+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Default Ok I am old and it's been a while. Question re morph scan

As the title says I am old and my memory is not very good.

I had surgery last wed and my morph scan is on monday. My whole tummy is still very sore and covered in bruises and has stitches.

I kinda remember them asking you to lie on your side so the can check kidney/ovary?

I can't lie on side yet, hopefully i will heal enough to be able to do it tomorrow.

How high do they put the gel? eg is right up to belly button or even over it.

I have a very sore and very raw scar from surgery last week.

Does anyone know if they can see through a band aid (you know the big white ones they put on after surgery)?

thanks in advance.....

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    You poor thing

I have never been asked to lie on my side in a morph scan some think you'll be right for that one but did seem to have gel pretty much everywhere. Can't help with the surgery tape though sorry.

Can you delay it a week, although I know you'd be anxious to see bub and gain some reassurance too

Eta and btw, you are not old!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (11-12-2011),LoveLivesHere  (11-12-2011)

Shortiii is offline Baby H v2.0 - Anticipating April release
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just had my morph scan 2 weeks ago.

I didn't have to lie on my side... They got the ovaries from lying flat and the gel was contained to the lower pelvic region... nowhere near my belly button.

When I had an emergency scan done in the ER, they made me roll on my side, check kidneys, gall bladder etc. But that was a fasting U/s also.

No idea about the bandaid sorry.

I'd just let them know your concerns and what you can't so, and they should hopefully be careful and accommodating!

Hope you enjoy your scan.. I love the morph scan

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shortiii For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (11-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    You poor thing

I have never been asked to lie on my side in a morph scan some think you'll be right for that one but did seem to have gel pretty much everywhere. Can't help with the surgery tape though sorry.

Can you delay it a week, although I know you'd be anxious to see bub and gain some reassurance too

Eta and btw, you are not old!
    Thanks
    I going to try and have it done as I need to see bub, even though bub kicks I need to see that all that morphine and the surgery hasn't hurt bub. I booked this appointment 6 weeks ago and they could get me in at 18 or 19weeks. I had to wait until 20 weeks. So I don't think I could delay it, even if i wanted too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would delay if you could - while I didn't have to lie on my side they do jab quite a bit to get a good look which would be painful if you've had surgery.

I hope you feel better soon!

ETA - sorry just saw you can't delay it. Just let then know to be gentle on you

**Coming to you live from my iPhone**

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nerdgirl99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is it possible to delay? My NT scan a couple of weeks ago was painful with all the pressing down (I am on the larger side, so they have to press a little harder to get a good image) and I haven't had any recent surgery!

I did have to lay on my side in my last morph scan to get views of the baby from different angles. It was also all over my belly - above my belly button. I remember because I have a lapband and my port is above my belly button and they were hurting me trying to see around my port.

As for the bandaid, I don't think they can see through it because they need the gel to help transmit the image.

Good luck

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah28 View Post
    Is it possible to delay? My NT scan a couple of weeks ago was painful with all the pressing down (I am on the larger side, so they have to press a little harder to get a good image) and I haven't had any recent surgery!

I did have to lay on my side in my last morph scan to get views of the baby from different angles. It was also all over my belly - above my belly button. I remember because I have a lapband and my port is above my belly button and they were hurting me trying to see around my port.

As for the bandaid, I don't think they can see through it because they need the gel to help transmit the image.

Good luck
    So I am not going crazy, thank you. I was almost 180 kgs at my last morph scan. I was sure they had me on my side. Hopefully this time they won't have too as I have lost a lot since then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They do tend to really push the probe in and I reckon if you've had surgery it's going to really hurt you. Also yes it could be as high as your belly button.

I think that if it's hurting they may offer to do a trans vaginal scan instead? Not very pleasant but heaps better than being in pain? You may need to discuss this with them when you go in.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (11-12-2011),laurea  (11-12-2011),LoveLivesHere  (11-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im sorry, Im not aware of your whole situation. But how can you have had abdominal surgery while pregnant? Forgive my ignorance :O

As to the scan, with me they really really poked me around. Especially because my left ovary is only 1/4 of the size of my right one. Its incredibly small and so great at playing hide and seek for any sonographer trying to catch a photo of it.
    I dont remember lying on my side as I remember looking straight upto the screen throughout the whole scan. But yes, if they start poking you, it will hurt and I agree with a PP, ask if there is a chance they can do this with a trans vaginal scan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Im sorry, Im not aware of your whole situation. But how can you have had abdominal surgery while pregnant? Forgive my ignorance :O
    It was a emergency surgery. My bowel got strangled an then perforated by my hernia.
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 11-12-2011 at 14:55. Reason: Fixing quote bracket