+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Need new second hand car that fits 5yo, 3 yo and new born in back -

Can you list off some cars for me. I dont want to spend more than 20K (in all honesty 20k is more than we have.) I want safety. I want boot space.

Looking at holden commodore ve omega
    would love a mazda or toyota, but they hold their value too well :-( Want parts if needed to be easy to get and cheap.

Hoping for 2003-2005 models and above

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a vx commodore wagon and it fits my 6,3 and 7 month olds car seats beautifully. dh has a Toyota surf wagon and it doesn't even come close.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A friend of mine just bought a suburu station wagon (an outback I think?) that fits three car seats comfortably...not sure what they paid, but theyre on one (low) income, so I wouldnt imagine their budget would have been higher than yours....
    Happy car shopping

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about a 4wd? You could get something for 20k easy.
    Toyotas hold value pretty well. Or a Honda crv.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just bought a 2008 Toyota Camry with really low kms privately for $14000. The boot space is HUGE!! And it is really nice and smooth to drive. Highly recommend. I have a 6 year old and 3 year old and their two seats fit with heaps of room in the middle for a seat for little bubby due in August. Good luck finding what you are after!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We had a Ford Falcon xr6 and it easily fit 3 car seats across the back, I actually had a huge car accident with all the kids in the back and it was extremely safe(I am pretty sure it holds awards for safest car) and even though it was a write off noone was hurt and our insurance claim came through quickly. We have since brought a 4wd but it is no where near as spacious as the xr6 was, so we are looking at buying another next year. You can get 2010 models for 20k. but we are looking at getting a 2004/2005 model which will se us back between 10-16k, depending on which model and what extras it has.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Go for the VE. They'll fit the carseats with room to spare, are a pleasure to drive (they don't feel big), hold their value, parts are cheap, are much easier to park than a 4wd, and are as safe as houses.
    Here's the safety rating for them, they're rated very highly, about 34.5 out of 37. The equivalent model Toyota Camry rated 27 out of 37. The equivalent model of a few of the Mazdas rate nearly as well (32/37 for the cx7) but the price of parts and the rapid depreciation puts me off them, I also don't feel they're quite as wide as the VE.
    There's no doubt in my mind I'd go for the VE.