+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Purees with other food to play with is a great idea.

BLW is a good concept, however it isn't suitable for all bubs so best to just try and see what suits your DS. It would never work for our DS as his fine motor control is really delayed, and he would never end up eating anything.

Like Tiggy said, a combo approach is great. You sound like you're doing a great job. It is daunting though at times, especially as it's a whole new world to a new mum.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (11-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great! Thank you Salsa. I'll mix it up then. I feel a lot more comfortable doing that because at least then I know he has actually eaten something. So excited to try this. Little man is going to love making a mess.. Me on the other hand, not so much! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Natty, try and get hold of the Baby Led Weaning book by Gil Rapley, it's brilliant, we did exactly what she recommends and as mentioned DS is a great eater and eats everything! With my research I found its better to get them used to different flavors early on ( herbs, chili, garlic, ginger , curry etc - just like they do in Asia) i find for some strange reason our western countries seem to start our kids on bland flavors and artificial cereals etc DS loves Thai, Chinese and Indian food, The herbs we use the most are coriander, basil, parsley and oregano and I use garlic and onion in everything! The best finger foods to start your DS on is steamed broccoli, leave the stem on so he can hold it, I steam it with ginger then splash either olive or flax seed oil on after, DS at 6 months used to just suck the tops and little bits of the flowerettes would come off, now he literally rips the heads off them!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (11-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome. Thank you sooooo much! Honestly ladies! I like this concept & I'm so happy to hear that it's safe to experiment with herbs, garlic etc. DH & have garlic, onions & tonnes of herbs in our food so I'd like to introduce it to little man. Do you use fresh herbs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes, we have a herb garden, DS is now at that age where I will say let's go get some basil and he is already at the back door with his gardening bucket! DH and I are also used to eating a variety of fresh food sand put garlic and herbs and chili in everything which is why BLW suited us , from literally 8-9 months old DS ate what we did ( with curries/Chinese etc I would take his portion out first before adding extra chili for us!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You've been a great help! Once again, thank you soooo much. Its so much easier this way. I can't believe I was so clueless to this! I would have been giving him purée until he's almost a year.
    First time mum here! Forgive me lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    How good is bubhub!

You learn so much (I've learnt so much in other areas from here too!!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's *WHEN* you get people replying to your thread. Doesn't happen much lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    We gave DS pretty much everything from 7 months ( we started BLW at 6 months and he spent the first month learning to chew mainly fruit and veg) the best food at 7 months ( and he still has today at 13 months) is an egg pancake ( 2 eggs mixed with whatever fresh herb I had and fried with no oil in a non stick small egg frypan) we cut it into strips so he could hold it, very nutritious and as the weeks went on I added other things like tomato, cheese, mushroom, spinach etc
    I also started him on rice cruskits with avocado, various homemade dips ( hummus, guacamole) with cucumber sticks as dippers , I made a ricotta and pea spagetti, homemade salmon nuggets, zuchini slice but by about 9 months he pretty much ate what we did!
    All fruit should is fine from 6 months, just a bit of advice though try and get him used to a wide variety of veggies too ( we aim for 5 veggies and 2 fruit a day) fruit is sweeter and they could eat it all day ! So we gave DS zuchini, carrot, eggplant, sweet potato, cauliflower , brocolli, capsicum, mushrooms, bok Choy, corn, peas and beans all the time so he is used to them, he is now 13 months and happily sits there munching on his veggies , as mentioned we did BLW so they have always been given to him whole, either steamed or baked , hope that helps!
    Sorry to hijack Natty but Elijah's mum how do you make the salmon nuggets??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummy2aandh View Post
    Sorry to hijack Natty but Elijah's mum how do you make the salmon nuggets??
    I usually put in whatever is at hand but normally:
    Grilled salmon flaked- usually half a fillet
    Cup cooked rice ( or quinoa)
    1/2 cup peas cooked
    Handful chopped herbs
    1/2 cup corn cooked
    Teaspoon chia seeds
    1 egg
    Rice crumbs
    I mix all the above together then roll into patties or nugget shapes and roll into more rice crumbs and then fry in a little olive oil until golden or you could bake, I usually get about 20, DS eats about 3 at a sitting so they are good to freeze