how all of these new infant laws that basically tell you don't smack your child and let them cry and make sure you give in to their every request, all of these things basically tells a child that they can walk all over there parents and not do as there told and get away with anything they want, that's not good parenting children should be raised the way they were in the 50's, if they were you wouldn't see kids robbing the elderly , they would be helping them across the road .............so is letting them cry really that big of a deal ? NO its for the parents sake and the child's and as for mental health all i can do is laugh, i left my son to cry and his mental health is fine, in fact its more than fine he is a very happy child with an IQ of 130

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your replies, but I feel letting him cry is not good for him at all.
    I don't think he will rob the elderly as a result either.
    I will let him grizzle, but full blown crying is him communicating to me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to october For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (14-12-2011)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What are his day sleeps like? Maybe he needs to wake up earlier from an afternoon nap so he's tired enough for bed time...