+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    Just curious, why do people not let their cats outside? Is it because they hunt/run away?
    My cat is outside 24/7 but never hunts anything- she is afraid of willy wagtails. She also doesn't leave the yard.
    We have two cats...one is free to go in and out as she pleases, the other is strictly indoor. The reason is, the indoor cat cost us ALOT of money...more than I thought I would ever spend on a cat! He's a bit stupid too, so I doubt his chances of finding his way home or avoiding cars. Its got nothing to do with him harming wildlife or anything....just want to keep an eye on my pricey pu$$y Hahaha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I used to have an indoor cat who had a harness and lead. I didn't attempt to take the cat for walks - she hated it! It was more so I could take her outside and she could roam around... I'd just follow with the lead being slack... if I tried to guide her anywhere, she'd just lay on the ground and let herself be dragged along. lol.

Perhaps this lady is trying to get her cat used to it? Cats be jerks - maybe it's normally okay with the lead, but that day is was like, "no way in hell lady," and so just decided to stop and slack off. Cats can be like that.!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've always found cats to be territorial and to get nervous and skittish when leaving their marked territory. Sure, some cats roam on their own free will but I had a cat that I tried to take for a walk and she freaked and wouldn't walk/move. She got down into a submissive position and point blank refused to walk. She was fine in the yard, but approaching the boundaries she would become visibly petrified.

Maybe that has something to do with it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just curious, why do people not let their cats outside? Is it because they hunt/run away?
    My cat is outside 24/7 but never hunts anything- she is afraid of willy wagtails. She also doesn't leave the yard.
    *I've had many cats killed by cars.
    *Plus they hunt. DH is a park ranger, so cats killing wildlife is a bit of a no no!
    *The dog next door at our old house killed cats all the time (feral ones as we lived out of town) and we didn't want our cats to be one of the ones killed.
    *I used to work at a vet and the number of cats brought in hit by cars/mauled by dogs/with abscesses from cat fights/ with cat aids and leukaemia was really sad, and I'd like to spare our cats from that if possible.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsBeee For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (11-12-2011)

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We used to live on a busy (at home rush hour) road. The lady next door had already lost a few cats due to people trying to save waiting for a light by cutting the main road corner. I didn't want to lose my cat the same way.

Since we moved I've kept up the same deal. There is a nasty boss cat that comes into our yard at time and has a go at all cats within 8 houses of its house. It is big and scary and would take down my cat in seconds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    That would have been absolutely hysterical to see hahaha.
    I would've thought it was funny if I didn't think she was being mean. She didn't see me in the park, but every time a car drove past, she would wait for it to go past before pulling the cat again, which makes me think she was being a bit mean.

I saw something strange the other day driving home from...an old man walking up the street. He had two sheep with him. I had to look twice when driving past to make sure he was really out walking with sheep, but it wasn't so funny when I saw the sheep had blue rope tied to two legs, one front and the opposite back one.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 11-12-2011 at 20:55.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also keep in mind eating baited meat {yes, plenty of people bait meat with rat poison and throw it over fences...geelong has had a big run of it lately}, picking up ticks, picking up fleas, hunting, being killed by a stray animal, fighting with other cats, being stolen, shot {yes, seen my fair share of that too}, run over...it goes on.

Our cat is not allowed outside except on her harness and leash. She was trained from a very young age to like the leash and she'll go fetch it and bring it to you when she's ready for a walk.

I don't understand why people buy a cat harness, put it on their cat, attach the leash and march off, dragging the cat behind them? Of course the cat isn't going to like it, neither do puppies at first go, but they learn to like it because it's safer for them to be on a leash.

We trained her by putting on the harness before she got fed. She didn't get groomed or played with unless she was wearing the harness. After two days when she saw me pick up the harness she'd yowl and rub against my legs. Then I attached the leash, and holding her full food bowl, walked a few steps while saying "Let's go!". She naturally followed, and then I put the bowl down.

We upped the length walked, and after about a month we were going for daily walks down the street, her trotting calmly beside me. I walk her to my girl's kinder to pick her up, and she loves it.

Besides, my cat is too precious to us to let outside. If a stranger saw this gorgeous bright red Maine Coon strutting along the street, she'd be stolen asap. Especially as she wouldn't struggle; she adores all people, dogs, cats, anyone and anything. She'd happily jump into the car if it meant a cheek scratch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Good point about dogs not liking leads the first time. My childhood dog was so cute as a puppy he acted as though he was tied to the floor if he had a collar on. He'd just lay down, or sit with his head stooped, looking woeful. But he goes used to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    The average lifespan of an outdoor cat is three years. The average lifespan of an indoor cat is twelve years. It's safer for them to be indoors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    The average lifespan of an outdoor cat is three years. The average lifespan of an indoor cat is twelve years. It's safer for them to be indoors.
    I'm not entirely sure those figures are correct. Do you have the source for that please?

In England most cats are outdoors. I had actually never heard of an indoor cat until I moved to Australia. And in England I believe the average lifespan for a cat is still around 12 years. Certainly that has been the case for the cats my family and friends have had, with some living to 20.

The only reason I could think for it being different in Australia would be more dogs being loose? But even then, England has way more traffic, which I would have thought would even out the risk factors.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub