+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't say I do nor that I will she's an indoor cat for a reason cats can either be indoor or outdoor but if there indoor they don't Need some "fresh air" like dogs do cats enjoy lazing around being fat and sleeping indoor lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 2 are strictly indoor cats. We keep them inside for a few reasons; busy road, lots of wildlife, expensive cats. They are both avid hunters and will sit for hours watching a gecko on the window so I'd hate to see them outside with all the pretty native birds and lizards we get here my neighbours have 2 massive outdoor cats and they roam our yard all the time. I think it's wrong to let them roam- specially when they sleep on my outdoor furniture and leave their fur EVERYWHERE!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've only ever had one indoor car and I didn't take him on a harness - at the time I was living in a massive warehouse where he had HEAPS of room to run, a ladder to climb, lots of scratching poles etc.

Now I have an outdoor cat and she doesn't even let me hold her let alone put her on a leash hahaha. No point really, she gets heaps of exercise being the dangerous predator that she is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I'm not entirely sure those figures are correct. Do you have the source for that please?

In England most cats are outdoors. I had actually never heard of an indoor cat until I moved to Australia. And in England I believe the average lifespan for a cat is still around 12 years. Certainly that has been the case for the cats my family and friends have had, with some living to 20.

The only reason I could think for it being different in Australia would be more dogs being loose? But even then, England has way more traffic, which I would have thought would even out the risk factors.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    To be honest, I can't remember who told me those figures, possibly the vet when my former outdoor cat died. Either him or the breeder I bought my current cats from.

After Googling, I must apologise, they do seem incorrect. Apparently it's more like five years for an outdoor cat and 12-15 for an indoor cat.

The figure of three years always stuck with me I guess because both of my outdoor cats died the same year at three years old. The first died after a fight with another cat and his brother died six months later after being hit by a car. I never let them outside but my family did because they thought they "needed fresh air". Needless to say my Mum felt incredibly guilty when Jester got hit by a car because she was the one who let him out. (I didn't actually blame her but she blamed herself)

The two cats I have now have never been outside. The only truly safe way for them to be outside is in an outdoor run (we're hoping to build one at our next house) or on a lead. Yes, some outdoor cats might live to 20 years but I think you'd find that there would be a whole hell of a lot that die young because of the reasons you mentioned that's why the average life expectancy is a lot lower.

Sent from my Nokia 5110 using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    Just curious, why do people not let their cats outside? Is it because they hunt/run away?
    My cat is outside 24/7 but never hunts anything- she is afraid of willy wagtails. She also doesn't leave the yard.
    *No chance of them being killed by a car/evil cat-hater/etc
    *No chance of them killing wildlife
    *Less chance of fleas/ticks
    *No chance of fighting with other cats and catching diseases that way
    *No chance of bothering the neighbours
    *No chance of them going for a wander and getting lost (I had to rehome a kitten because of this - he's escape the house no matter what I did, and he'd go for LONG walks... to be found SUBURBS away... just playing with people in the park or whatever. We lived near a big main road... I was scared of him getting killed, so I rehomed him to a couple that lived away from main roads).

Most councils recommend confining your cat at night anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Don't vaccinations cover most/all cat diseases? My cat is an outdoor cat and she's always vaccinated and given the revolution treatment. I can't see how she'd possibly come in contact with any diseases any more than an outside dog.

I guess I'm pretty lucky mine stays in the yard. She does go out the front on the very rare occasion, but never even leaves the front yard. I'd rather have a happy outdoor cat with a shorter life expectancy than a miserable indoor cat (mine truly would be miserable as an indoor cat only).

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in the Ipswich area. They actually forbid leaving your cats outside to roam! If you have them outside, you must keep them on your property - ie cat run etc. Check out the council website - I was really surprised!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think some vaccinations are only about 80% effective (this is from when I vaccinated my cat)... I think that might be the feline AIDs one? Yep - google tells me 80-85% effective. So there's still a chance your cat can get AIDs from interacting (fighting, mostly) with another cat. I think it's just a positive to keeping them inside, rather than a real REASON to keep them in.

I think wildlife and for their own protection re: other cats/dogs/drivers/etc is more of a reason to keep them indoors.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Benji  (12-12-2011)

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hehehe. Now that we've mentioned vax, can we open a thread debating the pros and cons of vaccinating pets?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've had that thread before GFP, doesn't tend to go down well