+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic Puffin View Post
    To still qualify, you need to work like 1 day a week or something small like that...

If you want to quit so badly, why don't you just go and get a job in a coffee shop to free up your time, and you will be out of there.

You will then have heaps of free time to prepare for bubs and it sounds like that would be a much less stressful option.
    Oh I wish I could!! Problem is that my partner only works part time and we still have rent and bills to pay. We are barely scraping by at the moment so there's no way I could afford not to have a fulltime income. Plus my employer gives 12 weeks paid maternity leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    AP I had a similar situation when pregnant, although I'd done nothing wrong - they all of a sudden decided to overload me with too much work the second they found out I was pregnant. They wanted me out.

I tried to look for other work, but the second employers heard/saw I was pregnant they wanted nothing to do with me.

Your union will help you if there is something illegal going on OP
    Wow that's awful. I can't believe how many places do this kind of thing! It's such a horrible, stressful thing to deal with. I haven't even been able to get any help from the union since work only gave me a couple of days notice and the union has been swamped with another company's employees.

Meeting is in 2 hours, i just hope i survive, I really don't want to cry but I know I will

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good luck I hope it isn't too bad. Stay strong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    AP I had a similar situation when pregnant, although I'd done nothing wrong - they all of a sudden decided to overload me with too much work the second they found out I was pregnant. They wanted me out.

I tried to look for other work, but the second employers heard/saw I was pregnant they wanted nothing to do with me.

Your union will help you if there is something illegal going on OP
    Really...?

Even just a cafe/Christmas/New Year retail position...?

I have applied for a few jobs lately, and was offered 3 positions, while they knew full well I am pregnant and expecting in March.

I guess it kind of depends what sort of position you think you could handle. Obviously if you applied for a job where they wanted someone long term, then your chances aren't very good.

But I do get where you are coming from Benji.... I also know living in different cities there are different opportunities etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by miss87 View Post
    Oh I wish I could!! Problem is that my partner only works part time and we still have rent and bills to pay. We are barely scraping by at the moment so there's no way I could afford not to have a fulltime income. Plus my employer gives 12 weeks paid maternity leave.

Meeting is in 2 hours, i just hope i survive, I really don't want to cry but I know I will
    It does sound to me like they are trying to cut you out of the company to get out of paying maternity leave.....

Just keep your head up hun, put on a brave face, and face the music!! Just go in there and state your case, and hope for the best.

Make sure to let us know how it all goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you delay till a union rep is available? Even if they do terminate your employment if you think it is unjust take it to your union they can and will help there in a few ways

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your support all. I still have a job. I got a written warning, they said I breached THREE company policies and that I should have spoken to my manager if I needed more breaks. I think I am lucky to still have a job, I will be on my best behaviour for the next few months, then maternity leave!!
    I spoke to the union at the very last minute, and they told me not to mention pregnancy in case work thought I was using it against them and trying to manipulate them. I tried in the meeting but I hate lying and I just didn't know what to say so I told them the truth and I am glad I did.
    Also - I didn't cry!! Woohoo!! I came close, I got tears and sniffly but no bawling lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohhh good! So glad it worked out.
    Just focus as much as you can, only a few months to go.