+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Double post...All of my spaces and lines disappeared?
    Last edited by Witwicky; 14-11-2012 at 22:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We toured the school today...

...and it was amazing.

It is such a lovely school, set on 10 hectares of land in a nature reserve. The curriculum is approved Montessori, which was evident during the observations. It was so nice watching the students going about their work, helping themselves to snacks when they felt hungry and being gently guided by the teachers if needed. They seemed very independent, which is something we are seeking with this type of education. Everything is at their height and they use Montessori equipment to learn (the guide spoke a lot about tactile learning, especially with maths).

One of the students in the older stages showed us her weekly/monthly goal sheet, where she chose what she wanted to study and the goals she wanted to achieve, which she chose herself. I especially love that the children aren't segregated if they have trouble learning something, they are not forced to learn things before they are ready and they are not interrupted during the learning blocks to move onto other tasks. Those are things which used to bother me when I was in primary school.

Oh and I particularly love that they encourage tree climbing at the school They also care for several animals and do heaps of gardening. The older kids also run a 'business' where they sell eggs from their chicken coup (this month they donated the money to UNICEF).

I checked and there is no homework either, something which i'm against, so i'm pleased with that. Oh and ElijahsMum - they don't have a uniform, the children were just wearing regular clothes.

DH loved it too, except he is slightly concerned with the fees...which is understandable

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Tell me all about Montessori

So glad you loved it!
    I also loved the snack anytime thing and all the classrooms at the one I went to had a kitchen and bathroom in each room !
    My DS is starting next October when he will be 3 so keep me up to date when your little man starts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    naw that sounds so amazing. i would LOVE to be able to afford to send my kids to a montessori school <3

As per your question abotu breastfeeding, I would say if that is true its probably because Montessori encourage children to be their own individual person and to be able to help them selves to food and drink as they please. So might be that?

I try this sort of thing at home. The kids get themselves drinks and snack as they please. They are encouraged to choose their clothes and get themselves dressed and all that.

Its such a great idea, when I first had DS1 I looked into it and recieved negative reveiws from EXDP's family because EX and his sister went to one for a while but obvioulsy it wasnt for them. So they see it as its horrible because kids dont have structure. Lol you would think to look into it better if thats what you want/need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    So glad you loved it!
    I also loved the snack anytime thing and all the classrooms at the one I went to had a kitchen and bathroom in each room !
    My DS is starting next October when he will be 3 so keep me up to date when your little man starts
    Yep these ones all had a kitchen and bathroom too (and the kitchen was like a miniature kitchen in the stage 1 room, so that the kids can wash their own plate up afterwards...it was really cute). They don't need to ask permission to use the bathroom or anything, they just go when they need to go. I just hope that he won't have any issues transitioning to high school with that sort of thing. I have this picture in my head of the movie 'Mean Girls' where she gets up and walks out of the room to go to the toilet and the teacher says "Where are you going?"

DS will be starting early next year, so I will keep you updated...very exciting

Just out of curiosity, how much are the fees at Sydney Montessori?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    naw that sounds so amazing. i would LOVE to be able to afford to send my kids to a montessori school <3

As per your question abotu breastfeeding, I would say if that is true its probably because Montessori encourage children to be their own individual person and to be able to help them selves to food and drink as they please. So might be that?

I try this sort of thing at home. The kids get themselves drinks and snack as they please. They are encouraged to choose their clothes and get themselves dressed and all that.

Its such a great idea, when I first had DS1 I looked into it and recieved negative reveiws from EXDP's family because EX and his sister went to one for a while but obvioulsy it wasnt for them. So they see it as its horrible because kids dont have structure. Lol you would think to look into it better if thats what you want/need.
    I used to have concerns about the structure, but I was pretty ignorant of the method at the time and it makes much more sense now that I have learnt more about it. One of my concerns was that my son might not like a certain subject (i.e.: maths, like his mother ha!) and consequently never choose to do maths in class...and finish primary school without ever doing maths...but it doesn't work like that.

I have always placed my kids utensils etc at their level too (they have their own lower cupboard in the kitchen). DS loves grabbing his things out of his cupboard and they both help to put their items away from the dishwasher

I think that might be the case with the breastfeeding. I'm no longer breastfeeding, so I didn't speak with the tour person about it. However, they seem very AP friendly from what I saw today...it seems that the philosophy works well at ensuring that children's emotional needs are met and they certainly don't ostracise children in any situation. Gentle discipline is used, it's all child focused and the child is trusted to lead. I suppose at that age though, if a child is breastfed they are really choosing when to feed anyway, so it seems just as independent if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    maybe it has something to do with they couldnt ask for 'mums boob' any minute of the day. Mum might be busy and cant come and the child might become distressed??? Thats my thinking though. But I never needed to know.

I really love the idea of sending my kids there, if they are anything like me they wont want to sit at tables and listen to a teacher. I like to be independant and learn on my own at my own pass.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing due to interest. I did 'self-directed learning' at circus school, and it sounds similar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

The fees for 3 year ( stage 1 which is 3-6 years) old mon-fri 9am-12pm for 5 days a week is $1800 per term x 4 ( 4.5-6years its 9-3pm same price) so not cheap but worth it!

We started Montessori toddler "pre school" a month ago just Friday mornings 9-11am and its like the 3 year old stage 1 but the parents stay either in the room or in the little room next to their room with a glass door so they can see you!

Thanks
    Reviews

Gosh I wish we had a school here

Our only options are public or religious private school. We do not want DD going to a religious school.

DD is very smart and when she is bored she is rather "naughty" so I'm scared she will get bored a lot due to not enough stimulation and be seen as the naughty child.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    Gosh I wish we had a school here

Our only options are public or religious private school. We do not want DD going to a religious school.

DD is very smart and when she is bored she is rather "naughty" so I'm scared she will get bored a lot due to not enough stimulation and be seen as the naughty child.
    That's why I liked the Montessori way as they believe if the child finishes her work she should go straight on to the next level and not have to wait until the next year ( if that makes sense!) and same with the child that needs extra help, she won't be held back , she will keep doing her work until she understands it completely before moving on , it's all worked out around each child's ability

they have 3 levels - ages 3-6 (stage 1) ages 6-9 ( stage 2) and ages 9-12 ( stage 3)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast