View Poll Results: Should children have their father's surname?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he is the father regardless and deserves that respect.

6 6.52%
  • No, they should almost always have their mother's surname.

1 1.09%
  • It depends on what BOTH parents prefer.

48 52.17%
  • Only if the man is a regular in the child's life.

9 9.78%
  • Not if the mother doesn't want it to be.

10 10.87%
  • Not if they're not a couple when the mother has the baby.

9 9.78%
  • Other (please tell!)

9 9.78%
  • WTF? This poll has stupid options! (Shut up - I couldn't think of any better ones! lol)

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our child has both of our surnames.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Do they even do mediation when one half is not in the same country? I don't even have an address or phone number anyway.
    Wow... He really has fallen off the face of the earth hasn't he.. I strongly suggest speaking to legal aid and even getting some advice from a child psychologist to support your case. I'm not familiar with OS mediation but we do phone mediation as FOB is interstate.
    I'll PM you a number that I used for the mediation service, they could probably help with advice on him being uncontactable.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (09-12-2011),share a book  (09-12-2011)

Guest Guest
    Good question. I like tradition when it comes to this sort of thing and it was the main reason I got married and changed my name to dh's, so when I have kids we'd all have the same surname (plus I hated my maiden name).
    If we weren't together they'd have kept my name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD and I have DH's surname. It was just a given. It's actually so much easier to pronounce our surname then it was my maiden name. People always said it how it was spelt!

mystical mumma is offline * ʇı ǝןoʇs sǝıɹıɐɟ ǝɥʇ ˙˙˙puıɯ ʎɯ ʇsoן ʇuǝʌɐɥ ı *
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlerayofsunshine View Post
    I dont see why the fathers surname I's more important then the mothers.
    My dd has her bio dads surname because I thought it was the right thing to do even though we were barely together. Now I'm married to my wonderful dh and I have taken his surname, our children will have the same surname and because dd bio dad I's a complete **** and u need to have his signature to change any part of her name she I's stuck with it and I hate it.
    I think that seeing as I'm her legal guardian and her mother, I'm the one who makes sure she I's feed, clothed and generally looked after I should be able to do whatever I want I'n regards to her. Including changing her name.
    Sorry I'f I offend it's a very touchy subject for me.
    I feel the exact same way with my DS. He hates not having my married name. He (at 6 years old) asked me if he could change it to my husband (not ds's dad) name.

I have asked and even agreed to hyphen... But have had no luck as he is the only one to carry on that family name, I think that is utter cr@p! All because of his grandfather!

How are the grandfathers wishes more important to my sons?

I think his name sounds better with DH name too as FOB surname is rather sh!t and embarrassing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Although I'm in a committed relationship with her father, DD has my surname. When we get married I'll keep it too. We're not particularly traditional and to me it makes a lot more sense for children to have their mother's name. Having said that, if we'd had a boy he would have had DP's name as mine is quite feminine. We were in complete agreement about the name

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    When and if i ever get married, i will keep my surname and any future children i have will also have my last name.

There isnt any particular reason for it but its how i want it to be.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    1. DD1 had her dad XH's surname

2. when separated i reverted to maiden name and hyphoned maiden name with X surname for DD1.

3. when i married DH i took his surname so DD1 then becomes XH surname-DH surname.

poor DD1 hope she doesnt have an identity crisis one day. the changes i made were all done in good will and with her being my top priority.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also id not attempt to put her father on her birth certificate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    In a relationship couple decides.

If not. The primary carer should decide.

A mothers surname is no less valid just because she carried and birthed the child!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

nicoletta  (09-12-2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast