+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks AB, that was sorta what I needed when I posted. Now I regret posting in the first place, just made me feel worse.
    My partner thinks that's what they are doing too. Someone was fired a few months ago, just before his wife was due to deliver. He was feeling the same way I am right now, like they were picking on him and watching over his shoulder just to pick up on anything they possibly could.
    I'm not feeling very strong right now, I wish I could stand up and not let them get me down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is there a precedent of them firing and causing issues for expectant parents? That may help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh hun that sounds awful! I'm 25 weeks pregnant and I struggle getting through my day as a SAHM mum when I can take the time out to rest (as much as you can with a 3 year old jumping on top of you) when I need it. A few minutes between calls is nothing, I don't blame you! Can you get to a GP before the meeting, and ask for a medical certificate stating that you need those few minutes to stretch/walk/take time out to have a drink of water or something. When I worked full time in an office when I was pregnant with DD I had to take a few minutes every now and then to get up and move around because my back ached and I was so stiff, I'm sure any GP would be happy to back you up. That way they shouldn't have a case, and if you really want you can try and stick it out until your maternity leave.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inertia For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (10-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope the union can help you out. My only advice is to be as vigilant as you can, and just remember it's not for ever, soon you will be out of there. It's illegal to fire someone for being pregnant, but it doesn't mean they won't find another excuse. Believe me, I know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia View Post
    Oh hun that sounds awful! I'm 25 weeks pregnant and I struggle getting through my day as a SAHM mum when I can take the time out to rest (as much as you can with a 3 year old jumping on top of you) when I need it. A few minutes between calls is nothing, I don't blame you! Can you get to a GP before the meeting, and ask for a medical certificate stating that you need those few minutes to stretch/walk/take time out to have a drink of water or something. When I worked full time in an office when I was pregnant with DD I had to take a few minutes every now and then to get up and move around because my back ached and I was so stiff, I'm sure any GP would be happy to back you up. That way they shouldn't have a case, and if you really want you can try and stick it out until your maternity leave.
    That's great advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummykitty View Post
    Is there a precedent of them firing and causing issues for expectant parents? That may help
    I only know of the one a few months ago, but then again they make you sign ridiculous confidentiality things every time you have a meeting, so nobody is allowed to discuss what goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by inertia View Post
    Can you get to a GP before the meeting, and ask for a medical certificate stating that you need those few minutes to stretch/walk/take time out to have a drink of water or something.
    That's really good advice, thank you. I don't know if I will have time before the meeting (it's on Monday and I work tonight and tomorrow), but maybe it will help if I tell them my doctor is happy to provide a letter advising of such.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Just remember it's not for ever, soon you will be out of there.
    You are so right. I've put up with this for 5.5 years, I can do another 3.5 months! I am just being super perfect, not doing anything wrong just in case they are still watching me.
    Last edited by Alphabetsoup; 10-12-2011 at 20:17. Reason: Fix quotes

Thanks
    Reviews
    5.5 years? And all of a sudden you're not performing? May I ask, had you been pulled up on your performance prior to telling them you were pregnant?

Thanks
    Reviews
    5.5 years? And all of a sudden you're not performing? May I ask, had you been pulled up on your performance prior to telling them you were pregnant?
    That's a very good point

Also re dr can you call out a locum for them to write a note?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Only once, about a year ago, for something totally unrelated. Other than that, nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by mummykitty View Post
    That's a very good point

Also re dr can you call out a locum for them to write a note?
    Um ... What's a locum? Never heard of it lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Locum is a gp dr who does out if hours at home visits covered by Medicare too