+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is there a difference between brand form or generic form of Losec tablet?

So as the question asks..is there a difference as to whether you get losec tab in the actual brand name or generic? i've got the generic one, have to break it in half,dissolve in water and give it to DD. From other posts I've read ..people have suggested dissolving the whole tab in water and also there are granules. I havnt really noticed any granules in the generic form so was wondering if anyones used the generic one ?? otherwise am thinking of just getting another script to get the brand name one.
    (why do medications have to come in brand name and generic...so confusing !!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    there is no difference to the drug between the two. it is confusing isn't it? My DH gets really confused, but since I'm a nurse i forget it can be confusing. really the generic is just like buying the coles brand, and the "brand name" version is known as is. e.g. panadol is actually paracetamol, so a cheaper generic version of that would be the chemist brand or parahexal. no difference with the drug

3. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

samantha81  (09-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope, just the name is different. The active ingredient is exactly the same

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonGecko For This Useful Post:

samantha81  (09-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moongazer View Post
    there is no difference to the drug between the two. it is confusing isn't it? My DH gets really confused, but since I'm a nurse i forget it can be confusing. really the generic is just like buying the coles brand, and the "brand name" version is known as is. e.g. panadol is actually paracetamol, so a cheaper generic version of that would be the chemist brand or parahexal. no difference with the drug
    Thanks Moongazer!! I've almost always bought generic as phrmacist always asure that there isnt any difference with the brand name. But DH was abit angry that I didnt get the origional and maybe thats why we couldnt dissolve the tablet properly . But thanks for putting my mind at ease !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes there is !!!! A few brands don't dissolve. Always get losec or acimax. Ozmep and a few others don't. Same drug it's just formed differently.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

samantha81  (09-12-2011)

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's important to remember too, that losec (in any brand) doesn't dissolve to a clear liquid, it actually dissolutes, to a suspension of water and particles (granules) this can sometimes take a bit of time and/or agitation of the water.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to swizzlestick For This Useful Post:

samantha81  (09-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    But the generics dont disperse at all. The pink rectangle ones do but the brown rabbit poo looking ones won't. Acimax is the generic for losec so there is no extra cost like the losec.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

samantha81  (09-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your replies!! The generic brand I got says Losec multiple unit pellet system. And I put half the tablet in teaspoon of water and it did disperse..I couldnt really see the granules so am guessing they dispersed as well/
    Thanks for all your help!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samantha81 View Post
    Thanks for all your replies!! The generic brand I got says Losec multiple unit pellet system. And I put half the tablet in teaspoon of water and it did disperse..I couldnt really see the granules so am guessing they dispersed as well/
    Thanks for all your help!!
    All losec tabs are multiple pellet systems.

Some brands have smaller granules than the others. Putting the tab on a spoon in warm water is the best way to get it down.

Just remember, putting it in BM or formula will stop it from working.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TripleTime For This Useful Post:

samantha81  (09-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    All losec tabs are multiple pellet systems.

Some brands have smaller granules than the others. Putting the tab on a spoon in warm water is the best way to get it down.

Just remember, putting it in BM or formula will stop it from working.
    Thanks triple time! the doctor did mention not to put them in bm or formula.