+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Applying for JET childcare and PES?

Does anyone know how to go about this? Is there a form i can pick up or is it one of those annoying things you have to do over the phone?

Also my friend told me a while back about a payment you can get when you start studying. I think it was around $200. Does this still exist? Does anyone know what its called?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You might be able to lodge an application (or at least get the form) online, but your best bet would be to go into a Centrelink office with proof of your study (enrollment confirmation, course details etc) and do it that way, as from what I can remember you have to enter into an agreement thing. There is also criteria- you have to be studying a certain number of hours per week in order to receive the payment (can't remember if that applied for JET as well though).

When I received mine, there was an initial start up payment (can't remember how much though). But that was in 2008 so it may have changed. And the JET payment ended on the date my course finished.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (10-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went into C/L with my enrolment form and just filled out the forms on the spot. PES is $32.00? for part time study and about $62 for full time. My course was 3 days a week and assessed as being full time. The start up payment was just over $200 and I received it after the first 2 weeks of my course.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HELPihavea2yrold! For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (11-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    So if my course doesn't start until FEB could i still go into Centrelink and get it all sorted now or would i have to wait closer to the course start date?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Harvest moon, im not too sure. However if you have proof on enrollment, the classes you are taking, student number all that kind of stuff then I guess yeah you can try to hand in the forms before starting. However for me, I couldn't do all the paper work till I actually started and they back paid me. Just know JET takes a few weeks for it to kick in, however it will get back paid into credit with your daycare fees. If that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also JET doesnt cover session breaks so make sure you budget for those if you are keeping your child in care over the breaks!! It might mean the difference between you having to pick up a summer subject or not so plan ahead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi HarvestMoon, I'm Marian, I work at the Department of Human Services in a team responding to enquiries about Centrelink on social media sites like this one.

There's a really handy factsheet about JET child care fee assistance on the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations website (factsheet 12): http://www.deewr.gov.au/EarlyChildhood/Resources/Pages/CCfactsheetkit.aspx

The Pensioner Education Supplement (PES) helps you with the costs of full-time or part-time study. You can print the claim form from the Centrelink website here: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/forms/sy004.htm, or you can call 13 2490 to claim over the phone. There's more info about eligibility and claiming here: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/pes.htm

You should submit your claim for Pensioner Education Supplement as soon as possible, so if eligible, you can be paid from the earliest possible date. You can register an intent to claim before your course starts on the Centrelink website here http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/factors/intent_claim.htm.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by designertaste View Post
    Harvest moon, im not too sure. However if you have proof on enrollment, the classes you are taking, student number all that kind of stuff then I guess yeah you can try to hand in the forms before starting. However for me, I couldn't do all the paper work till I actually started and they back paid me. Just know JET takes a few weeks for it to kick in, however it will get back paid into credit with your daycare fees. If that makes sense.
    yes they do.. I've been doing a 2 year part time post grad and they covered christmas holidays and all the other uni holidays so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by murrythecat View Post
    yes they do.. I've been doing a 2 year part time post grad and they covered christmas holidays and all the other uni holidays so far.
    Interesting because they won't cover my uni session break even though I will be continuing the same course next year. Third session is not mandatory and there were no subjects I could pick up as third session is all pre-requisite and this was my first year. I asked numerous times and the answer was always no, only covers in session. Left me in a rock and hard place situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by murrythecat View Post
    Yeap, I've always had mine covered too. although mine was TAFE, not uni.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app