View Poll Results: Should children have their father's surname?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he is the father regardless and deserves that respect.

6 6.52%
  • No, they should almost always have their mother's surname.

1 1.09%
  • It depends on what BOTH parents prefer.

48 52.17%
  • Only if the man is a regular in the child's life.

9 9.78%
  • Not if the mother doesn't want it to be.

10 10.87%
  • Not if they're not a couple when the mother has the baby.

9 9.78%
  • Other (please tell!)

9 9.78%
  • WTF? This poll has stupid options! (Shut up - I couldn't think of any better ones! lol)

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    My children have my last name and i wouldn't have it any other way. I personally don't agree with the 'it's the done thing' argument. Marriage before having a baby was the done thing once upon a time yet stats came out the other day showing that more and more babies are being born out of wedlock.
    Times have changed and women have just as much right as men these days. Anything goes when it comes to naming your child.

I was not willing to compromise on my childrens surname when they were born. I would have fought it all the way to court if i had to. My ex wasn't fazed though. The only argument i got was from his mother and her opinion is incredibly insignificant in the grand scheme of things anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We married before we had any kids and I was happy to take on my husband's surname as I knew it meant more to him for me to do that, then for me to keep my own surname. I loved him first and foremost and taking on his name was just another dimension to that, so it was no biggy and of course all our children have the same surname too.

I have two brothers who have gone on to have sons, so thankfully my maiden name will not die out.

Like most people have previously stated, it just depends on your circumstances really and what is important to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would like to see further elaboration from those who picked option 1 or 2, although I am aware this is anonymous so I don't really expect it. Just seems so outdated and icky to me. Every family is different, so to me there is no "always" or even "almost always" anymore. Personal choice, depends on a lot of factors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not married and when bub comes he will get dps surname. We plan on getting married one day and I will take his name, so I'm giving ds his name as then I will only need to change mine once married.
    I agree it's completely personal and there is no right or wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a happy little traditionalist. I'm married and took my husband's surname. Our children will share our surname name too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My baby will be taking my DPs surname, we are together and I know for a fact if we broke up then he will be there for his son no matter what, I know a lot of people would be like "yeah right if that's what you think, just wait" but I know it, his family would never not be apart of my child's life, same with my DP.
    We'd also would be planning our wedding by now but we decided to put most of our money to the baby as well as Saving for a house and putting money in our savings account, when we have enough money we will be having our wedding were our little boy will be in it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    All depends on the parents

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in the position now where I am considering what to about surnames. My son has my surname, I was not with the father when he was born so there was no two ways about it. I am currently pregnant with my second & the relationship is faar from stable. I am seriously considering giving this child my surname, or at the least hyphenating. Why shouldn't the 3 of us all have have the same surname, we're the 3 that will be family NO MATTER WHAT!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    I intensely regret giving my kids MOTH's surname only. DD has often expressed the desire to have Mummy's name too - its an identy thing for her, and I'm not changing my name and dumping my identity

We are about to change DD's name to have both our surnames hyphenated
    We've discussed doing this too.

I'm fairly sure I want to keep my surname if we get married, but when we named jasper I had thought I would change, now I'm not so sure. I would like if we have different surnames that our kids have both.

DF chops & changes how he feels about this. Sometimes he's keen. Sometimes not so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD has my surname. There was no way i was going to give her any other last name.

This bub will have DP's surname. So there will be 2 of each surname in this house