+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please help, confused about DHEA

Heya everyone

Last week I had some tests done to find out about Iodine, Growth Hormones and DHEA.
    I recieved a letter in the mail today from FS saying she tried calling me on the 7th (had no idea, was at work that day and didnt have any messages!)
    Anyway, basically she just wanted to say that my Iodine was normal but my DHEA was 'a little low', and enclosed in the letter was a script for DHEA 25mg.

I know that DHEA is to do with egg quality, but everywhere I read it only really says it affects 'older' women....I am only 22!!!
    How could I have this? Just seems like one thing after the other...

I will have to get the script filled on Monday as I need to get it from a compounding chemist..but in the mean time could anyone whos tried this drug give me some info on it?
    How long will it take work? What are the side effects?
    It's so expensive, I hope it does it's job! I'm meant to be starting another IVF cycle in January but looks like I may have to wait a little longer if it takes awhile for this drug to take effect....think I will also try to make an appointment with FS to find out more about this, a very short letter and script doesn't give me much to work with

Anyways thank u all in advance for any help on this

Baby dust to all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey lovely,

Don't stress! So many women are on this including me - I'm 27!

Do some googling and learn about it before you go buying it, that way you will understand what it's all about.

Basically its a male hormone that women make naturally but tends to slow down in our bodies at 25 ish. It's supposed to help with quality and quantity. There are heaps if threads on it in bh so check it out.

I've been on it since october and feel the effects every so often that being oily skin, a few pimples, and lately washing my hair every second day... There are more side effects but it affects everyone differently. And yes generally 3 months is the norm to be on it, but isn't a regulated thing. My fs said I can cycle whenever I want.

But don't stress you have Been given a very low dose do may not get any side effects! The standard script is 75mg and you have 25 so you *should* be ok.

Lots of ladies have had amazing results from it!

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and it takes a few days to a week for them to make it up! I made the mistake thinking it would be instant! Haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank u for your reply Jessesgirl, I feel much more relieved already Especially since you said I'm on a lower dose than what's the norm...
    I made the mistake of thinking it would be instant as well Went to the chemist yesterday, waited around for nearly half an hour only for them to tell me that I have drive over an hour from where I live to a compounding chemist and it won't be ready till after Monday
    Do you know how long it usually takes for it to start working?
    I'll have look through BH tonight and do some research
    Thank you again
    Best of luck to you xoxox

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey lovely!

No probs! Always here to help! I started feeling the effects of oily skin about 3 weeks in and then nothing, this week I've had an oil slick on my face! Bad! Always have to blot my face prob 3 times a day! Not good when I've just started a new job at a bank!!! Haha.

I think I've spoken to you before in the oct thread? A miscarriage?

My fs said its best to wait 3 months but it's not concrete if u get what I mean- some girls have only been in it 8 weeks and had good results. Dh and I decided since its alot if money we want to do it right and wait the 12 weeks...

Good your fs tested you! And has got into it quick!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup I think I spoke to you a lil while back, first ICSI cycle and lost bub early on

Ugh, the oily skin does not sound pleasant! But it will be worth it The things we do hey?

I think we will probably end up waiting till Feb now, was going to go for it Jan but since I won't start this medication till next week it's prob best to give it at least a month to start working....We would wait three months but DP goes away for army early next year and I don't really want to cycle without him.

My FS is amazing, she seems to be covering all bases really quickly so I'm very I found her I also heard that there are a lot of FS's that won't prescribe DHEA? I wonder why that is Guess we are lucky in a way that ours will!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth!

One good side effect is increased energy. I certainly noticed the difference - it almost makes up for the pimples .

Also, if you have private health you might be able to get some back if you have cover for non PBS medications.

One last thing, does your script say 3 x 25mg tablets a day? That's what most people who use it seem to be on.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Gizmo!
    Thanks so much for that info about private health, I had no idea, and I think you may have just saved me quiet a bit of money
    Increased energy sounds good to me! What dosage are you on? (if you want to say!)
    I also heard that DHEA can help aid weight loss, do you think this is true?
    Just saying, losing a few kgs after my last two cycles would be a bit of a bonus

My script only says DHEA 25mg, there is some other stuff scribbled on there (can't make it out lol) but I don't think it says 3 X anywhere.
    Perhaps I am on a low dose because of my age? FS did say that the levels were only 'a little bit' low...so who knows, guess I will find out when I pick it up!

Good luck on your journey, I hope a sibling for your DS arrives soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm on 3 x 25mgs a day. I have heard that about the weight loss, but I haven't found that. I found the increase in energy started a week or so after I started DHEA as well, so you won't have to wait long for that at least!

Thanks for the good luck wishes. Have another ET on Monday so .