View Poll Results: Would you keep your ex-husbands surname?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 30.00%
  • No

25 50.00%
  • Other

10 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Other.

I never took his surname in the first place. The way I saw it, we were joining our lives. I didn't see why I had to lose part of my identity to do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My MIL kept FIL's surname when they split (DH was 3yrs old at the time) I think mainly cos her maiden name wasn't the easiest to say/spell/like.

I'll probably keep dh's name if we split - only cos I DESPISE my maiden name and most of my family members (sans my dad's sister who never married and my DD, who was born before I started seeing DH) who carry that surname.

Even though heaps of people spell it wrong, it sounds heaps nicer than my maiden name. I'm leaving it up to DD on whether she wants to change her name to my married name (like her soon to be little brother, stepdad and myself) or keep the surname she currently has.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love my married name and was proud to take it.
    How ever if we were to divorce I'd change my name back to my maiden name faster than the ink took to dry.
    It wouldn't bother me my children would have a different name. My mum and dad never married so I grew up with mum having a different name.
    I'm trying to convince mum to get rid of her married name now after my step dad walk out I wouldn't want it if I was her. But she won't change it because of my brother

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have kept it. My kids have that name, and I like it better than my maiden name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love my married name and was proud to take it.
    How ever if we were to divorce I'd change my name back to my maiden name faster than the ink took to dry.
    It wouldn't bother me my children would have a different name. My mum and dad never married so I grew up with mum having a different name.
    I'm trying to convince mum to get rid of her married name now after my step dad walk out I wouldn't want it if I was her. But she won't change it because of my brother

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    when he asked me to marry me he was asking me to take on his name. which is now MY name. so no i would not change it back as i share this name with my 4 children.

if he wanted me to change it i would have all 4 children hyphenated with my maiden name(which is nasty as our names are both massive lol)

i WOULD however go back to Ms as i would no longer be a Mrs.

and lastly if he remarried then she would know going in that he has a history. not my problem if she has issues with my name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummaof4 View Post
    when he asked me to marry me he was asking me to take on his name. which is now MY name. so no i would not change it back as i share this name with my 4 children.

if he wanted me to change it i would have all 4 children hyphenated with my maiden name(which is nasty as our names are both massive lol)

i WOULD however go back to Ms as i would no longer be a Mrs.

and lastly if he remarried then she would know going in that he has a history. not my problem if she has issues with my name.
    I very much agree with all of this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ive already lived this situation.

i went back to my maiden name and got DD's surname hyphernated.

a few years later i re-married and took DH's surname and changed DD's surname again to reflect mine.

i know thats a lotta changes in a few short years but i dont regret them

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I get married I will change my name to my mothers maiden name which my children already have (although DD is hyphernated with her FOBs unfortunately).

If DP wants me to have the same name he'll have to change to my name.

He has an ex-wife with his name, who I imagine wouldn't change back due to her maiden name being a bit crap.

I always intended to change my name to my mothers maiden name, the ex wife just gives me more reason
    Last edited by Stiflers Mom; 12-12-2011 at 09:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm keeping my surname and adding DP's when we marry. If we had no children I'd probably go back to my maiden surname only (I love my surname, it's 'me') but if we did I'd keep his as well. I have a different surname to DS and I hate it.

A new wife for DP wouldn't even factor into my mind. I try to be as amicable as possible with my XDP's partner as I have to deal with her a lot and she's great. I don't like unecessary drama but I wouldn't change my surname just to please a new wife. I'm always surprised how possessive people are of their husband/wife, I'm fully aware that DP had ex girlfriends etc, I certainly don't think he was a v!rgin when he met me with absolutely no history lol.