+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me I'm not a mean mummy :(

On Monday my son (13months) and I arrived home from a 3week overseas trip. Prior to this he would go to sleep about 7.00pm, with a bottle in his cot and fall asleep on his own.

While we were away, we had a very hectic 3 weeks and lots of late nights. Allowed him to sleep whenever he wanted but he was definitely lacking sleep every day.

I know his whole world has been turned upside down and back again, 3 weeks without his daddy, 3 weeks with no routine, away from home etc ....

I've settled him in his bed now, he's had his milk and is happy to lay there and keeps closing his eyes, cuddling his teddy bear .... until I leave his side. Now he's standing up, at the end of the cot, crying for me. I know he's seeking attention as he stops every now and again (listening for me) ...

I'm 6 months pregnant, home on my own (hubby at work til after midnight) and I'm tired. I don't want to stand by his cot til he falls asleep every single night. I can't pull him out of the cot and rock him, as he thinks it's then play time ......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Can you give him a week or so to adjust back to a 'normal' routine and bring him into your bed to sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Or set up some pillows on the floor and sit on the floor beside the bed and hold his hand or something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh! And your NOT a mean mummy!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been overseas twice with my DS (18 months) and it takes him a while to get over the jetlag and back to the normal routine.. I'd say at least a week! I don't think it's fair to expect him to get back to "normal" straight away, especially when you've been away for a long time and had no routine at all.
    I'd have him in your bed as well, saves you standing up or rocking him, but helps him to get to sleep and eventually get back to the normal routine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The pillows on the floor (or comfy chair?) sounds like a great idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not a mean mummy maybe give him some time to adjust again and work towards a more normal routine. He is still young he needs time to readjust

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My daughter is 5 and she takes at least a week to get back to a half normal routine each time we get back from being overseas so give your bubs a bit of time

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks ladies ... husband seems to think he should be back to 'normal' by now .. but I know it's such a lot for someone so young to get their head around.

Have just cuddled him to sleep in my bed .. will leave him there for a bit and transfer him to his own cot.

I guess we don't realise how lucky we were before the trip with him in such a perfect routine and we do need to allow some time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Husband is an adult we adjust quickly, toddlers take a few weeks there is plenty of reading to support this maybe suggest he have a look so he can better offer support? If ds feels he is in trouble or something is wrong with him it may take longer

Sorry that sounds really judgemental and bishy. Not intended that way, I know with my dp I have a few conversations about what is 'normal' that we disagree on and sometimes pulling out the papers helps him to understand and relax which ultimately helps the situation
    Last edited by mummykitty; 10-12-2011 at 23:41.