+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 5 unsucessful clomid cycles.now what??

I am 32,turning 33 soon.i hv been diagnosed with PCOS, and having irregular cycles.i just finished my 5th cycle of clomid and still no BFP.i m frustrated and dissapointed.know IVF is costly but is tht the only hope thats left?? has anybody gone through this?? thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I was in the same boat as you, we tried 8 cycles of clomid with no success. We did end up going to a fertility clinic and had 3 treatments of IUI and on our third attempt fell pregnant and now have a beautiful 4 month old baby boy. The IUI procedure was a less expensive option, you still need to do the injections and monitoring but it was successful for us. Have a chat to your doctor and see how many clomid cycles you can do before the next step.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks so much for your reply. i didnt know about IUI.all i knew was IVF. I will defineatly talk to my gyno. are u from melbourne? which clinic did you go to? how much it did cost you?sorry for asking all these questions. we are new to this country and hv no clue wt so ever.
    cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi Niwanthi

I conceived my first child on Clomid, but now we're trying for a 2nd and the Clomid hasn't worked.

I've just started a cycle of FSH injections, but without IUI. IUI is intra-uterine insemination, and basically involves injecting the swimmers to the right place at the right time!

The FSH injections are what stimulates ovulation - kind of like the Clomid, but it's much more powerful.

You inject yourself in the belly every day (which sounds awful, but isn't too bad, as you have a pen that makes it easy for you), and then go to your obstetrician for a scan to see how your follicles (basically, eggs) are developing. If they're going well then they will give you a 'trigger' injection to release the eggs.

If you are having IUI they will then insert the swimmers at the opportune moment... If you're not having it, then you obstetrician will tell you to go home and procreate!

Side effects are the usual hormonal ones, plus tiredness. There is a higher risk of multiple pregnancies with the injections (1 in 5), but if the scan shows too many eggs are developing then they will cancel the cycle (so they won't do the IUI, or else you are told not to DTD) to minimise the risk of a multiple pregnancy.

Hope that answers some of your questions. There are a few things they can try before IVF. Hope all goes well for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I'm from Sydney. Each month of IUI treatments cost $1300, we did get a little bit of money back from Medicare. It is just like explained above, injections for around 10 day prior to ovulation, bloods and ultrasound monitoring to see how your egg is growing. Once good to go, a trigger injection and the back to the clinic the next day for the sperm insemination, then blood test two weeks after to see your results. If it is something that you would consider, ask for a referral to a fertility clinic and discuss your options. We had a lot of tests done when we first went to the fertility clinic and IUI was the best option for us.