+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my 19w scan last week and found out I've got a low lying placenta (anterior). I read up on it in one of my pregnancy books. Apparently 5% of women have this. Of those, in 95% of cases, the placenta moves up as the belly expands and a vaginal birth is possible. At the moment, my placenta is quite large relative to the uterus.

The book also said there are four grades, and a caesarean is only necessary for grades 3 and 4. Grade 1 - lying near the cervix. Grade 2 - edge of placenta touching the end of the cervix. Grade 3 - partially covering. Grade 4 - completely covering the cervix.

I was also told I may need another scan in my third semester to check its location.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My placenta wad covering my cervix at my 12 week scan. At my 20 week scan it had moved right out of the way to the top left corner. So try not to stress as most of the time it will move as u get bigger

Sent from my HTC Rhyme S510b using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a low lying posterior placenta that had moved by 31 weeks.
    Good luck and I hope it moves for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a low lying placenta at my 18 week scan, forgot about it because I was told that most of them move up anyway.
    Unfortunately with me (old debbie downer here) I had a bleed a 29 weeks, another at 30 weeks (which landed me in hospital for 4 weeks), another at 33 weeks and finally one massive one at 34 weeks (in the middle of my blood transfusion so I could go HOME from hospital lol). At that last bleed they decided to give me an emergency c-sec under a general and I was knocked out!
    12 hours later I met my beautiful healthy baby boy! Perfect in every way!
    I had lost a lot of blood, however I was receiving blood at just the right time, so it didn't really matter too much!

Not to be a total drag, but that's my experience with a low lying placenta. I was a Grade 4 previa though, which meant the placenta was ALL the way down there. A few good kicks from my son was enough to make it angry

However! Fingers crossed that it moves up and you have a happy healthy and awesome pregnancy! My doc told me that once they go up, they don't go back down!

Thanks
    Reviews
    This may be a really dumb question but is there anything you can/anything recommended to try and move it? Like certain exercises or something? Should I start standing on my head??

When I had my 12w scan, the tech didn't say anything to me but my mid wife pointed it out when she read the report that it's sitting low. She just said "we'll check it at your morph scan and hopefully it's moved."

No one has mentioned a c-section to me (yes I know it's still early) but now I'm freaking out as I really want/need a natural birth as I just don't have time to be doing nothing for 6w after! Obviously I'll do whatever I have to to make sure bubs is ok but still...

Thanks
    Reviews
    EllieB - 95% of low lying placentas move up out of the way by the time your bun is baked. They'll check your placenta again at your morphology scan and it might have moved by then. Its REALLY too early to worry about a caesarean.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeJu's Mum For This Useful Post:

ElleB  (14-12-2011)