+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Port Hedland help!!

Hi

We are moving to Hedland soon and my hubby's job is in South but we have been told to look for a place in Port?? Are there any bad areas of Port we should be staying away from??

Thanks for any help. Its all a bit scary!

Kathy

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    See if you can message DaddyLarge. I know he's up that way .

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We've been up here for nearly 6 years. Port is definitely a nicer place to live than South. To be honest, it isn't even close.

But if you're planning on finding a place in Port, you better hope that your pockets (or your employer's pockets) are REALLY deep. Prices are ridiculous in South - but it has just been announced that rentals in Port Hedland are the most expensive in the country. You'll be looking at $2k a week for even a half-decent 3-bedder. SOuth Hedland is probably a few hundred a week cheaper on average.

That said, while South is undoubtedly worse from a crime and ambiance standpoint, Port Hedland is still no bed of roses. Port or South, it's all still Hedland, so get used to dealing with crime, antisocial behaviour and broken glass as far as the eye can see. Port Hedland is also home to the Nelsons Point facility, where ore is crushed and shipped. Dust is a factor everywhere up here, but it is significantly worse in Port. If you have young babies or anyone with respiratory issues, it is something to consider.

If you do go to Port, Pretty Pool is the primo place to live, with Cooke Point a distant second. I would not suggest getting a place near the port itself. Aside from being the dust and industry epicentre, it is also home to the pubs and the associated Friday and Saturday night drunken revelry.

There are also nicer areas of South, but it is (and I'm not kidding here) a street-by-street proposition. Get a place two streets in the wrong direction, and you'll be sorry.

Feel free to PM or Skype me. I'll be happy to give you the lowdown on any houses that you might be looking at. I work in the peripheries of the real estate industry in town, so I should be able to help you out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

Craignkat  (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you end up living in south hedland stay away from koombana avenue.

DL is right south hedland is a street by street place. Feel free to pm me too. I lived in south but worked in port.

Rent is astronomical in both so hopefully work is covering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefully2 For This Useful Post:

Craignkat  (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps.

Yeah work is paying for a house up to about $2,500 per week, so that should get us a basic 3 x 1!

There is currrently a house up for rent on Anderson Street (closer to the shops) in Port but I wasn't sure if this was ok as its not Pretty Pool or Cooke Point. I have my 3 year old a position in day care in Port but my husbands job will be in South. I will be working from home so need to find a place before I can head up!

Its quite difficult to see a place on the net and know whether its an ok place to live. We have visited the town before but its all different when you are looking at staying.

Once I figure out how to pm I will give it a go (newbie)

Thanks
    Last edited by Craignkat; 12-12-2011 at 08:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would try for pretty pool. Lots of mums. I have stacks of friends with three year olds there. If you want a couple of contacts pm me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will look at real estate.com tonight I tell you what I think is good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister and her bf live (well sis is back over in NSW awaiting the birth of her first bub while her bf does FIFO) in South Hedland.
    She liked it over there (except for the crime etc as DaddyLarge said). She will be moving back once bub is about 6 months.
    They have a newish hospital over there.
    She said rent is so expensive. Her bf's company pays for their house over there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone.

After a few calls today I was pretty much told that we will not be able to find a rental at all. The bigger companies are offering more $$ and longer leases so the smaller guys don't have a chance.

Really dissapointing as now I am not sure what we will be doing. DH may have to go FIFO which is devastating.

I was really looking forward to a new start :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really I own property there. You should get something. Call up Crawford realty.