+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sisters sharing a room.... help!!!

Does anyone have their children share a room?
    I have 2 girls (3yo and 17 months old) and am also preg with no# 3. I'd like it if they both would share a room so baby could have a room to itself (purely for the crying and settling etc). we have 4 bedrooms but one is being used as a study which we wouldnt be able to change into a bedroom as we need the study so we dont really have the option of not sharing a room.

just wondering, for those that have been in the same boat or know of anyone that has been, how did you go about this?

Q1 - did they have bunk beds or 2 single beds? (not keen on the bunks as i'm terrified DD1 would fall out from so high, and also both will be in single beds). Theres the option of having the beds in an "L" shape along the walls or one on each side of the walls but then either way its gonna be very squashy.....

Q2 - how did you get both to sleep at the same time, at a reasonable time? DD2 is very.... well..... naughty so i know i'll have probs with her going to sleep. i'm sure she'll want to encourage DD1 to play up

i guess they're my main 2 questions i need answered for now....

Hopefully this is only a temporary thing until maybe another year or so until we buy another bigger house.

any suggestions/ideas/advice etc is greatly appreciated!!!
    TIA!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to noopy For This Useful Post:

MrsCC  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have bunks but we did have single/ toddler bed before that and that worked too. Ds is a climber so I wasn't really worried about him in a bunk bed.

As for bedtimes you can stagger it or you can put them down together. We have done both. Staggering it has it's advantages in that if sleep child 1 is in a deep sleep child 2 is less likely to wake them etc. We prefer to bed together and we are strict about it. They get tucked in have a story and lights out. Then we go from there, as with most things takes a couple of weeks adjusting but stick to it and it turns out ok also helps if they have an established bed time as they'll want to fall asleep then . My ds is 4 and dd is just 3 and they've been sharing for over a year now I think good luck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mummykitty For This Useful Post:

noopy  (13-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Everything MummyKitty said

We've never had any problems. My girls were close before we put them in the same room, but now they are closer than ever. A real little team

Go for it! What have you got to lose? If it doesn't work (give it an honest couple of months) change it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaC For This Useful Post:

noopy  (13-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bunks aren't recommended for children under the age of 8, so, no I wouldn't recommend bunks. But I would recommend toddler beds. Look out for specials at Target - they have a lovely white wooden toddler bed that often goes on sale for half price. My ds is very tall but only moved from his toddler bed to a single bed at age 4. He could have probably lasted in it for another year if needed though.

As for bed time I'm not personally sure. I've heard that it's good to stagger bedtime, putting one down first, then settling the other one elsewhere then putting them in bed. My ds & my nephew did share a room on holidays (at age 4) and we couldn't put them to sleep at the same time or they'd talk/muck up. But we put my ds down first (he usually has an earlier bed time than my nephew) and then half an hour my nephew went down. It worked well.

Nmgb is offline No relationship is all sunshine, but two people can share one umbrella and survive the storm ♡
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My girls are 3 and a half and 17 months. DD1 has a standard single bed and DD2 has a trundle bed that we have half under DD1's bed to make an "L" shape. Works well for us I personally wouldn't go bunk beds cos DD2 is a climber so it was far too dangerous to even really consider.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nmgb For This Useful Post:

noopy  (13-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have a 4 year old DD and a 17 month old DD, 14 year old sil also lives with us and I am pregnant with our third. We have a 4 bedroom house. ATM each girl has their own room, but I will be moving DD2 and DD1 into the same room and using DD1s old room as the nursery. DD1 plays up most nights so I am worried, but I have a plan in place. I will put DD2 to bed first, let her go to sleep and then put DD1 to bed. Thankfully once they are asleep they are both heavy sleepers so if one wakes up, the other won't be disturbed. I was going to put DD1 in with sil but chose not to as sil needs to have that space of her own, especially for study etc.

DD1 is obviously in her own normal bed, and once we move them into the same room, DD2 will go into a big bed as well. No bunks yet though as I know it will end in broken bones. They have shared a room when DD2 was newborn and waking every 2 hours and we didn't have an issue, so I am hoping it will be the same again.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

noopy  (13-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much to everyone! I think the best bet for me would be 2 singles in one room - either in an "L" shape or one on each side of the room.

Nmgb - we have very similar children. mine are the same age (3 yrs and 17 months old) and DD2 is a climber! omg, i cant stand it! can't to ANYTHING without having eyes at the back on my head!!! she climbs on chairs, tables, book cases!!!!!!!

it will be her climbing up on the top if there was a bunk and i'd be paranoid of her falling. not so much DD1 as i think thats what i initially wrote. i think i meant to write DD2!

anyhow, thats to everyone. guess i'll have to give it a good shot for about a month and see how it works. a month.. wow..... that seems FOREVER when you lose your whole night! we have a pretty strict bedtime routine and bedtime. girls in bed at 7pm where i read and maybe sing or just talk for a bit with a few cuddles in between, then DD1 usually falls asleep by 7.20pm. then i grab DD2 and put her to bed in her room. in the last week (since they both slept over my parents house!!!! so yeah, maybe its nana's fault!!) DD2 has been playing up and has required me to rock or sing her to sleep. me.... not so much a fan of that. back to the CC last night and tonight she only yelled for a few mins and now shes fast asleep.

shes a really good sleeper - they both are - but i guess i'm just worried once they start sharing rooms (which wont be for another few months anyways!) i'll start having probs with getting both of them to go to sleep.

anyways, i guess i'll give it a shot and see how i go.
    Thanks to everyone again for their input!!

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds as iif you already got what you needed here, but anyway! My two (5 & 3) have been sharing a room for ages now. I put them to bed at the same time - read a story etc and then it's lights out. I have two single beds in an L shape. I've found the two girls really love it, and I don't know when/if they'll ever want to be sperated!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

noopy  (15-12-2011)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My two girls have shared a room since they were 1&3 we had no choice only a two bedroom house
    We had a single bed and toddler bed then swapped to bunk beds but they used to use it as a jungle gym and be silly so when I moved I separated them into single beds and find it a lot better, in this house they could have their own rooms but they want to share and I often find them in the same bed

I found putting them to bed at the same time worked well, but they often wake each other up in the morning

If one was being Naughty and keeping the other up I would normally put them in my bed till both were asleep then move them

I also found not having toys in there apart from their Teddy helped
    Last edited by bunkx; 13-12-2011 at 22:49.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post:

noopy  (15-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My two girls started sharing a room about 2 and a half years ago (they were 5 & 3) and it started out ok but it got to a point that it was taking literally hours for them to go to sleep! So even though we live in a tiny house we had no choice but to separate them, my poor DP and I now have half a loungeroom and zero privacy as our "bedroom". Wish we could afford a bigger house but until then we have to do the best with what we have As far as I know most sisters share a room really well, mine are just an exception cause their polar opposites of each other.
    Good Luck!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Missy14 For This Useful Post:

noopy  (15-12-2011)