View Poll Results: Should children have their father's surname?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he is the father regardless and deserves that respect.

6 6.52%
  • No, they should almost always have their mother's surname.

1 1.09%
  • It depends on what BOTH parents prefer.

48 52.17%
  • Only if the man is a regular in the child's life.

9 9.78%
  • Not if the mother doesn't want it to be.

10 10.87%
  • Not if they're not a couple when the mother has the baby.

9 9.78%
  • Other (please tell!)

9 9.78%
  • WTF? This poll has stupid options! (Shut up - I couldn't think of any better ones! lol)

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    For me it was easy! I was given my fathers surname as my parents were married at the time, 5yrs later they divorced and my father was more out then in my life. My younger brother has fathers surname also and hates it because he doesn't want to be associated with such a low life! He has talked about changing HIS surname if he gets married.
    Both I and our 2 dd's have taken on my husbands name and bub#3 will also. My husband is nothing like my father and my children will hopefully grow up proud of their surname and the family unit that we are

Their are 100 different situations and I think YOU most of all have to be confident and happy with the decision you make

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my case is a bit different but i'll answer anyway. xp and i were going to give the kids her surname. it's less teasable than mine. if/when we married i was also going to take it for the same reason.

if i have kids single they'll get my name, tha'ts a given. part of hte whole sperm donor thing is they provide sperm- not a name, not on the birth cert, no contact unless we arrange it when the kid is a teenager and wants to trace their roots, and only then if everyone is agreeable..

if i repartner (when, hopefully!) then i'll have to see.

but even in hetero relationships no, i absolutely don't believe the dad's name should be automatic. not at all. yick. if the mum wants the dad's name to be there, that's a different story.

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In the absence of consensus to the contrary, yes, I believe they should.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I intensely regret giving my kids MOTH's surname only. DD has often expressed the desire to have Mummy's name too - its an identy thing for her, and I'm not changing my name and dumping my identity

We are about to change DD's name to have both our surnames hyphenated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's really a matter of personal circumstances.

In my situation, I took DH's name when we married because it was more important to him that I did, than it was to me to keep my own. Plus, I wanted to have the same name as any children. So we all have the same surname. If we were ever to divorce, I would keep his name. not sure what I would do if I remarried.

But, if I had been single, any kids would have been given my name.

If I was in a long term relationship, their fathers.

If we broke up during pregnancy, mine.

I don't believe it should be automatic. Unfortunately, there are a lot of men out there who display absolutely no interest in their children. I don't believe they should be entitled to pass their name along if they are not going to actively participate in their child's lives.

Simply passing on a name does not make you a father, and I think more men need to realise this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    In the absence of consensus to the contrary, yes, I believe they should.
    Can you elaborate? I'd be interested to know why you feel that way. If I had more children they would all have my last name, however the father may still have been on the birth certificate. With DD, her father is not on hers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think that if the father is an active part of the child's life then yes, they should have his surname. Its just the way I was brought up. I Have my fathers surname and my parents divorced when I was 5. My mother tried to hyphenate it to include her re married name and I hated that and it offended my dad.

When I was pregnant with ds I had only known my.partner 2 months. He broke it off with me at 12 weeks pregnant but I decided to still give the baby his surname (mind you dp had said he wanted baby to have my name). He is a lovely guy and very much a part of ds life. Turns out I made the right decision because now we are going to get married.

If the father was a deadbeat or not present then baby would have my name. I have no problems with other couples giving the baby the mothers last name or hyphenating. Just not something would readily do myself.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD1 has my surname. Her bio dad and I broke up while I was pregnant and hasn't been in her life at all. His surname is irrelevant to her, in fact she has never even asked what it is.

DP is now a dad to both my children so DD2 (his bio child as well) has my DP's name. It just seemed fair to have one of each. (hypenating was not an option, it just sounded to much of a mouthful).

DP actually considered taking my name, just to keep it simpler. But his family were most unimpressed, and it didn't seem worthwhile pushing the issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
    My DD1 has my surname. Her bio dad and I broke up while I was pregnant and hasn't been in her life at all. His surname is irrelevant to her, in fact she has never even asked what it is.
    My 8 year old has never asked either and is not concerned. The family to her consists of me, my mum, and my 2 brothers, and we all share the same surname. Mine has deep heritage. How unfair would it have been for her to have a different surname to the rest of her whole family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i had my mum's and dad's last name.. in saying that though i did end up dropping my mum's just because it was too long. now im married i dont have to worry about that though :P
    i dont think it really matters though. my step sister, although the father of her son is actively in their lives (they arent together though, but were when he was born), gave her son her last name and not his dads.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast