+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me all about Montessori

Oh wow, the schools you are looking at sound amazing. I wish we had something like that near us for my DS.
    My girls are fine with the structure of their Uniting Church Private school but my DS is more of a lively, free spirited child like his father and would benefit greatly from the more self direction.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (15-11-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    The fees for 3 year ( stage 1 which is 3-6 years) old mon-fri 9am-12pm for 5 days a week is $1800 per term x 4 ( 4.5-6years its 9-3pm same price) so not cheap but worth it!

We started Montessori toddler "pre school" a month ago just Friday mornings 9-11am and its like the 3 year old stage 1 but the parents stay either in the room or in the little room next to their room with a glass door so they can see you!
    Yeah it is exey but worth it (obviously I think that otherwise there is no way I would contemplate it!). Ours is $2020 per term for stage 1 (9am-12pm) and higher if you pay fortnightly, so it's roughly $8000 per year. I was just curious to compare it to other Montessori schools. I think they are generally around that price from what I have heard.

DH is still concerned about the fees and is worried we won't be able to have any more children now haha.

Waterlily - I think my DS will benefit for the same reasons. He's very switched on and I do worry that he will be the 'naughty' child in class in a main****** school. He's also pretty independent and I believe he will enjoy picking his own work to complete. I have always thought Montessori or Steiner would benefit him as an individual.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    That's why I liked the Montessori way as they believe if the child finishes her work she should go straight on to the next level and not have to wait until the next year ( if that makes sense!) and same with the child that needs extra help, she won't be held back , she will keep doing her work until she understands it completely before moving on , it's all worked out around each child's ability

they have 3 levels - ages 3-6 (stage 1) ages 6-9 ( stage 2) and ages 9-12 ( stage 3)
    I love that the learning aides (I think they used the term 'Learning Enrichment') come to the students who are struggling and sit with them, instead of segregating students and making a deal out of the fact that some students are learning at a different pace. In my primary school, our classroom was grouped by maths ability - students were divided in the classroom in groups of tables. I always struggled with Maths but excelled at English etc, however I had to sit at a table with the other students who struggled with maths, every day, because it was easier for the teacher that way. I remember it was pretty humiliating. The One-Size-Fits-All approach to curriculum just doesn't make sense.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Tell me all about Montessori

Out of interest whats the cost of an average public school term in comparison?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    Out of interest whats the cost of an average public school term in comparison?

Isn't public school free? Except for uniforms & stationary of course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I'm pretty sure a friend of mine said hers are about $700 a year but not sure what is included in that price.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Tell me all about Montessori

Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Isn't public school free? Except for uniforms & stationary of course.
    not sure. Im think there are some sort of fees on top of uniform and stationary etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    No there aren't fees to attend a typical public school. It's funded by tax.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Eeek, that is expensive. Ours are about half of that.

Do you get a discount for additional children?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Eeek, that is expensive. Ours are about half of that.

Do you get a discount for additional children?
    I know :-/ So expensive. Plus there is a non-refundable application fee...what is that for?!

The discount for additional children is only $100 haha.

We have looked into Steiner here as well but we weren't very impressed. Your school sounds awesome.