+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Placenta: Posterior Low...

I had an ultrasound the other day and the results came back saying the placenta is low lying... the doctor said that if it doesn't lift by the 18-20 week scan then they would order another scan at 32 weeks... and if it still hasn't lifted then I can't have a natural birth due to the placenta being "in the way of the babys way out", so I'd have to have a c-section....

How common is this? Can anyone tell me their experience?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes, I had a posterior low lying placenta at 12 and 20 weeks (was within 1cm of cervical OS). Had a scan at about 32 weeks and it had moved out of the way. I had a vaginal delivery at 41 weeks. Oh, and this was with DD just 2 months ago.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had the same thing with dd1 & dd2 my doctor was happy to see what happened until around 38 weeks ( scan every doc appointment) but by 36ish weeks my placenta had moved so no c-sections for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I was told at my 18 week scan that my placenta was quite low by the scan tech. Unfortunately she didn't quite give me the full story and when I saw my ob next she told me that my placenta was actually partially covering my cervix. She has been monitoring it since then with scans at each appointment (I'm now 35 weeks) and unfortunately it hasn't changed.

I'm booked in for a c-section before my EDD as they can't risk me going into labour.

I hope yours moves. I've heard plenty of stories where it has (think I even did a similar thread to this when I first found out!). Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I got told this at my 20 week scan.
    The lady scanner person said they normally moved up.

The ob said that it was pretty low and probably wouldn't move that much and decided that a c-section would be best.

I had little intention of having a natural birth anyway so it didn't matter to me. Apparently it didn't move anyway.

I hope it moves up for u and you can have a natural birth.

Edt: mine was at the back and low and the baby used to lay on it and it did something with her heart rate do I had to lay on my left hand side ALL the time! It was awful!
    Last edited by Eleven Eleven; 11-12-2011 at 18:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did they say if it was anterior or posterior?

I have a complete placenta previa, seen at 20 weeks, scan booked for tomorrow to re-check, but ended up in hosp yesterday and they did a scan which showed it hasn't moved at all. If its posterior the likely hood of it moving is slim, if its anterior then the chance of it moving is high. mine is posterior.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by boomits4 View Post
    Did they say if it was anterior or posterior?

I have a complete placenta previa, seen at 20 weeks, scan booked for tomorrow to re-check, but ended up in hosp yesterday and they did a scan which showed it hasn't moved at all. If its posterior the likely hood of it moving is slim, if its anterior then the chance of it moving is high. mine is posterior.
    Yeah it says Placenta: Posterior low, structure normal.

I don't think I care if I have a normal birth or C-section, as long as my baby is healthy.... I just don't like it when things are not normal... LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I too had a low lying placenta at my 20 week scan.. Thankfully for me it moved and just this past wednesday I gave birth (naturally) to my healthy baby boy!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm actually not sure what mine is like yet. I have my 18 week scan in 2 weeks. What is the best postition for it to be in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 18 week scan showed that my placenta was sitting right over the opening of my cervix.
    I didnt have much faith in it moving, but have just had a follow up scan at 31 weeks, and it has been found that it moved 5cm away, so that is great news!
    So it can move!
    Now I can start planning for the birth! Sonmething I hadnt really thought about too much!

Good luck, I hope yours moves too!