View Poll Results: Should children have their father's surname?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he is the father regardless and deserves that respect.

6 6.52%
  • No, they should almost always have their mother's surname.

1 1.09%
  • It depends on what BOTH parents prefer.

48 52.17%
  • Only if the man is a regular in the child's life.

9 9.78%
  • Not if the mother doesn't want it to be.

10 10.87%
  • Not if they're not a couple when the mother has the baby.

9 9.78%
  • Other (please tell!)

9 9.78%
  • WTF? This poll has stupid options! (Shut up - I couldn't think of any better ones! lol)

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't think there should be any real rules, although society seems to think the father by default should have his name used. If I had a baby to a jerk I would put him on the BC (excluding issues of violence, stalking,abuse, so for safety reasons), but I probably wouldn't use his name. In my eyes it's a privilege not a right.... why should some jerk get that?

Respect is earnt, not demanded. My kids both have my DH's name, partly bc we were married before kids, but even if we weren't I would of used his name. Bc despite his faults he's a great father that would always stay involved no matter what.

Call me man hating, I don't care :P I just can't stand the notion that men deserve the respect of using their name purely bc they are male. I find that old fashioned notion anti woman really

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

laurea  (10-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There really is no correct answer for this because it all comes down to personal circumstances.

My son has DH's surname even though I kept my own surname when we got married. Both DH's parents died when he was young, he has one sister who we rarely see (she's married and changed her surname) - DH is the only one left from his family with his surname. I have a huge family and a brother to "carry on the legacy" of my surname.

I'm happy DS has DH's surname for the above reasons I'm also happy because my older daughter from a previous relationship has her dad's surname so it's nice to have a different surname to *both* children if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danielle13 View Post
    DD has DPs surname, but that's because we're engaged (have been for YEARS), and when we marry I will take his surname. Then we'll all have the same surname.

Just taking a little longer than planned..

I don't get when kids get their dads surname though when the parents aren't together... My sister has a daughter to a one night stand and she has his surname.. I find that odd.
    I could almost have written this post too! well except for the sister part! My sister is with the father still, not married but used both surnames for the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids have my last name - why would I give them their dads if I would never take it?

When we married, dh took my last name... Be kinda stupid if dh & I had the same last name and the kids had dads old name...

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    FOB hates his father, and with plenty of good reason. He considered changing his last name many times but in the end decided that he would keep the name and prove that the name doesnt mean squat. He wanted to prove that he could be a better person than his father and redeem the name...start a new line so to speak.

When DS was born, we gave him FOB last name as it was the done thing. My father begged me to use my surname instead, but I had no reason to. I was with FOB and was going to marry him and take his surname too. Obviously that never happened, but it doesnt bother me one little bit that DS has FOB last name.

Im not one of those people who question these kinds of traditions. I just go along with it and dont put too much thought into it to be honest....and couldnt care less what other people choose to do.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (10-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were married before having kids, so it was a non issue (as i took his name anyway)

However, I was the result of a one night stand, and my mum gave me her surname, then met a new partner (who was my birth fathers cousin so had the same last name as my birth father) and had children with him, so they took his last name. I felt left out. When i met my birth dad at age 12, I took his surname hyphenated with my mums. In my mind this made me feel more like part of the family - even more so when my brother and sisters hyphenated their names so we were all the same

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's tricky. I would never change my name,even if married, and feel strongly about it.

When I was pregnant, we discussed it, and the only equitable way would be to hyphenate. But our surnames do not work hyphenated and are both awkward to spell.

It was too much trouble to invent a whole new name.

I defaulted to tradition and my son has his father's name. I guess I could have given him my surname as a middle name, but am not really fussed on middle names.

If I was pregnant and the father was unlikely to be involved, then I would argue for my surname.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I am with Ana in that I never really questioned it - I just did what I'd always thought was "what you do."

I didn't know that DD's father was going to be a loser and abandon her and never contact her/not pay child support/etc etc... I thought that even if we broke up oneday, he'd be there for her... so I had no issues giving her his name anyway.

I kinda regret it now though, even though I couldn't have known it'd be this way. She doesn't WANT his surname. She doesn't see him, she doesn't hear from him, he abandoned her and she knows it. It's not even like her cousins on his side (who she adores) have the same surname... she pretty much knows nobody with the same surname who is also a part of her family. (There are people, but nobody who actually keeps in contact with her).

She wants my surname.

I'm actually at a loss about what to do in future with future children. The idea that DD will be the odd one out if I marry, take on DPs name and our kids have that name too... it makes my heart hurt for her. I am thinking of making her "known as," my surname (so not legally changing it, but using it anyway) and maybe just keeping my own surname/hyphenating my name to include both DPs and mine if we marry... so DD will have part of me in her name, and so will my other kids. Even though my name will then be ridiculously long. lol.
    Have you thought about seeking legal advice?
    If it is honestly in C's best interest and G refuses mediation etc you have a VERY good chance of a judge ruling in C's favour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely depends on the situation but it does sadden me that some people would think it bad to even consider giving the mothers name because of tradition etc. 

I have my mothers surname. My father wasn't a part of my life from day one. He isn't on my birth certificate and I'm very happy about that! He had plenty of chances to prove himself and both my mother and myself were incredibly patient (for nothing). I've always hated my surname though, for no reason other than the way it sounds and that I got teased a lot about it at school. I don't feel any family tie to it and thought about changing it for years. One day I told someone I wanted to change my name and they said, "what will you change it to, your fathers surname?" knowing full well he was a total drop-kick! It made me really sad.

As for my belly babe, it will be getting DP's surname. Firstly, I still dislike my surname greatly and won't pass it on to any child I have (if I were to have a child to a man that I knew would not be in the child's life, I would give it a name of my choosing and probably change my name to the same). Secondly, I want our child to have the same surname as DP's daughter as I know it will mean a lot to her. Thirdly, his surname is SO NICE. Lastly, after seeing the relationship he has with his 14yr daughter (whose mother is a complete psycho/deadbeat mum and they have been separated since J was 1) I know that no matter what happens between us, our child will always be a huge and important part of his life. 

My thoughts go out to all you tough ladies who are dealing with the drop kicks xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Have you thought about seeking legal advice?
    If it is honestly in C's best interest and G refuses mediation etc you have a VERY good chance of a judge ruling in C's favour.
    Do they even do mediation when one half is not in the same country? I don't even have an address or phone number anyway.