+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samantha81 View Post
    Thanks triple time! the doctor did mention not to put them in bm or formula.
    Milk & formula create acid which is what the losec stops. So serving losec in milk defeats the purpose.

Milk has a pH level of 6.7, only just lower than water (pH7) but enough to cause a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wonder how milk causes the losec not to work? Losec is a proton pump inhibitor which means it stops the cells in the stomach from pumping out acid (which the cells usually do to aid digestion). So the ph of milk in itself won't do anything to the losec. Maybe the milk just coats the stomach so the losec doesn't reach the cells as effectively.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I wonder how milk causes the losec not to work? Losec is a proton pump inhibitor which means it stops the cells in the stomach from pumping out acid (which the cells usually do to aid digestion). So the ph of milk in itself won't do anything to the losec. Maybe the milk just coats the stomach so the losec doesn't reach the cells as effectively.
    No idea, might create more acid than the losec can stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    The granules are coated in an enteric coat, which only breaks down when the pH is high (ie in the intestine), rather than when it is low in the stomach. A low pH will break down the losec, hence why it is enteric coated, so it is absorbed in the intestine rather than the stomach. Not sure what the problem is with the milk though???
    Interestingly though, once the Losec is working well, the pH in the stomach will be high enough for the enteric coat to be broken down in the stomach (because the losec is inhibiting the acid production). In an adult this is usually after only about 3 days of taking it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS actually got a script for Losec capsules, but it had a different name and cant remember as it was such a long time ago. I took that script to the pharmacy where they would make a solution out of those capsules. Basically just by opening the capsules and putting it into water and then in a glass bottle. I had to keep it in the fridge and ofcourse shake well before use. It could be kept upto 28 days in the fridge and then I had to get a new script.

I couldn't dissolve the tablets. It was a pain. Tried it with expressed breastmilk, water, milk, etc. He didn't want to take it, because he didn't like the feel of the pallets. That is why that solution was the best.

Note this is NOT the official Losec syrup that costs a sweet fortune. This is the cheaper alternative. Its not sweet like the Losec syrup.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A losec suspension wont be as affective as a whole tablet. The granules need to bw whole for it to be effective, not polished out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No Im not talking about tablets in a solution. Im talking about capsule with Omeprazol powder in them. Though tts not called Losec, I just cant think of the name anymore. They are capsules and they can be opened and dissolved in water. Will ask the pead next time I see him. I have the worst memory ever at the moment