+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The new guidelines ( I think from 2009) are now that the theory of withholding possible allergenic foods like nuts, shellfish and eggs , which was brought in in the 1980,s actually has caused an increase in food allergies , so now it's recommended all food is fine after 6 months ( honey being the only exception) unless there are allergies in the family, all pediatricians and GP,s will be aware of this, as well as naturopaths and dietitians
    DS had macadamia, almond and peanut butters from 8 months, fish and shellfish from
    7 months and eggs at 6 months
    The only foods we don't give him
    Is any kind of processed meats ( ham, bacon, sausages etc ) or fast food or foods with additives

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (11-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    THank you so much for your replies ladies! I just spent 2 hours making different batches of foods so I can freeze them.
    I made pear & prunes
    Peach & apple
    Mango & blueberries
    Mango
    Zucchini & mushrooms
    Broccoli, carrot & potato
    Broccoli & pumpkin
    Beans, potato & pumpkin.
    I wanted to add herbs but I had no idea what to add. What was considered safe anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by naebie View Post
    I did BLW with my dd so I'm not much help except to say that when we started at 6 months she was eating just about any fruit or veg I would give her.
    Me too.

I would actually move away from purees and give more soft finger food. Chewing and using the tongue etc. are important motor skills useful in speech development. Purees don't develop those skills.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (11-12-2011)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Natty I did baby led weaning with dd1 from about 6months. It really involved giving her tastes of things off our plates, she loved being included and often it ws the only thing she would eat lol (she was seriously a nightmare to feed at the time). she used to gag a little which made me sooooo nervous but as long as everything was soft enough to chew but just hard enough to hold in her fist, she was fine. She loved brocolli, asparagus, green beans, pumpkin, zucchini... all those veggies that you can cut into chunky sticks and cook til they are soft. Soft fruits, strips of chicken, bread... i started with the obvious stuff.

the mess was awesome!!!!

From what i remember reading, babies don't really need much flavouring added. they have far more taste buds than an adult so they get max flavour out of plain food iukwim.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (11-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay so this is really confusing me as well. Should I've stopping the purées now? What would I give him? Do I do like a purée with chunks in it or do I give him things like carrot sticks? I bought him some rusks today. Do I just give him that at any time of the day? Can he choke on these things? I'm so freaking confused!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS' dietitian recommended starting eggs after 7 months, but I think that's based on studies that have been done. She said that anecdotally people give their kids eggs before that with no problem. She advised that when giving eggs for the first time (if there are any allergies), to use an electric beater and then bake it to really break down the protein.

And herbs are fine. Fairly soon, I just started giving DS a variation of what we were eating ie. I'd take out a portion for him and then add chillies etc that weren't suitable for him.

ETA.
    We're skimpy on tomato and broccoli in meals as it exacerbates DS' reflux.
    We started with purees, and are now on lumpy food. I just try to decrease the mushiness of the food, but DS gags quite a bit / vomits if I've gone too far.
    Last edited by RastaMouse; 11-12-2011 at 21:14.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (11-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've googled baby led weaning. Nobody has ever mentioned this to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Natty now that H is 81/2 months he generally eats what we eat. I basically mash most things to a fairly lumpy consistency and also give him finger foods. For eg tonight he had chicken and Veges mashed together but then on the side was strips of the chicken and Veges he could feed himself. I also found the mesh feeders fantastic to put all types of food in for him to get the taste for but were to hard for him to eat himself like uncooked apple and pears, grapes etc. Rusks are great for snacks and when they are teething and also little mini rice cakes. Anything that will soften when they have them in their mouth.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy2aandh For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (11-12-2011)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    natty you can do both! At the end of the day what matters is just that he is getting enough nourishment. Feed him some puree then give him finger food to play with.

Though I would give the carrot sticks a miss, and other rigid foods (like apples and celery for example). I started with broc and zucchini cos when cooked they are firm enough to grip but soft enough to chew easily. Or add mashed lumps into the puree. Whatever you feel comfortable with. DD2 gripped the stalk of the broc and ate the flowers. Asparagus was another good one.

Pick something really easy-peasey to start with. maybe mashed banana or pumpkin. Just so you get a feel for how he manages little lumps. Then maybe pick something soft off your plate and let him play with it. he will probably squish it to bits in his hands and try to put it in his mouth.

Once you get a feel for it all, you can start expanding the menu. I would say the only rule is keep it soft for now until you get a feel. I used rusks tho cos really they don't break, they are very tough and you have to wet and scrape them to break them down (try it lol, they are :laughing)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (11-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have continued to feed him purées for a long long time. I like this whole baby led weaning. I just you tubed it as well. Little man always tries to grab my food and I never let him. I'm going to start tomorrow morning. I'll feed him the purées then give him something to play with.