+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I like to put a lot of thought into gift giving. I really enjoy it, probably more so than receiving gifts.

I have to agree with Louellyn regarding hampers - generic hampers are very *meh*, but I adore hampers which someone has made. I received a hamper from my work colleagues just before I went on maternity leave, and it was gorgeous. They bought the basket, and bought both practical and cutesy baby things and then covered it all with cellophane & ribbon. It was presented beautifully and I love how much thought and effort went into it.

One of the best presents I have EVER received was from an old school friend - she knew I liked herbal tea, and so she bought a gift box and filled it with a few different types of lipton herbal teas. It wasn't an expensive gift by any means, but the thought that went into it was priceless.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh this is the story of my life! Lol

I was a bit of a tomboy growing up, and each year the same aunt got me a giant make up pallette, like from the reject shop... Haha or a whole thing of dodgo nail polish...

Then for my 18th birthday i got given by my grandparents a mens polar fleece jumper with 'jackaroo' embroided on it *glares* in a size that was about 5 times too big... Wtf? I would prefer nothing than a gift that says "your not worth the thought at all"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree with your whole post!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to admit I am in the 'useless present-giver' category. It's not that I don't put thought into it. It's more that I put too much thought into it, panic , can't decide which is the best gift, panic again, run out of time and end up buying something crap. I'm pretty sure I get 'gift anxiety'. Sometimes I end up buying nothing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is part of why I hate that gifts are expected! It's so frustrating I dont want you to feel you should get me anything I want you to get me something because you're thinking of me and thought id like that

One year MIL got me a costume broach some cheap costume bangals and some soap. I'm not the type to wear a broach I much prefer understated and I'm allergic to cheap metal (I react with a rash) I also don't use soap as it dries my skin out and causes a few problems so it was pretty obvious shed just grabbed generic girl things and thought that will do.. The twins (her sisters) got matching bags so unsuited to them it was comedic..

I'm the type who prefers to put time and thought into gifts I buy, often money interferes but I do try. It's also why I hate that I feel I have to buy for everyone.. I don't know them how am I supposed to buy a decent gift for them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cindye View Post
    My DH talked MIL out of giving me a SNUGGIE(!) she had bought for my birthday last year. She has also given me a pandora bracelet, which I've never worn since I don't wear silver jewellery. She tries, but I wish she would just run ideas by DH before she wasted money on stuff that isn't going to be used.
    Lol my mum bought me a snuggie... And not even a brand name snuggie - a knock off snuggie

When mum was tight for funds I said just get me a tinted moisturizer sunscreen. (so like $15-20 type thing) she got me a 1lt tub of whatever sunscreen. Umm not quite what I had in mind.

Though all is forgiven, she bought us a BBQ this year like a whole BBQ and a gas bottle, gravel stuff that goes in it and a few packets of meat. <3

I've declined presents from mil because she says 'what would you like, but it can't be much because we can't afford anything and it's just hard to get by and... Etc... '.... It's such a heavy emotion laden sympathy grab I just say please don't buy me anything save your money. How on earth could I say I want anything if she's just thrown that on my shoulders.

But... Mostly.... Even ill-thought-out gifts, I get so few gifts that just unwrapping anything is exciting. Even if there's that awkward 'oh... Oh wow.. Oh thanks! Aww... That's great ' moment. Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks everyone! I'm so glad I'm not alone in this and that I got the opportunity to vent to people in the same boat.

Here's hoping that you all have a wonderful Christmas... snuggies, cheap costume jewellry, dodgy food hampers and all...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont get anything for Christmas. The joy of only having my parents in this country and they just give me 50 bucks in an envelope. Thats why I loved doing a secret santa with some single mums on Facebook. Ofcourse I couldn't think of anything for me, but DS got spoiled anyway.
    Its hard for people to know what I like or not. I have such a wide variety of interests, its not funny. I love music, but again, I have a huge variety of CD's from Eminem and Skitz mix to Pavarotti.
    Same with books and movies. So I cant blame my parents for just giving me 50 bucks instead of picking their brains trying to find something for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    gift anxiety gave me a giggle!! I must have that too. I over-think pressies wayyyy too much and often feel awkward giving ones that are too well-thought out (will the other person think I am a stalker?? oh dear).

I try to get gifts that are thoughtfull but sometimes I end up with the quickest, easiest option (failsafe bottle of wine and box of chocs). At least I try to remember whether the person likes red or white wine!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh no... I ordered my bro and Sil a gift hamper fir xmas :/ they're overseas though, and quite difficult to buy for- they keep moving so don't want extra possessions...

Anyway op I completely agree, completely agree! Nothing says I don't know you like a body shop gift pack! And my mil always buys me expensive perfumes that smell fowl... For ten years I've pretty much worn the same perfume...

And ugh the costume jewellery

For Xmas last yr the inlaws bought us a 700 odd dollar tv (it was a flat screen and our old one was a big old hunker, so well thought out and v generous)my mum(who would be just about as well off as inlaws financially) bought df a fire blanket and a first aid kit, I was so embarrassed.
    Last edited by bada; 11-12-2011 at 15:42.